The Student Room Group

Wrong Centre Number on All Exams.AQA lost papers

Guys, I have just realised that I wrote the wrong centre number on all my exams.AQA have told me some of my work has gone missing amd even a whole paper.Combine this with the fact that I use a lot of extra paper means that my grades may be illegitimate and are only an estimate.
I did get my candidate number correct but as ot is only a four digit number it may not be unique to me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Oh my goodness. I can only send words of hope and prayers to you - this must feel awful. I'm sorry I can't offer you any more practical advice than keep in touch with the exam boards and your teachers. If you remember what you did write, maybe they can help identify your papers with that?

I really hope everything gets resolved, my heart seriously goes out to you.
ur dead,just pray
Your candidate number may not be unique, but your name sure is. Combine them and they should easily find them or am I missing something?
Reply 4
Original post by the one 123
ur dead,just pray

Most unhelpful reply, if you don't have anything good to say, then don't.

Original post by An-Lushan
Guys, I have just realised that I wrote the wrong centre number on all my exams.AQA have told me some of my work has gone missing amd even a whole paper.Combine this with the fact that I use a lot of extra paper means that my grades may be illegitimate and are only an estimate.
I did get my candidate number correct but as ot is only a four digit number it may not be unique to me.

AQA may give you your predicted grades based on other factors such as mock exams.
@Reality Check do you know anything about this?
Reply 5
Original post by Quizlet
Most unhelpful reply, if you don't have anything good to say, then don't.

AQA may give you your predicted grades based on other factors such as mock exams.
@Reality Check do you know anything about this?

I've been a straight A* student all year, but I came back with estimated Bs on what they had.I was going to Cambridge :frown: I don't think AQA know that I've made this mistake yet.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
I've been a straight A* student all year, but I came back with estimated Bs on what they had.I was going to Cambridge :frown: I don't think AQA know that I've made this mistake yet.

did u get a letter saying that ur papers were missing from either ur school or the exam board?
Reply 7
Original post by NotKidding
Your candidate number may not be unique, but your name sure is. Combine them and they should easily find them or am I missing something?

Yeah I thought so too until I realised what I did.Apparently, this is the most crucial information.The centre number I wrote may not even exist
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
It's quite an odd situation. The Centre would usually check that the centre numbers on the scripts are correct. However, I'm puzzled by the OP's assertion that AQA has told the candidate that some of his work has gone missing. How did they know what was missing?
AQA told the school they can't determine whete my paper is-I'm certain it's because of the centre number as it may not even exist
AQA told the school they can't determine whete my paper is-I'm certain it's because of the centre number as it may not even exist

Is this GCSE or A Level??
Reply 10
Original post by Samanthaplague
Is this GCSE or A Level??

A-level and, I am taking the most popular subjects (Maths, Bio, Chem and Physics)as well so it increases the probability of it going missing.I don't know how else this could have happened.Someone else might even have my papers!The centre number is appatently crucial to locating the correct papers as it is unique.
A-level and, I am taking the most popular subjects (Maths, Bio, Chem and Physics)as well so it increases the probability of it going missing.I don't know how else this could have happened.Someone else might even have my papers!The centre number is appatently crucial to locating the correct papers as it is unique.

your admin officers normally check the papers before they are sent off (correct number and centre,)

Results day was a few days ago....
What did you get?
Reply 13
Original post by Kholmes1
Results day was a few days ago....
What did you get?

A in maths(2 ums of A*), A in AS further maths and Bs in the sciences.Edexcek have uniqye candidate numbers, so I know the maths is correct, but AQA don't which has left me perplexed as the sciences where my best subjects.

Did you say you were going to Cambridge??
Reply 15
Original post by Pretish
your admin officers normally check the papers before they are sent off (correct number and centre,)

True, but if they did they would be able to locate my work easily-unless they didn't send all my schools papers off in the same batch
Reply 16
Original post by Samanthaplague
Did you say you were going to Cambridge??

Not any more-I'm devasted.I was put into clearing and I am now going to Surrey.My whole world has come crashing down in the past few days.
Reply 17
Should I ask them to locate all the papers with my candidate number for the subjects I took?

Oh dear :frown: It's a shame that your schools department for exams didn't check the centre number on every single paper. We were told we did not need to know our candidate number and not to guess, so I pressume that people that didn't know theirs had their number written in, as well as the centre number being checked. I had an awful feeling I mixed my centre number and candidate number up, but I don't think I would've done, as one is 4 boxes and the other 5. AQA should do everything in it's power to recover the papers as they will not want to loose favour with your schools subject, as they are responsible. See how it pans out on results day!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Ellierogab
Oh dear :frown: It's a shame that your schools department for exams didn't check the centre number on every single paper. We were told we did not need to know our candidate number and not to guess, so I pressume that people that didn't know theirs had their number written in, as well as the centre number being checked. I had an awful feeling I mixed my centre number and candidate number up, but I don't think I would've done, as one is 4 boxes and the other 5. AQA should do everything in it's power to recover the papers as they will not want to loose favour with your schools subject, as they are responsible. See how it pans out on results day!

It's a good thing you know this now.
Let your school know immediately so they can contact the exam board.It may be too late for me as it may result in everyone with my candidate number having their grade changed if it results in papers being mixed up or lost .If you gave any doubts about your grade, call for a photicopy of the paper to check your handwriting is your own.

Quick Reply