The Student Room Group

What universities should I be applying to?

Hello, I got 4 A*, 3A and 3 B in my GCSEs. An A* in maths and additional science, an A in core science and 2 Bs in English. I am predicted an A*AA in my a levels and I have done maths early getting an A. I got 655 in the UKCAT and a band 2. With these grades, what medical universities in uk should I be realistically looking at?
kings,queen marry
With regards to the above - I don't know about Queen Mary but imo King's would be a bit too risky since they shortlist mainly based on GCSEs and UKCAT.

I'd also avoid at least Oxbridge, Exeter, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Cardiff.

You could be looking at places like Aberdeen, Dundee, BSMS etc. Basically I'd look for unis that are quite holistic in their approach since your application sounds pretty strong overall but not particularly strong in any area.
Reply 3
Original post by the one 123
kings,queen marry

I am thinking of applying queens. Is my grades good enough?
Reply 4
Original post by StationToStation
With regards to the above - I don't know about Queen Mary but imo King's would be a bit too risky since they shortlist mainly based on GCSEs and UKCAT.

I'd also avoid at least Oxbridge, Exeter, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Cardiff.

You could be looking at places like Aberdeen, Dundee, BSMS etc. Basically I'd look for unis that are quite holistic in their approach since your application sounds pretty strong overall but not particularly strong in any area.

Thank you. Can you perhaps name me some UNis that are holistic in their chooses. I am unsure which ones they are.
I am also thinking of applying to kings extended medical programme. Are my grades good enough?
(edited 6 years ago)
Georges, Queen Mary, Liverpool are the only ones I can think that aren't massive on GCSE grades.
Original post by Faze337

One of my friends who got into queens had worse UKCAT score than you, same predicted grades but higher GCSE's.
Original post by Faze337
Thank you. Can you perhaps name me some UNis that are holistic in their chooses. I am unsure which ones they are.

I'm not 100% sure about this so you should definitely check the policies of each uni before applying, but in addition to the above I think you could look at e.g. Lancaster, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Southampton, Manchester, Glasgow, Sheffield, UCL and St George's. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by tcameron
One of my friends who got into queens had worse UKCAT score than you, same predicted grades but higher GCSE's.

how much better was your friends gcses than mine. just curious
Reply 9
I'm not 100% sure about this so you should definitely check the policies of each uni before applying, but in addition to the above I think you could look at e.g. Lancaster, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Southampton, Manchester, Glasgow, Sheffield, UCL and St George's. :smile:

thank you once more. i was thinking kings extended medical proram, st georges, queens and liverpool. would you say they are achievable options
Original post by Faze337
how much better was your friends gcses than mine. just curious

She had 8 A* and the rest were A's.
Original post by Faze337

yeah i think so
Original post by Faze337
thank you once more. i was thinking kings extended medical proram, st georges, queens and liverpool. would you say they are achievable options

As I said I don't know a huge amount of these schools but to me those sound good! Good luck. :smile:
Reply 13
As I said I don't know a huge amount of these schools but to me those sound good! Good luck. :smile:

thank you very much
Original post by Faze337
Hello, I got 4 A*, 3A and 3 B in my GCSEs. An A* in maths and additional science, an A in core science and 2 Bs in English. I am predicted an A*AA in my a levels and I have done maths early getting an A. I got 655 in the UKCAT and a band 2. With these grades, what medical universities in uk should I be realistically looking at?

Based on your UKCAT you should rule out Newcastle, Sheffield, Southampton, Manchester and Edinburgh.
Based on your GCSE's you should rule out Oxford,Cardiff, QUB, B'Ham, Kings and possibly St Andrews as well.
Based on your predicted grades you should rule out Exeter, Barts and Cambridge.

It's up to you to go through the remaining universities and see if you would be competitive, also make sure to check the GCSE requirements regarding English as i know some universities require an A/A*.

Also the advice I've given you above was based on last years admissions, some uni's may have changed their policies so it's worth checking yourself.
Reply 15
Original post by HopelessMedic
Based on your UKCAT you should rule out Newcastle, Sheffield, Southampton, Manchester and Edinburgh.
Based on your GCSE's you should rule out Oxford,Cardiff, QUB, B'Ham, Kings and possibly St Andrews as well.
Based on your predicted grades you should rule out Exeter, Barts and Cambridge.

It's up to you to go through the remaining universities and see if you would be competitive, also make sure to check the GCSE requirements regarding English as i know some universities require an A/A*.

Also the advice I've given you above was based on last years admissions, some uni's may have changed their policies so it's worth checking yourself.

thanks. i can still apply to kings extended medical program right as they dont expect as high of ukcat and gcses?
Original post by Faze337
thanks. i can still apply to kings extended medical program right as they dont expect as high of ukcat and gcses?

I'm afraid i don't know what that is so can't help you, sorry.
what area do you come from? if you're school underperforms they might be some leeway for you to get into the higher unis
you *
Reply 19
Original post by prostheticzeta
what area do you come from? if you're school underperforms they might be some leeway for you to get into the higher unis

I am from london in a non selective state school. my school is also seen by unis as an underperforming school. hopefully, this gives me an advantage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending