The Student Room Group

bad ukcat score

sorry to be another post like this but I'm really worried after messing up my ukcat.
I got an average of 665 (vr really brought it down) and band 1 in sj. my predicted grades are a*a*a.

is there any point applying to do medicine with such a bad ukcat score? if so are there any unis that generally have low ukcat standards?
I've heard that Keele could be a good choice but is there any chance that I could aim a little higher? (wishful thinking i know!)
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Your UKCAT really isn't as bad as you think. It is definitely above average.

Going by last year I think you would probably be good for all but about 5 universities with that score.

Hope this helps!
Original post by qawsedre
sorry to be another post like this but I'm really worried after messing up my ukcat.
I got an average of 665 (vr really brought it down) and band 1 in sj. my predicted grades are a*a*a.

is there any point applying to do medicine with such a bad ukcat score? if so are there any unis that generally have low ukcat standards?
I've heard that Keele could be a good choice but is there any chance that I could aim a little higher? (wishful thinking i know!)

May I just ask why you think that's a bad UKCAT score? Have you checked the national average over the years - which gives you an average for all the medical students in the UK? Since when was above average considered 'bad'?
Reply 3
Original post by Immunology
May I just ask why you think that's a bad UKCAT score? Have you checked the national average over the years - which gives you an average for all the medical students in the UK? Since when was above average considered 'bad'?

I've seen the majority of people on here with an average over 700, and have also seen people saying that anything lower won't get you an offer which really worried me so I wanted to check just in case.
also while the average for the people taking the test is lower, the average for people who actually end up applying to do medicine seems to be a different story!
(edited 6 years ago)
I've seen the majority of people on here with an average over 700, and have also seen people saying that anything lower won't get you an offer which really worried me so I wanted to check just in case.
also while the average for the people taking the test is lower, the average for people actually applying to do medicine seems to be a different story!

A friend of mine got around 650 last year and he got all 4 of his offers. A lot of people are trolls on TSR, do not take them serious. The national average is what you should be focusing on, which is normally 630 which you are well over. Therefore, you really do not have much to worry about. If you needed above 700 to get into medical school, there wouldn't be that many medics lol.

In fact, my year a score of 710 was the 10th decile. Let's round that down to 700 and therefore lets say 10% of the population who took the UKCAT, got an offer. Looking at the application:redface:ffer ratio on the TSR table shows an average of about 5 or 6 applications per offer. So, in simple terms, if only people who got 700+ got offers, medical schools would be half empty lmao.
Reply 5
Original post by pleasejesus
Your UKCAT really isn't as bad as you think. It is definitely above average.

Going by last year I think you would probably be good for all but about 5 universities with that score.

Hope this helps!

thank you, that's definitely very reassuring!! sorry to pester you but which universities are the 5 that I should avoid? I really don't want to waste an option,, thank you again!
Reply 6
thank you, that's definitely very reassuring!! sorry to pester you but which universities are the 5 that I should avoid? I really don't want to waste an option,, thank you again!

Newcastle, Sheffield, Southampton, Manchester. Idk about King's or Bart's

From memory these include Kings, Newcastle, Edinburgh..... There are definitely a few more.

Good options would be: Liverpool, St Georges.....

I would recommend also sitting the BMAT as it will open up more options.
From memory these include Kings, Newcastle, Edinburgh..... There are definitely a few more.

Do note that some unis have a specific cut off for each section so check for that too
Reply 9
A friend of mine got around 650 last year and he got all 4 of his offers. A lot of people are trolls on TSR, do not take them serious. The national average is what you should be focusing on, which is normally 630 which you are well over. Therefore, you really do not have much to worry about. If you needed above 700 to get into medical school, there wouldn't be that many medics lol.

In fact, my year a score of 710 was the 10th decile. Let's round that down to 700 and therefore lets say 10% of the population who took the UKCAT, got an offer. Looking at the application:redface:ffer ratio on the TSR table shows an average of about 5 or 6 applications per offer. So, in simple terms, if only people who got 700+ got offers, medical schools would be half empty lmao.

i didn't know that you could get in with an average 650 so that's a relief!
that's a good point i didn't think about that. i've seen people saying that they got nearly 900 in every section so i kind of assumed a lot of people got scores like that, which i realise now is a bit stupid!

thank you so much, i really appreciate it - definitely feel a lot better about it all now!!
i didn't know that you could get in with an average 650 so that's a relief!
that's a good point i didn't think about that. i've seen people saying that they got nearly 900 in every section so i kind of assumed a lot of people got scores like that, which i realise now is a bit stupid!

thank you so much, i really appreciate it - definitely feel a lot better about it all now!!

No worries, think tactically. Although your UKCAT is not a 'bad' score, it is not insanely good either so stick away from the universities like Newcastle who care a lot about it. Their cut off is normally high as that's where most people who have the high UKCAT apply. Your application is very strong in terms of GCSE and stuff so I would highly recommend Birmingham or Liverpool.
Reply 11
Original post by mosam00
Newcastle, Sheffield, Southampton, Manchester. Idk about King's or Bart's

thank you, i'll keep away from them, they do seem to be the harshest ones!
Reply 12

liverpool and st georges look good so i think i'll go with them! yeah i was thinking about doing the bmat, will probably do it now just to make sure i have the best chance. thank you!

Uvuvwevwevwe Onyetenyevwe Ugwemuhwem Osas
Original post by Nuba123
Uvuvwevwevwe Onyetenyevwe Ugwemuhwem Osas

That is my name.
I know someone who got 630 and got an offer
nd here i am with my stupid 640 *cries*
But hopefully i get 3A* prediction when I get back for A2 bc i did well in AS *fingers crossed*
Reply 17
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I know someone who got 630 and got an offer

wow hopefully it's the same for me!! do you know where they applied to? congratulations to them!
Reply 18
Original post by Attempt2
nd here i am with my stupid 640 *cries*
But hopefully i get 3A* prediction when I get back for A2 bc i did well in AS *fingers crossed*

from the sounds of it 640 is still pretty good, especially with those amazing predicted grades!! good luck with everything!
wow hopefully it's the same for me!! do you know where they applied to? congratulations to them!

UCL, Birmingham, Liverpool and Brighton & Sussex. Got interviews at all but Liverpool. Offer from BSMS

Quick Reply

Latest