Religious studies or English Literature? Watch

gomgossa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
For my a levels, I'm definitely taking chemistry and biology, as I hopefully want to do medicine at uni. However, I'm stuck between RS and literature for my third subject.

Religious studies interests me because of the ethics and philosophy of it, which would be useful in evaluating an ethical decision and general critical thinking. However, English literature is still helpful when it comes to broadening my knowledge and critical thinking, but it's also a facilitating subject. I'm interested in both. At the same time I'm not sure if the work for literature would be too much ? Also, I'm not religious, so idk if learning too much about Christianity would bore me even though I'm interested in the philosophy of religion.

Which would be more useful and which would be preferred by unis (if either would be)?
hyelloh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Check how much philosophy and ethical arguments make up RS and how much of it is just content on religion. I just completed A2 Edexcel Eng Lit and it's a lot of reading and essay writing. I think RS could make you a more interesting candidate for medicine if you learn a lot about ethics whereas Eng Lit might not give you much to relate to when it comes to medicine, unless you read outside your syllabus/ dedicate coursework to a medicine/health related book. My choice would be RS esp because I'm not sure Eng Lit would engage as much critical thinking as RS.

Not doing your course though/ never did RS at A-level so my opinion may not be incredibly helpful
gomgossa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by hyelloh)
Check how much philosophy and ethical arguments make up RS and how much of it is just content on religion. I just completed A2 Edexcel Eng Lit and it's a lot of reading and essay writing. I think RS could make you a more interesting candidate for medicine if you learn a lot about ethics whereas Eng Lit might not give you much to relate to when it comes to medicine, unless you read outside your syllabus/ dedicate coursework to a medicine/health related book. My choice would be RS esp because I'm not sure Eng Lit would engage as much critical thinking as RS.

Not doing your course though/ never did RS at A-level so my opinion may not be incredibly helpful
Yeah, all those points are really good. Now you've pointed it out, I suppose RS might make me a more interesting applicant than English Lit would in terms of knowledge about ethics especially. I've looked up the spec for RS and about a third is just Christianity (but it's more about like the history, who wrote it, nature of God and stuff so it's better than I thought), a third on philosophy, a third on ethics. I think I'm good with that.
You've been really helpful, I think I've decided to do RS now because I feel like I'd enjoy it more and it would be better for medicine in terms of ethics. Thanks so much, it only takes a bit of advice to clear my thoughts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (69)
7.97%
I used to but I don't now (24)
2.77%