The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Accommodation costs.

Hi everyone. Just want some advice about accommodation. My daughter is coming to start her degree at UOG and will be living in halls. She will be getting maintenance grant of £8k+ spread over 3 instalments. Meaning around £2700 for her first instalment, however the rent over that period would be over £3k so already in a deficit before any living costs!! So in theory her full maintenance will cover yearly rent, but only if it was paid in full lump sum!!! Any thoughts or advice on this? Is there a way around this? Really worried now as if she accepts the offer, she could end up in arrears etc....
Original post by Bigdougy
Hi everyone. Just want some advice about accommodation. My daughter is coming to start her degree at UOG and will be living in halls. She will be getting maintenance grant of £8k+ spread over 3 instalments. Meaning around £2700 for her first instalment, however the rent over that period would be over £3k so already in a deficit before any living costs!! So in theory her full maintenance will cover yearly rent, but only if it was paid in full lump sum!!! Any thoughts or advice on this? Is there a way around this? Really worried now as if she accepts the offer, she could end up in arrears etc....

Which hall is she staying at?
Catered or self catered?

Im not feeling im getting an accurate picture of finances.

It may be she has ti get a job and make use of her overdraft facility or there is a shorfall the parent has to pay.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/fees/
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Bigdougy

Hi Bigdougy! I work at Dunaskin Mill, a private student accommodation about 5 mins from the university.

It depends on what hall she is going to. We are able to offer payment plans for students receiving funding in 3 instalments, as we know that the grant amounts don't quite match up with our payment due dates. You could talk to the hall she is thinking of about whether this would be possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending