Can someone please give feedback on my lnat essay? Watch

aaryaman1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What are the arguments for and against the legalizing of euthanasia?
Legalizing euthanasia or the right to kill oneself with the aid of generally a doctor, is a hot topic that has gained the interest of thousands of people. Initially, it gained attention when a nurse in India got raped and was left begging for death due to being in absolute misery and in a vegetative state surviving on life support for around 30 years. Despite her plight, the Supreme Court of India declined her request for euthanasia causing distress amongst thousands of people. The distress was caused since the pain that the lady was in was clearly obvious and it would have been common sense that if she had the capability to end her life, she would. Which brings me to the point of one's choice of ending his/her life; this since centuries has been a very controversial issue and the aim of this essay will be to discuss the arguments for and against the legalization of euthanasia and hopefully coming up with a conclusion regarding this issue at hand.

There has been a hierarchy of millions of people who believe that taking one's life regardless the issue, is against the rules of God and how he would want it thus making him angry. They tend to believe that ending life in an 'unnatural' way like euthanasia or abortion is sinning in God's accounts. The rise of this argument simply comes from the religious beliefs of people and how they believe that God and his messengers toiled so hard to give us this life we have and how because of this, his value is being belittled. Unfortunately, the same people who accept this facade are the ones who also tend to be the cause of racism and sexism. Furthermore, they disregard the plight of the person who has come to the decision of taking his/her life and what they must be feeling.

Another criticism inhibiting legalization of euthanasia is that if allowed, then how is it any different from suicide? Where this can give a rise to suicide levels in an abundance of ways because we cannot 'technically' quantify pain, whether it be physical or mental. Another possible question reinstating the previous statement this raises is that, should only people who are severely disabled physically be allowed to pursue euthanasia while disregarding people who suffer from severe mental disorders? Lastly, one can question the integrity of the doctor because according to the essential oath a doctor takes, he is supposed to give his best to try and save the patient's life. This is a serious concern because some doctors can start recommending euthanasia as a 'relief to the pain'.

Although euthanasia is looked down upon, it raises a serious ethical concern on whether people who are totally dependent on others for even the minute of things like using the toilet really do not want to live. Taking the example of the Indian nurse as stated before, she was in such a terrible condition for something she did not even do and she still feels punished as she cannot move, talk or walk! Some people aiding the legality of euthanasia believe that it is better to relieve one from their pain rather than watch them suffer. They also take in account of God's concern as they believe God would not want his 'children' to suffer and therefore even he would want that. Moreover, they feel that 'technically' God will be the one deciding the person's death as it is he who writes their destiny.

Non-secular countries like the ones in the Middle East have banned euthanasia as they believe it is against God's will as discussed previously. Whereas, certain European countries like Holland have allowed it under critical conditions. Although these approaches are poles apart, I feel a middle route must be taken as done by India and several countries. This middle route revolves around granting passive euthanasia, where one's life support is removed giving a slow painless death, rather than normal euthanasia that too under immense conditions and approval from the health authorities stating that the person cannot improve and his/her health will further degrade.
jessjanellbhons1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aaryaman1)
What are the arguments for and against the legalizing of euthanasia?
Legalizing euthanasia or the right to kill oneself with the aid of generally a doctor, is a hot topic that has gained the interest of thousands of people. Initially, it gained attention when a nurse in India got raped and was left begging for death due to being in absolute misery and in a vegetative state surviving on life support for around 30 years. Despite her plight, the Supreme Court of India declined her request for euthanasia causing distress amongst thousands of people. The distress was caused since the pain that the lady was in was clearly obvious and it would have been common sense that if she had the capability to end her life, she would. Which brings me to the point of one's choice of ending his/her life; this since centuries has been a very controversial issue and the aim of this essay will be to discuss the arguments for and against the legalization of euthanasia and hopefully coming up with a conclusion regarding this issue at hand.

There has been a hierarchy of millions of people who believe that taking one's life regardless the issue, is against the rules of God and how he would want it thus making him angry. They tend to believe that ending life in an 'unnatural' way like euthanasia or abortion is sinning in God's accounts. The rise of this argument simply comes from the religious beliefs of people and how they believe that God and his messengers toiled so hard to give us this life we have and how because of this, his value is being belittled. Unfortunately, the same people who accept this facade are the ones who also tend to be the cause of racism and sexism. Furthermore, they disregard the plight of the person who has come to the decision of taking his/her life and what they must be feeling.

Another criticism inhibiting legalization of euthanasia is that if allowed, then how is it any different from suicide? Where this can give a rise to suicide levels in an abundance of ways because we cannot 'technically' quantify pain, whether it be physical or mental. Another possible question reinstating the previous statement this raises is that, should only people who are severely disabled physically be allowed to pursue euthanasia while disregarding people who suffer from severe mental disorders? Lastly, one can question the integrity of the doctor because according to the essential oath a doctor takes, he is supposed to give his best to try and save the patient's life. This is a serious concern because some doctors can start recommending euthanasia as a 'relief to the pain'.

Although euthanasia is looked down upon, it raises a serious ethical concern on whether people who are totally dependent on others for even the minute of things like using the toilet really do not want to live. Taking the example of the Indian nurse as stated before, she was in such a terrible condition for something she did not even do and she still feels punished as she cannot move, talk or walk! Some people aiding the legality of euthanasia believe that it is better to relieve one from their pain rather than watch them suffer. They also take in account of God's concern as they believe God would not want his 'children' to suffer and therefore even he would want that. Moreover, they feel that 'technically' God will be the one deciding the person's death as it is he who writes their destiny.

Non-secular countries like the ones in the Middle East have banned euthanasia as they believe it is against God's will as discussed previously. Whereas, certain European countries like Holland have allowed it under critical conditions. Although these approaches are poles apart, I feel a middle route must be taken as done by India and several countries. This middle route revolves around granting passive euthanasia, where one's life support is removed giving a slow painless death, rather than normal euthanasia that too under immense conditions and approval from the health authorities stating that the person cannot improve and his/her health will further degrade.
I think I've finally figured out the problem. English isn't your first language because you're from India. I think you should get a professional proofreader to edit your essays and to help you improve your English.

Have you considered doing law in India instead? I think you should apply to the National Law School of India University.
aaryaman1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by jessjanellbhons1)
I think I've finally figured out the problem. English isn't your first language because you're from India. I think you should get a professional proofreader to edit your essays and to help you improve your English.

Have you considered doing law in India instead? I think you should apply to the National Law School of India University.
Hmm. The thing is I have stayed in the Middle East for my entire life, so i have been raised speaking and learning English. Moreover, the problem with NLSIU is the fact that it has a whole section for general knowledge for which i have very limited knowledge as i have not resided in india. Another thing is that Oxford is my dream school. I excel at my IB diploma while taking Literature. Finally, what is wrong in this essay? I kept in mind the things you guys told me. I added more content, improved language structure and have no spelling errors and very few if any grammatical errors.
teenhorrorstory
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're not really debating anything. Firstly your intro is too long and waffly.
You need to address each point well and carefully. Also, avoid making statements such as those who oppose euthanasia tend to be racist and sexist- it's ridiculous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads