legallyblind
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am aware that all my 3 HLs are very content-heavy.
1) Anyone have any tips/study strats if you took any one of these HLs for a 7?
2) for Bio and Chem HL, i've heard we also have to learn the historical context of the discoveries. How much of that do we have to know?
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Victoria Soh)
I am aware that all my 3 HLs are very content-heavy.
1) Anyone have any tips/study strats if you took any one of these HLs for a 7?
2) for Bio and Chem HL, i've heard we also have to learn the historical context of the discoveries. How much of that do we have to know?
1. I was close to 7 in Biology (messed up on paper 2) so my best advice is to do a lot of practice papers for paper 2 as time management is key to success in that paper. For the IA for both chemistry and biology, start early because you might have to spend quite some time in the lab. Things in the lab may not go to plan (I was the first one to start my chemistry IA but I was the last one to finish because of unexpected things that happened during experimentation process) so plan ahead and make time for this.

In terms of material synthesis, organization is key to success especially when you are doing chemistry and biology at higher level. When you go back home after every class, organise your notes and do practice questions to see if you actually understand the material. Highlight the parts of the material you don't understand and ask the teacher the next day. It may sound simple but doing this will go a long way in helping you improve your scores especially when IB becomes too busy. Have the Biology and Chemistry Guide in hand as well and check over parts of the syllabus (each topic with HL additional material) because the exam will all come from that syllabus and the questions come from that syllabus as well. For Paper 1, practice a lot of papers as well as that is probably what made my Paper 1 score a 7.

2. Not that much historical context honestly, personally I enjoyed reading up on the history as science is a process but if you look at the textbook, usually there will be little boxes that explain what you need to know in terms of historical context.- In both biology and chemistry, knowing some of these historical experiments could help a student a lot in terms of understanding the material, e.g. Meselson and Stahl, for semiconservative replication of DNA.

I didn't do History at HL so can't really help there other than general study techniques that may not apply to the IB curriculum. :/

Hope this helps and good luck in your IB journey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
legallyblind
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by wolfmoon88)
1. I was close to 7 in Biology (messed up on paper 2) so my best advice is to do a lot of practice papers for paper 2 as time management is key to success in that paper. For the IA for both chemistry and biology, start early because you might have to spend quite some time in the lab. Things in the lab may not go to plan (I was the first one to start my chemistry IA but I was the last one to finish because of unexpected things that happened during experimentation process) so plan ahead and make time for this.

In terms of material synthesis, organization is key to success especially when you are doing chemistry and biology at higher level. When you go back home after every class, organise your notes and do practice questions to see if you actually understand the material. Highlight the parts of the material you don't understand and ask the teacher the next day. It may sound simple but doing this will go a long way in helping you improve your scores especially when IB becomes too busy. Have the Biology and Chemistry Guide in hand as well and check over parts of the syllabus (each topic with HL additional material) because the exam will all come from that syllabus and the questions come from that syllabus as well. For Paper 1, practice a lot of papers as well as that is probably what made my Paper 1 score a 7.

2. Not that much historical context honestly, personally I enjoyed reading up on the history as science is a process but if you look at the textbook, usually there will be little boxes that explain what you need to know in terms of historical context.- In both biology and chemistry, knowing some of these historical experiments could help a student a lot in terms of understanding the material, e.g. Meselson and Stahl, for semiconservative replication of DNA.

I didn't do History at HL so can't really help there other than general study techniques that may not apply to the IB curriculum. :/

Hope this helps and good luck in your IB journey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much! I wasn't expecting such a full answer this was very helpful!
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Victoria Soh)
Thanks so much! I wasn't expecting such a full answer this was very helpful!
No problem glad it helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads