Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"Vote for the Best Brain of UKL." watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Who's Fermat?

ReputationRep:
    What about Seer? Does anybody remember his A-level marks? They were absolutely incredible! I was stunned....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Some guy who made a stupid problem years ago, did nothing at all, some genius spends years using great mathematical skills to solve it, and yet "Fermat" gets the credit rather than the guy who's genius solved this problem.

What a joke.
    Fermats Last Theorem is one of the most important problems in mathematics, and the various attempted solutions over the years have resulted in groundbreaking discoveries in maths, it's hardly stupid... (although Wiles deserves more credit than he gets)

ReputationRep:
    Some guy who made a stupid problem years ago, did nothing at all, some genius spends years using great mathematical skills to solve it, and yet "Fermat" gets the credit rather than the guy who's genius solved this problem.

What a joke.
    You're the joke- with that comment it appears you know little about mathematics and you think you're clever with your "UKL Physicist Of The Year", which presumably your elected yourself for. Congrats.

ReputationRep:

What a joke.
    some guy who made a stupid problem? i think u need to think again here...his theorem allowed mathematicians to discover so many different important results...and if its hailed as one of the greatest problem of centuries it cant be stupid... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, so why does Fermat deserve the credit that he gets? I'm not sure the contributions Fermat made to Mathematics because I'm not a mathematician, but regarding his theorem, I feel that those who tried to solve it and did solve it, which allowed Maths to develop much further, as you stated yourself, deserve the vast majrotiy of the credit.

And yes, sorry, it wasn't a stupid theorem, I was talking about the idea that he makes up this theorem, people spend years trying to solve it which leads to the breakthroughs that were made, yet he gets the bulk of the credit and reputation (clearly), as being stupid. Sorry for being unclear about that.

In my view Wiles deserve the majority of the credit as it was amazing and groundbreaking for Maths, those who did very well in trying to solve it deserve some credit as this led to breakthroughs in Maths as well, and Fermat deserves a little bit of credit for thinking of the theory in the first place which led to the important breakthroughs in the future.

Hope I've clarified myself a bit more here.
    could you stop having to win every argument, make clear every single point because its so bloody annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beauford)
    Do you know the name of the person who solved the Poincare conjecture? Do you know the names of anyone who's solved any of the 21 Hilbert Problems? Nearly all famous problems throughout history in mathematics go by the name of the setter not the solution

The reason that Fermat gets the credit is simply because the problem is always far more interesting than the solution, the problem is around for longer, studied for longer, and provides the inspiration for many mathematicians... When people read about problems in mathematics, they read about the problems themselves, not the solution, because the problem is always far more intriguing... and the solution is a by-product of the problem itself.

It's not as if fermat is taking any credit for the solution, he merely gets the credit for being the man who created such an important problem, he was the one who instigated these developments in mathematics. Noone is trying to remove Wiles credit as the solver...
    Yes I know, I was just saying that in my opinion Wiles doesn't deserve to be less famous than Fermat regarding the theorem - Especially when one considers the time it took for the problem to be solved and compared it to the time it took for the problem to be created!

In all fairness, surely it was much, much, much more difficult to find the proof to the theorem, rather than simply creating the problem in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Voted for rayhadenuk. Though reckon there are a fair amount of UKL members who did not appear on the list who could have been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Voted for rayhadenuk. Though reckon there are a fair amount of UKL members who did not appear on the list who could have been.
    You could probable have serveral more polls of people who deserve to be on there; in my opinion it's quite a silly poll, which is very subjective, and over an internet forum, impossible to answer. That's why I'm not going to won, because honestly, I have no idea who the most intelligent person is.

Unless the poll starter meant "brain power", it which case, it's a bit easier to judge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    It's impossible to tell over an internet forums. What this poll basically means (to me, anyway) is who has the most As, which is just stupid.
    If that were true I would have liked to be on there!!! Grr.. Lol, jk... I'm not one for the limelight. Vote Ralfskini!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well if you do a poll with people who are under 16 I'd like to be on it please, I'm studying university level maths at the moment, aged 14 :cool: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    Hmm well if you do a poll with people who are under 16 I'd like to be on it please, I'm studying university level maths at the moment, aged 14 :cool: .
    wth! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    go back to the jungle.

Sasha (a 2 year old bisexual female with a penile extension)

ReputationRep:
    This is quite an unfair poll, as we've seen only a glimpse (if that) of what these guys are capable of.

ReputationRep:
    What do we do, make them battle it out in an apocalyptic showdown of minds... One gruelling test after the other, with host; Damn Edna?

Well... in an ideal world...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    What do we do, make them battle it out in an apocalyptic showdown of minds... One gruelling test after the other, with host; Damn Edna?

Well... in an ideal world...
    lol thats funny

ReputationRep:
    Why these people? Seems totally random to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Why these people? Seems totally random to me.
    they were nominated here:

Nominate Best Brain of UKL...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntegralNeo)
    they were nominated here:

Nominate Best Brain of UKL...
    Popularity contest then... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Popularity contest then... :rolleyes:
    no not popularity but academic excellence instead....

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 15, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.