Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi ive finally got to make a decision.
    I got my A2 grades ABBC (Biology, chemistry, maths, history) and have a place in pharmacy, however i would like to study medicine so i have two options
    1) decline my place in pharmacy today, take a gap year and apply
    2) graduate as a pharmacist and then apply (of 3 med schools ive emailed only one says they would consider me if i started the pharmacy degree)
    THE RISKS
    if i decline my place in pharmacy its highly likely that i wouldnt get into medicine and then end up not on a pharmacy course either because they dont like being 2nd best to medicine (understandable)

or i could spend 4 years studying pharmacy wondering "what if?" or end up without a first or even if i got a first i hear its still extremely competitive to get in.

what do u think i should do?
    and could you also tell me what "first sitting" means because i resat a unit in chem last year.

please answer 2day because i have to inform my university whether im taking my place up today.
    ive got about 1 hour left and i just cannot decide on what to do. please offer ne last minute advice.

ReputationRep:
    go for med. there are always pharmacy places thru clearing.........as advised by my careers officer who i saw this morn! i'm in a sticky situation too!

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    are u also applying to med post a level, if so what grades do u have if u dont mind me asking. also have u got ur references yet?

ReputationRep:
    nope dentistry

yeh my references are good hehe i'm a persuasive person, joking i get on really well with my teachers my chem teach even offered to come to my house and tutor me if i wanted it

i got BBB so having to resit

ReputationRep:
    do u have to have references from all the teachers (i had 8 teachers and i dont think 2 of them will give me good references)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wejk)
    do u have to have references from all the teachers (i had 8 teachers and i dont think 2 of them will give me good references)
    One teacher writes the actual reference, with information given from all your teachers.

ReputationRep:
    oh right. well im off down school 2moz to see if they will write me 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wejk)
    oh right. well im off down school 2moz to see if they will write me 1.
    Go to your best teacher

ReputationRep:
    yes i will. thanks every1 for the advice

ReputationRep:
    ive been and my tutor said he'l do a reference, he said he already has all the information he needs from last year without going to ask individual teachers -is this right?

now i need to get my personal statement done, a few questions can i write about what i plan to do in gap year + ne ideas what i should say about y i took a gap year (remember i was down to do pharmacy).
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wejk)
    ive been and my tutor said he'l do a reference, he said he already has all the information he needs from last year without going to ask individual teachers -is this right?

now i need to get my personal statement done, a few questions can i write about what i plan to do in gap year + ne ideas what i should say about y i took a gap year (remember i was down to do pharmacy).
    thanks
    You could become a healthcare assistant or similar, in your local hospital. Since you're 18+ you should apply right now

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.