Can depression turn into other mental disorders? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can depression turn into other mental disorders if left untreated?
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't know exactly about "turn into" something else if there was no underlying move in that direction anyway, but it can certainly get worse. I think something like psychotic depression is a possibility too.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, comorbidity amongst individuals with depression is very common.
BlindingLight
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It can predispose to organic (medical) and non-organic (mental health) problems, yes.
2-99
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it can bring about other things, like Social Anxiety Disorder, or Generalised Anxiety Disorder, or it could be in itself a symptom of something else. Nearly half of those diagnosed with Depression are also diagnosed with an anxiety disorder of some kind.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes. I was first diagnosed with post natal depression when my son was born in 1997. Given antidepressants, but over the years it kept coming back. For the last couple of years I have had an agreement with my GP that I can stay on the antidepressants for the rest of my life. After my son was born and the depression wouldn't go away, my GP referred me to a psychiatrist to find out if he he could do anything to help me. During the first session I had a long, two hour talk with him. Because of the things I had told him he told me I suffered from anxiety, which I know started when I was 15, and Social Phobia, which probably started when I was about 19. All three have never gone away. Now all these years later I also suffer from panic attacks and become extremely anxious about the most trivial of things. I also rarely leave the house unless it is essential, and I don't know if it's an actual eating disorder or not, but i'm either stuffing my face or i'm half starving myself and it changes from one week to the next, depending on my emotions and how I am feeling.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I know it caused me to become anxious about everything and everyone.
SkyQuest88
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It can either comorbid with another mental disorder such as an anxiety disorder or be a symptom of a different disorder which is why most people with bipolar or borderline personality are often misdiagnosed with depression.
study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
maybe it can

however depression is usually a by product of a mental disorder
ZombieTheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As far as I'm aware, many people with uncontrolled anxiety spiral into depression.
Danny the Geezer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It can turn into psychosis if untreated or be a early warning sign of something more (and I hesitate to use the word) "serious"
Reasonstosmile
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes mine did. it led to insomnia anxiety social awkwardness self harm and suicide.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
kimberbuckel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SkyQuest88)
It can either comorbid with another mental disorder such as an anxiety disorder or be a symptom of a different disorder which is why most people with bipolar or borderline personality are often misdiagnosed with depression.
Exactly! I have a bipolar diagnosis and for several years before diagnosis I was treated for depression. I have experienced very little "clinical depression" eposodes in my life. Once I was correctly diagnosed and treated (will continue to be treated indefinitely), my life changed dramatically.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
Depression's can be a component of other mental disorders (schizophrenia, schizoaffective and bipolar disorders) or it can stand on its own (clinical depression). Clinical depression is what it is and doesn't become schizophrenia unless that person already had it and was just presenting with preliminary depression.
SpecxXx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes it can. I had severe depression from 2009 until 2012. My mental health deteriorated even further and progressed into Schizophrenia in 2013.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SpecxXx)
Yes it can. I had severe depression from 2009 until 2012. My mental health deteriorated even further and progressed into Schizophrenia in 2013.
You sure you're not schizoaffective?
SpecxXx
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You sure you're not schizoaffective?
No. Eupd and schizophrenia
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes
Anonymous #3
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Danny the Geezer)
It can turn into psychosis if untreated or be a early warning sign of something more (and I hesitate to use the word) "serious"
(Original post by SpecxXx)
No. Eupd and schizophrenia
Depression's a symptom of different mental disorders. It can already be part of schizophrenia or a manic-depressive/bipolar psychosis. There's no such thing as uniform depression in the strict sense of the word.

I don't think people realise how deteriorating schizophrenia is. Not to belittle your psychiatrist but you've more than likely got a bipolar psychosis.
SpecxXx
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Depression's a symptom of different mental disorders. It can already be part of schizophrenia or a manic-depressive/bipolar psychosis. There's no such thing as uniform depression in the strict sense of the word.

I don't think people realise how deteriorating schizophrenia is. Not to belittle your psychiatrist but you've more than likely got a bipolar psychosis.
I'm definitely not Bi-polar
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (67)
15.8%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (43)
10.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (80)
18.87%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.39%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.85%
How can I be the best version of myself? (127)
29.95%

Watched Threads