Turn on thread page Beta

as levels or predicted grades? advice please. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    although i got 4A* and 6A at gcse, and was fully capable of getting something similar this year at AS level, i decided to prioritise my social life, and my school work very much took a backseat. after barely attending college all year, and doing no revision, i acheived, at AS:

B - English Lit
    C - History
    C - Art

i have considered taking a year out and applying after my full A level results, as i believe i can turn this around and acheive A's next year.

i am not sure of my predicted grades, and don't really know much about the system. if i can persuade the teachers to predict me very high grades, preferably AAB or something similar, are universities more likely to make an offer based on this, or my AS level grades?

everything i am interested in applying for requires at least ABB. am i likely to get an offer at all, or should i just take a gap year and apply next year instead?

how important ARE AS levels as a deciding factor?

regrets regrets regrets, lol.

ReputationRep:
    No need to state AS grades on your UCAS form, so it shouldn't be a problem if you can get high predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    does this apply to all universities? do certain universities not require AS level grades? i thought they went on AS levels. thats pretty cool, lol.

ReputationRep:
    firstly, I recommend you do go through UCAS this year, even if you're almost certain you're going to take a year out. It's 'worth a try,' .. will leave you with options such as going to uni anyway even if it isn't your first choice.

Next, goto your school and ensure that your AS levels have not been certificated, if they have, ask to have them uncertificated (act fast, otherwise you WILL be screwed!) That way, the uni won't get your AS grades, and will have to go off predictions.

Finally, yes, try and get an AAB prediction, don't apply to Cambridge (they will ask for your UMS), and apply to the places you want to. Only, expect rejections and bear in mind you may well have to take a year out.

If it does go wrong and you don't get an offer from somewhere you want to go, then as you plan, turn it around, take a year out, and try again.

ReputationRep:
    No variation between universities at all, though Cambridge will ask you for individual module marks if you're applying. It is perfectly normal not to declare AS grades on the UCAS form. I didn't, and it wasn't a problem... then I took a year out anyway! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    thats excellent, i actually thought i had no hope what so ever.

if i CAN get an AAB prediction, am i at a major disadvantage to someone who HAS declared their AS results? or am i still fairly likely to recieve an offer provided the other entrance criteria is upto standard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookintomyeyes)
    if i CAN get an AAB prediction, am i at a major disadvantage to someone who HAS declared their AS results?
    Not really, as many people with straight As at AS don't declare them on their UCAS form either.

or am i still fairly likely to recieve an offer provided the other entrance criteria is upto standard?
    I would have thought so. What are you planning to apply for?

ReputationRep:
    im not fully sure at the moment, i am interested in quite a lot of courses. i was mainly considering english literature, or a joint honours in english and media, or english and art history. most of the universities i am interested in (liverpool, manchester, leeds, nottingham, sheffield) have offers which vary between BBB and AAB.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'll be fine. I know someone that applied for English at Exeter with AS grades of ABD and got an offer of AAB. Not entirely sure what their predicted grades were, but I think they were ABC.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    thats excellent, i actually thought i had no hope what so ever.

if i CAN get an AAB prediction, am i at a major disadvantage to someone who HAS declared their AS results? or am i still fairly likely to recieve an offer provided the other entrance criteria is upto standard?
    My school didn't cash in our AS grades until after the UCAS deadline, so we had no AS grades to put on our form. I would assume that some other schools do this too.

ReputationRep:
    I got ACCC in my AS but I was still predicted ABB. It was pointless in the end, because I got ACC again and as usual, missed out on ABB by a few measly marks.

ReputationRep:
    I am in kinda the same boat as the poster of this thread.
    what if I get a university interview, will they try to get it out of me why I didnt put my grades on the UCAS form and what i really got?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    I am in kinda the same boat as the poster of this thread.
    what if I get a university interview, will they try to get it out of me why I didnt put my grades on the UCAS form and what i really got?????
    As far as I know, they're not supposed to ask. What subject are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    Woh woh woh! I have to disagree with this advice. As an admins tutor, who will you look more favourably on? Somebody with 4As at AS on his/her UCAS form or somebody who didn't write them down?

All it makes the admins tutor think is that the person did badly and didn't write them down. I haven't in my experience heard of anybody with good grades not writing them down and can't understand the point behind not doing that.

TBH, if you have good predicted grades and good GCSE grades and a good reason *NB: at interview don't say your social life took over lol* for the slump in grades, you will be ok at most universities. Work hard on the retakes etc. and you should reach your predicted grades considering your GCSE profile.

Put yourself in the admin tutor's shoes, what would you do faced without results?

OH and I doubt there's a ruling about them not being allowed to ask for AS results at interview! THat would be stupid - then again, UCAS doesn't mind "stupid" sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    Woh woh woh! I have to disagree with this advice. As an admins tutor, who will you look more favourably on? Somebody with 4As at AS on his/her UCAS form or somebody who didn't write them down?

All it makes the admins tutor think is that the person did badly and didn't write them down. I haven't in my experience heard of anybody with good grades not writing them down and can't understand the point behind not doing that.

TBH, if you have good predicted grades and good GCSE grades and a good reason *NB: at interview don't say your social life took over lol* for the slump in grades, you will be ok at most universities. Work hard on the retakes etc. and you should reach your predicted grades considering your GCSE profile.

Put yourself in the admin tutor's shoes, what would you do faced without results?

OH and I doubt there's a ruling about them not being allowed to ask for AS results at interview! THat would be stupid - then again, UCAS doesn't mind "stupid" sometimes.
    If everybody with good grades declared their AS grades then I'd agree, but from my experience not everyone does. I guess this depends on the advice given by individual schools. Obviously, if everyone from that school or college is asked to put AS grades on UCAS it could cause a problem, but at my school we were specifically told only to put AS grades for subjects we were not taking to A2. There is certainly a rule against asking for UMS scores at interview, not sure about grades.

EDIT: Admittedly, this could be because our school have no idea what they're doing, which wouldn't come as a surprise. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I apologise if my school also does it unusually to the rest but we were uurged to put down everything (i.e. including an AS if it were to be dropped aslong as it wasn't really poor, in which case people went through the process of cashing it in or whatever they call it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    As far as I know, they're not supposed to ask. What subject are you applying for?
    engineering subjects. not sure either civil,mechanical. but I have crap grades
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    Since you obviously did not read my previous post I shall repeat it here for you.

My school did not cash in our AS results until after the January exams of upper sixth. Therefore, when I did my UCAS form I had no grade to put down. There must be other schools like that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Finally, yes, try and get an AAB prediction, don't apply to Cambridge (they will ask for your UMS),
    what if you're re-taking a module to increase from B to an A? Can you declare that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    Since you obviously did not read my previous post I shall repeat it here for you.

My school did not cash in our AS results until after the January exams of upper sixth. Therefore, when I did my UCAS form I had no grade to put down. There must be other schools like that too.
    I did read it, although I did skim a lot of the thread - your school sounds unusual, why would they do that? The admins tutors will have little to chose on.....

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.