The Student Room Group

A Level Choices - Are These Good Subjects to Take?

Are these a good set of A Level subjects? Shall I not take them?

Economics
Goverment & Politics
Geography
Reply 1
I'd say yes.

But my approval is literally nothing compared to if you personally have a genuine interest in these subjects and want to pursue them for A Level. It's really down to you at the end of the day and what your personal preference is.

Other than that, they look like they go quite well together :3 At the end of the day, as long as you enjoy the subjects, that's all that matters! (If you begin the subjects and decide one is not for you, typically you are allowed to swap subjects in the first few weeks of term)
Reply 2
You should do what you enjoy most, but I'd look for a uni course and tailor your subjects to that too, I did an AS year of gov and politics, I liked it. Economics was boring but I still did it, some love it though
Do what you enjoy, and not what you think will look good. Ultimately, doing what you love will lead you to the good grades and the work you put in, will seem less like work and be more interesting than if you were to do subjects which just look good on paper (when in actual fact they won't if you don't enjoy them and aren't motivated and will fail them!)

Hope this helps!
I'd say yes! They are all decent subjects and seen as "proper" so unis will like that. There are a list of facilitating subjects and only Geography is on this list properly but economics and politics are still academic subjects and I think all the top unis will probably accept this. Also, these subjects all go together very nicely. I was also wondering if you considered taking 4 subjects and if not why?
Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest