The Student Room Group

Paying todo medicine?

Hi okay so i'm just wondering if someone can give me some help. My dream job is medicine no doubt about it, I didn't do considerably well in my GCSE's, I got one 2A's, 1B, 1C, and 1D (awful I know) but I had just recently come out of a psychiatric ward a few months prior, my only problem is, that a few months before my exam I dropped out of my Double and Triple award science exam, so I didn't get any science GCSEs, I've just finished my first AS year, and the time had come to apply for uni, but there is only one thing i'd truly want todo, and that's medicine, can anybody tell me is there any point in retaking my science GCSE's (Triple / Double) this year as a private candidate ( so that I could do the science A-levels) I really know medicine is what I want todo, and maybe there isn't any hope, but even if there is a glimmer or another way i'm willing to get there.
(edited 6 years ago)
you should have a look at doing medicine with a foundation year. its for people who don't come from a science background and might save you the hassle of re doing your GCSEs. another important thing to think about however is your suitability to medicine, whether you are academically and mentally able to handle such a rigorous and demanding career.
you should also have a look at private medical schools as well as studymedicineeurope
Original post by cormacpaul
you should have a look at doing medicine with a foundation year. its for people who don't come from a science background and might save you the hassle of re doing your GCSEs. another important thing to think about however is your suitability to medicine, whether you are academically and mentally able to handle such a rigorous and demanding career.

I have looked into the foundation years, but they want around 6A's at gcses and considering I didn't even get 6 GCSE's due to my circumstances It means I would still have to resit some. I really do think I am capable, of course anybody who wants to go into medicine is going to say that though right? It's a really tough career which you need to be not only intellectual but able to cope with a large work load, but if I'm able to have the chance, I know i'd be able todo it..

I have looked into the foundation years, but they want around 6A's at gcses and considering I didn't even sit 6 GCSE's due to my circumstances It means I would still have to resit some. I really do think I am capable, of course anybody who wants to go into medicine is going to say that though right? It's a really tough career which you need to be not only intellectual but able to cope with a large work load, but if I'm able to have the chance, I know i'd be able todo it..
Original post by HappyRose33
I have looked into the foundation years, but they want around 6A's at gcses and considering I didn't even sit 6 GCSE's due to my circumstances It means I would still have to resit some. I really do think I am capable, of course anybody who wants to go into medicine is going to say that though right? It's a really tough career which you need to be not only intellectual but able to cope with a large work load, but if I'm able to have the chance, I know i'd be able todo it..

ring up/email a uni you want to go to for med w/ foundation yr and ask if they would accept you due to mitigating circumstances. I would imagine they would definitely think your reasons are valid. at least they will give you better advice than i can as i don't work in admissions for a university
ring up/email a uni you want to go to for med w/ foundation yr and ask if they would accept you due to mitigating circumstances. I would imagine they would definitely think your reasons are valid. at least they will give you better advice than i can as i don't work in admissions for a university

Thank you so much for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending