The Student Room Group

Maths Or English?

With GCSE results day looming, many of us are starting to worry about results, Grade boundaries etc. With the media suggesting 45% of students will get an inaccurate grade, which subject are you more worried about?

Whether it be marking or your ability, which subject result are you most worried about?

Scroll to see replies

Aren't you 35? (Not being rude)
Reply 2
English Lit and History. I have a feeling that the examiners will find it challenging to read my handwriting as it's joined up and I had to write FAST in those exams. And I'm pretty sure English Lit is one of the most subjective subjects there is. That said, I don't think that 45% figure is of any significance as there really isn't a "right" mark in some subjects no matter how descriptive the mark scheme is.
English lit - feel like I smashed Macbeth, An Inspector Calls and a Christmas Carol but anthology was horrific - I'd learnt most poems and one of like two I hadn't learnt came up...and then there's unseen poetry where I said a poem about hating winter was 'jolly', I just panicked and wrote something ridiculous.
Original post by Shutthehellup
Aren't you 35? (Not being rude)

What makes you think that 😂
Original post by s.xw
English Lit and History. I have a feeling that the examiners will find it challenging to read my handwriting as it's joined up and I had to write FAST in those exams. And I'm pretty sure English Lit is one of the most subjective subjects there is. That said, I don't think that 45% figure is of any significance as there really isn't a "right" mark in some subjects no matter how descriptive the mark scheme is.

I think the English Literature mark scheme is a bit more detailed than Language. but still not great
Original post by danielwinstanley
English lit - feel like I smashed Macbeth, An Inspector Calls and a Christmas Carol but anthology was horrific - I'd learnt most poems and one of like two I hadn't learnt came up...and then there's unseen poetry where I said a poem about hating winter was 'jolly', I just panicked and wrote something ridiculous.

^^. WJEC?
Original post by EdexcelAreIdiots
^^. WJEC?

Yes!

I got the idea about him hating it, it being repetitive ect but then I wrote "the rhyme scheme creates a jolly tone which perhaps implies he sees some joy in winter and the way it brings things to a halt" God.
Yes!

I got the idea about him hating it, it being repetitive ect but then I wrote "the rhyme scheme creates a jolly tone which perhaps implies he sees some joy in winter and the way it brings things to a halt" God.

I don't even remember what I wrote it was that bad, I must have repeated myself over and over again on poetry. Got to say, compared to other boards, the Inspector Calls and Christmas Carol questions were quite easy. Romeo and Juliet too. I only learnt 2 poems as well, lucky is was Sonnet 43 :smile:.
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't even remember what I wrote it was that bad, I must have repeated myself over and over again on poetry. Got to say, compared to other boards, the Inspector Calls and Christmas Carol questions were quite easy.

I swear the unseen poetry was just the same three lines repeated like 4 times...struggled to get much to analyse.

Christmas Carol was really nice with the ghosts - the one I'd hoped for because you can get context in ect. The extract wasn't too good though - they took it from just before the description of the ghost...

Inspector Calls - I was so happy when I saw Mr Birling but the extract again wasn't good - he barely had any lines in it, but I guess you could've talked about the structure of the play/the social message and links to war and that his attitudes were the ones Priestley set out to change.

Anthology - WHY? They didn't even pick something with lots of analysis like Valentine...
I swear the unseen poetry was just the same three lines repeated like 4 times...struggled to get much to analyse.

Christmas Carol was really nice with the ghosts - the one I'd hoped for because you can get context in ect. The extract wasn't too good though - they took it from just before the description of the ghost...

Inspector Calls - I was so happy when I saw Mr Birling but the extract again wasn't good - he barely had any lines in it, but I guess you could've talked about the structure of the play/the social message and links to war and that his attitudes were the ones Priestley set out to change.

Anthology - WHY? They didn't even pick something with lots of analysis like Valentine...

The ghosts question was a dream, I think I wrote about 8 pages for it, you could basically tell the story.

Mr Birling was lucky, after all he is ,in my opinion, the best character for quotes etc. As long as you had at least a paragraph on the passage, it's good.

I learnt 2 poems, Valentine and Sonnet 43, very lucky that it was Sonnet 43. Looking back, I wish I had learnt more, but I had so many other (more important) subjects.

Romeo and Juliet's question was Juliet as well, really simple.
The ghosts question was a dream, I think I wrote about 8 pages for it, you could basically tell the story.

Mr Birling was lucky, after all he is ,in my opinion, the best character for quotes etc. As long as you had at least a paragraph on the passage, it's good.

I learnt 2 poems, Valentine and Sonnet 43, very lucky that it was Sonnet 43. Looking back, I wish I had learnt more, but I had so many other (more important) subjects.

Romeo and Juliet's question was Juliet as well, really simple.

8 pages?
I wrote about 4 for Christmas Carol, 3-4 for Inspector Calls and 2/3 for unseen.

I only did like 2 quotes for each ghost and that was more than enough - stupidly ran over 45 mins so I was rushing the other tasks - but overall I think it went very well. Hoping to get an 8...just hope unseen and anthology didn't let me down m.
8 pages?
I wrote about 4 for Christmas Carol, 3-4 for Inspector Calls and 2/3 for unseen.

I only did like 2 quotes for each ghost and that was more than enough - stupidly ran over 45 mins so I was rushing the other tasks - but overall I think it went very well. Hoping to get an 8...just hope unseen and anthology didn't let me down m.

I don't know what possessed me that day, but I'm used to writing quite fast. I'm only aiming for a 5 to be honest, would be good if I got higher. Don't even get me started on Language, that was just terrible.
I don't know what possessed me that day, but I'm used to writing quite fast. I'm only aiming for a 5 to be honest, would be good if I got higher. Don't even get me started on Language, that was just terrible.

If you've analysed language, you'll have done amazing!!

Language was quite hard - felt component one reading was okay, but the first list question was hard...and the narrative titles were okay.

Component 2 was okay but I didn't like the transactional pieces - I found it hard to get persuasive techniques in.

If you answered every question in component 1 and component 2 - most importantly, component 2 because it's 60% of the GCSE. If you answered everything, you'll get a good grade because many people will have only done the first few questions and given up - even if you've written the most basic of things, you'll probably still get credit.
If you've analysed language, you'll have done amazing!!

Language was quite hard - felt component one reading was okay, but the first list question was hard...and the narrative titles were okay.

Component 2 was okay but I didn't like the transactional pieces - I found it hard to get persuasive techniques in.

If you answered every question in component 1 and component 2 - most importantly, component 2 because it's 60% of the GCSE. If you answered everything, you'll get a good grade because many people will have only done the first few questions and given up - even if you've written the most basic of things, you'll probably still get credit.

Language was just a race against time. Many people didn't finish, but I made sure I kept an eye on the clock. I think I wasted more time on the prison one (component 2??), at least I finished each component.
Language was just a race against time. Many people didn't finish, but I made sure I kept an eye on the clock. I think I wasted more time on the prison one (component 2??), at least I finished each component.

If you finished both papers, you'll get a really good grade. Good luck with your results!
If you finished both papers, you'll get a really good grade. Good luck with your results!

You too!

What do you think grade boundaries will be like?
I did much worse in maths (cried after the second paper hahaha why) but I'm more worried about English because of how subjective it is and I'm just scared the examiner won't like my writing etc. I don't even know what I wrote for the creative writing section other than not enough.
What do you think grade boundaries will be like?

I honestly don't have a clue for English but I think they'll be lower than we expect because it's non tiered so some people will just open the paper, answer the list questions and attempt the writing. So long you answered everything, you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest