The Student Room Group

Applying to law with failed law AS Level?

Long story short, I didn't do very well in my A Levels (CDE) and I failed law at AS. Now I enrolled onto an Access Course -after doing a year a uni, so I know I have improved (managed to get a first overall), however I hated the course so I'm thinking about doing law.

The Access is in English Lit&Lang, Politics&IR as well as History. The plan is to get all distinctions with is possible if I put the work in.

My question is, if I get the distinctions, will my A Levels be overlooked? Especially the one in Law.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lawless_
Long story short, I didn't do very well in my A Levels (CDE) and I failed law at AS. Now I enrolled onto an Access Course -after doing a year a uni, so I know I have improved (managed to get a first overall), however I hated the course so I'm thinking about doing law.

The Access is in English Lit&Lang, Politics&IR as well as History. The plan is to get all distinctions with is possible if I put the work in.

My question is, if I get the distinctions, will my A Levels be overlooked? Especially the one in Law.

The answer is maybe. But to be blunt, you really have to rethink your decision to study law if you can't even pass it at AS level. AS levels are extremely easy and I scored 100 UMS or close to that in all of my AS level modules. Law at uni is difficult and only for the most intellectually capable students.
You will probably get into some second/third-tier unis. QMUL etc.

Law at degree level is completely different to Law at A level - hence why some universities are indifferent to whether you have studied it or not.

People who study Law at degree level have a varied background of A level subjects, from Drama to Classics, and Religious Studies to Government and Politics - even economics.

Considering your Access course is in good subjects for Law (in terms of success rates) I would definitely give it a shot and apply for Law - don't even be afraid to apply for the top universities as they will consider you.
Study whatever you like. But be under no illusions that your academic record to date is going to severely hinder your ability to actually get past the hurdles required to practice law post-university. Employers are brutal when it comes to students who have any blips in their academic results: because there are enough students out there without such blips that employers can afford to be brutal.

So if you want to study law because you think you'll like it, great. But if you want to study law because you want to be a lawyer, think long and hard because you have a rough road ahead.
Reply 5
Original post by jessjanellbhons1
The answer is maybe. But to be blunt, you really have to rethink your decision to study law if you can't even pass it at AS level. AS levels are extremely easy and I scored 100 UMS or close to that in all of my AS level modules. Law at uni is difficult and only for the most intellectually capable students.

I'm sure it might've been easy for you but some people have mitigating circumstances!

I have actually managed to get a first in economics and accounting in my first year at uni as well as all distinctions in my maths access course so I'm not that dumb thanks:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Cubone-r
Law at degree level is completely different to Law at A level - hence why some universities are indifferent to whether you have studied it or not.

People who study Law at degree level have a varied background of A level subjects, from Drama to Classics, and Religious Studies to Government and Politics - even economics.

Considering your Access course is in good subjects for Law (in terms of success rates) I would definitely give it a shot and apply for Law - don't even be afraid to apply for the top universities as they will consider you.

Thank you, that's very helpful!
Reply 7
Original post by Crumpet1
Study whatever you like. But be under no illusions that your academic record to date is going to severely hinder your ability to actually get past the hurdles required to practice law post-university. Employers are brutal when it comes to students who have any blips in their academic results: because there are enough students out there without such blips that employers can afford to be brutal.

So if you want to study law because you think you'll like it, great. But if you want to study law because you want to be a lawyer, think long and hard because you have a rough road ahead.

Thank you, that's why I have doubts as I'm aware how brutal law is, I know that they look at you as a whole rather than what you you got in your degree alone.

Thank you
AS levels are extremely easy and I scored 100 UMS or close to that in all of my AS level modules.

I understand you're trying to help the OP but calling AS's easy when many people fail them after hours of hard work and effort isn't fair. You're a really smart individual, so they may be easy for you but may not be for other people.

Also to the OP, there are always legal apprenticeships if university isn't going to work out, whether it be higher or degree apprenticeships. Law is competitive but I would speak to the universities you're interested in and look at the requirements to see if the grades for your access course is enough to get in. If you really want it, go for it :smile: places like ARU which I've looked at have a nice law department with lower requirements than other universities (96 UCAS to 112 I think) and have the facilities available for you to proceed to being a barrister or solicitor. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
You will probably get into some second/third-tier unis. QMUL etc.

Is QMUL considered a second tier choice for law? I've heard amazing things about their law school. Their legal advice clinic just celebrated some kind of achievement IIRC.
Original post by MelTranfield
Is QMUL considered a second tier choice for law? I've heard amazing things about their law school. Their legal advice clinic just celebrated some kind of achievement IIRC.

It is not an insult. However, it's not in the same category as Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, Durham.
Reply 11
Original post by ExoIceCream99
I understand you're trying to help the OP but calling AS's easy when many people fail them after hours of hard work and effort isn't fair. You're a really smart individual, so they may be easy for you but may not be for other people.

Also to the OP, there are always legal apprenticeships if university isn't going to work out, whether it be higher or degree apprenticeships. Law is competitive but I would speak to the universities you're interested in and look at the requirements to see if the grades for your access course is enough to get in. If you really want it, go for it :smile: places like ARU which I've looked at have a nice law department with lower requirements than other universities (96 UCAS to 112 I think) and have the facilities available for you to proceed to being a barrister or solicitor. Hope this helps :smile:

Very helpful thank you! I actually emailed each one of the unis that I'm considering to see what they have to say :smile:
Reply 12
It is not an insult. However, it's not in the same category as Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, Durham.

I'm looking at Exeter/Warwick at the moment which aren't too bad! Possibly Bristol, not sure about LNAT though
Very helpful thank you! I actually emailed each one of the unis that I'm considering to see what they have to say :smile:

I hope it works out for you :smile:
I'm looking at Exeter/Warwick at the moment which aren't too bad! Possibly Bristol, not sure about LNAT though

Yeah, those are doable. Have a few ambitious, have a punt on Bristol and Notts.
Ignore that poster. She's quite bright, but she has issues. She can't make a post without it containing something about her personal achievements. It's quite bizarre.

Nah, I've made numerous posts without mentioning any of my personal achievements. But in this case, it is apt to compare results, i.e. apples to apples instead of apples to oranges. After learning law, you learn to make tons of comparisons (analogising and distinguishing skills). Having a limited dataset, I sometimes compare others with myself.

Thus, I am well aware of how easy AS levels are, having done them myself. With grade inflation, they should be even easier now than when I did them back then, so I think it was a fair comparison. Also, I am aware of what is covered at AS level law, so I am quite sure that if one can't handle that, then uni-level law is out of the question. I understand too that there might be mitigating circumstances, but please... you can't fail AS level law and score a first in Oxbridge law.
Nah, I've made numerous posts without mentioning any of my personal achievements. But in this case, it is apt to compare results, i.e. apples to apples instead of apples to oranges. After learning law, you learn to make tons of comparisons (analogising and distinguishing skills). Having a limited dataset, I sometimes compare others with myself.

Thus, I am well aware of how easy AS levels are, having done them myself. With grade inflation, they should be even easier now than when I did them back then, so I think it was a fair comparison. Also, I am aware of what is covered at AS level law, so I am quite sure that if one can't handle that, then uni-level law is out of the question. I understand too that there might be mitigating circumstances, but please... you can't fail AS level law and score a first in Oxbridge law.

You don't know how invested the OP was in his/her studies. If this person simply underprepared, next time round they might know to do a lot better. It's similar to people scoring a 2:2 in first year and developing into a first overall. People learn from their mistakes. Not everyone has had the same journey as you.

You do mention your achievements in nearly every post. I am not sure why; it's usually the people who have something to prove who are braggy. It is okay normally because you have a lot of relevant advice to give, but here you have no knowledge of performing averagely at A-Level so you cannot possibly give experience-based advice.
Reply 17
Original post by ExoIceCream99
I hope it works out for you :smile:

Thank you!

Yeah, those are doable. Have a few ambitious, have a punt on Bristol and Notts.

That's the plan. LNAT is scary but I wanna try it at least

I don't feel the need to explain my reasons why I failed it. Good thing I'm not planning to apply to Oxbridge then aye:biggrin:

You don't know how invested the OP was in his/her studies. If this person simply underprepared, next time round they might know to do a lot better. It's similar to people scoring a 2:2 in first year and developing into a first overall. People learn from their mistakes. Not everyone has had the same journey as you.

You do mention your achievements in nearly every post. I am not sure why; it's usually the people who have something to prove who are braggy. It is okay normally because you have a lot of relevant advice to give, but here you have no knowledge of performing averagely at A-Level so you cannot possibly give experience-based advice.

As you said- people learn from their mistakes. If I can get a first in Econ at a RG uni after failing my A Levels, I don't understand why I wouldn't be able to get a first in law if I put the work in...
Quoting from Notorious_B.I.G. him/herself in another thread, commenting on the difference between law at A-Level and law at uni:

"It is harder than A-Level Law. It is not simply memorising as A-Level law is; it requires analytical abilities."

lawless, I am not trying to be nasty or anything. I am well aware that you may be intelligent when it comes to econ. But people are talented in different ways.

For instance, I did horribly at med school (was forced to study it by my Asian parents) and that is why I switched to law. That doesn't mean I'm an idiot, right. It just means I lack the talent to memorise lots of medical jargon and regurgitate it in exams.

Similarly, you may be great at econs. But I just want you to be wary before taking the plunge and enrolling yourself in a law school. This advice is for your own good, so that you don't repeat my mistake of going to med school and waste time doing something you weren't meant to do.
No, I don't think any law school, which is ranked #35 in the entire world out of all law school, by the QS Rankings (2016) can be at all considered second tier! Now, I will say that there is a difference, perhaps, among those top 10-15 law schools in the world, in terms of them all having extreme admission acceptance rates as low as say, 14% for Oxford, and varying from there-obviously those are elite programs IN TERMS of the rate of acceptance of who they accept, general reputation, etc. Doesn't mean that the level of attention, interaction, and connections you get from QMUL will not be superb. Obviously, Cambridge and Oxford are at one level in terms of their rankings, and then you have (in terms of the UK), the rest of the field, like KCL, QMUL, UCL, LSE, and others...so while QMUL may NOT be Oxbridge, in the UK-yet and still it has a fine reputation, and I think, really, the number of programs in the UK holding places in the top law schools worldwide, is highly revealing of the quality level of education available in law in the UK overall-the level of innovation, and level of research/scholarship, and contributions to the legal arena across the world.

So the amazing things you have heard about QMUL are very true, well earned, well deserved and you should check out their postgraduate bulletin, which has some further details about the QMUL experience. (I'm definitely applying there for my Phd in law)

Original post by MelTranfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending