The Student Room Group

I hate my family

Before I start, this is probably going to sound like the most ungrateful thing that you'll read all week.

I hate my family. Our relationship is absolutely toxic. I have 3 sisters, me and my parents all living under the same roof. Me and one of my sisters haven't spoke for YEARS despite living together and seeing eachother every day. She literally despises me and seriously could not care less about me.

My other sister and I are constantly arguing. I know this seems normal but it really isn't in this case, we go for weeks, months, without talking. When we're on bad terms, she is vile, mentally and emotionally abusing me/mocking me and making me feel absolutely ****. My parents will always favour her, I will ALWAYS be in the wrong as I so easily get worked up and start shouting. Even when I stay calm, I'm still in the wrong. no matter what. Thats why I honestly rather not talk to her because it at least avoids arguments that cause my mum to go against me and not talk to me for days. But, when I just keep my distance, she just gets mad that I'm a useless excuse for a sister when, to me, I do it because our next argument will be hell for me all over again.

My dad is absolutely useless. I don't think I've EVER actually had a conversation with him. My parents relationship is a wreck with physical abuse, the only reason they are still together is not to ruin their reputation.

Honestly, I just feel absolutely shattered and so so upset because I've never felt what it would be like to have a family that I just get along with. They make me feel so worthless I feel depressed.

I'm 16 and hate the toxicity of my house, moving out in two years for uni isn't even an option because my dad would probably break my legs before I leave the door.
Wow. Are we the same person?
Original post by Anonymous

I'm 16 and hate the toxicity of my house, moving out in two years for uni isn't even an option because my dad would probably break my legs before I leave the door.

Do you think he would let your sisters to move out? Why for you to move out would be a problem to him?
This is going to sound ridiculous, probably, but maybe you should tell somebody confidentially. If you're really this unhappy with your family and this really is how the situation is, and if going you're going to be stuck in it for quite a long time (assuming that your father won't allow you to go to university), then it's better to seek help and improve the situation for yourself. You're still young and deserve to have freedom and happiness in your life, before you grow older and regret not doing something to make you happy. I don't know. I'm not an expert in this, and I know that it may be a difficult thing to do, but you've stated that you "hate your family," so it shouldn't be too emotionally difficult to seek help.
Reply 4
Original post by Cherry-Cola
Do you think he would let your sisters to move out? Why for you to move out would be a problem to him?

No he wouldn't, and so they didn't
Reply 5
This is going to sound ridiculous, probably, but maybe you should tell somebody confidentially. If you're really this unhappy with your family and this really is how the situation is, and if going you're going to be stuck in it for quite a long time (assuming that your father won't allow you to go to university), then it's better to seek help and improve the situation for yourself. You're still young and deserve to have freedom and happiness in your life, before you grow older and regret not doing something to make you happy. I don't know. I'm not an expert in this, and I know that it may be a difficult thing to do, but you've stated that you "hate your family," so it shouldn't be too emotionally difficult to seek help.

Tell who? My family know exactly how I feel but just act like I'm overreacting and dismiss it. Some don't even care that this is how I feel.
I honestly think it's blatant that this mentally impacts me (they caught me almost cutting myself, to which my sister called me an attention seeker) but nobody has made an effort to consider professional help (mental health isn't really taken seriously unfortunately)
As your 16, you can go to your doctors without having your parents there.. I'd speak to your doctor about how you feel as obviously you do sound quite down. Or even speak to someone at school/college, as they could potentially help you.
I've been where you are, and speaking o someone was my best option.
Obviously some of the things on here don't apply, but give this a read https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/ask-sam/temp-asksam/can-i-leave-home-at-16/
Definitely speak to someone at school - a teacher you're comfortable talking to
Reply 9
Original post by wonderuss
Definitely speak to someone at school - a teacher you're comfortable talking to

Just left school and moving to a new sixth form, hopefully I feel comfortable with someone there, even though opening up to someone is probably my biggest fear
Why can't you move out? Whats his reasoning for not letting you move out?
Original post by Miss.Unknow
Why can't you move out? Whats his reasoning for not letting you move out?

probably because she/he comes from a religious background,
usually religious backgrounds wont allow the children to move out especially if they are a girl as they believe the only other house they can stay at is with their husband lol
and boys are suppose to stay with their parents and look after them in old age
its a traditional outlook but its most likely what the op is going through im sorry if im wrong :smile: x
not religious, i mean traditional
probably because she/he comes from a religious background,
usually religious backgrounds wont allow the children to move out especially if they are a girl as they believe the only other house they can stay at is with their husband lol
and boys are suppose to stay with their parents and look after them in old age
its a traditional outlook but its most likely what the op is going through im sorry if im wrong :smile: x
Just left school and moving to a new sixth form, hopefully I feel comfortable with someone there, even though opening up to someone is probably my biggest fear

Well if you're comfortable with them, or can start to feel comfortable enough after a little while, it's worth a shot.. better to face your fears sometimes than carry on suffering even more than needed.. and no, I get the problems with opening up to others and stuff.. can be terrible at times
I feel like we 're the same exact human... On the outside no one has realise that my family is a wreck I have 5 sisters who are effectively being brainwashed and emotionally and financially abused and I'm 18. All of them try to defend my selfish parents in order to suck up to them, and because I actually have a moral compass I don't suck up to any of them. The result is that I am constantly scapegoated, I was also caught self harming and called wicked and selfish and put of my huge family not one person tried to help. I guess we have that in common maybe we could help eachother. Feel free to dm me xx
I feel sorry for you I have 3 brothers and I have the same problem I feel sorry for you 😞😞💔💔
Omg almost 16 but cannot stand to be within a metre of my mum. It makes me feel guilty cos ik she loves me so much but there’s something built into me that just means I can’t like her. I hate it but I don’t want to like her. Faking it kills me but it’s the only thing I can do. I’m not going thru family therapy again. She’s horrid and embarrassing and I can’t deal with her personality or appearance as ignorant as it makes me sound I can’t deal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending