The Student Room Group

Driving test today

Hey everyone, I have my driving test and it's my first time. I would be grateful for some tips that could help me pass first time, thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Driving is easy. Just try not to crash or piss off other motorists.
Original post by Black Water
Hey everyone, I have my driving test and it's my first time. I would be grateful for some tips that could help me pass first time, thanks! :smile:

Stay calm, remember to keep checking your mirrors, look out for pedestrians and other drivers because even if you don't do anything wrong other drivers can make you fail. Try not to panic, don't rush things otherwise that's where you'll start to go wrong and panic, just do it at your own pace. Remember to keep looking at your speed, and watch out for changes of speed on the roads because the examiner can mark you for not observing and changing your speed when you need to. And enjoy it! You'll be absolutely fine, good luck! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Remember everything you've learned, be a safe driver and don't panic. Remember that you can ask your examiner to repeat directions if you need them to. I wish I'd known that for my first test. Taking a wrong turn and panicking about it caused me to make further mistakes and fail my first test. They'll be happy to repeat anything, and this'll keep you on track. Take deep breaths each time you stop the car, whether that be at traffic lights or when they ask you to pull up on the next safe place on the left. This'll help keep your nerves at bay and relax you!

I passed three days ago, so here's some experience from a recently passed driver! :h:
Reply 4
Original post by seasidestudy
Stay calm, remember to keep checking your mirrors, look out for pedestrians and other drivers because even if you don't do anything wrong other drivers can make you fail. Try not to panic, don't rush things otherwise that's where you'll start to go wrong and panic, just do it at your own pace. Remember to keep looking at your speed, and watch out for changes of speed on the roads because the examiner can mark you for not observing and changing your speed when you need to. And enjoy it! You'll be absolutely fine, good luck! :smile:

Thank you very much. :smile: Hopefully I will pass first time.
Reply 5
Got it, I'm really careful with them. It's annoying though when you don't know if someone is going to cross and you have to slow right down to be sure.
Reply 6
Original post by p92
Remember everything you've learned, be a safe driver and don't panic. Remember that you can ask your examiner to repeat directions if you need them to. I wish I'd known that for my first test. Taking a wrong turn and panicking about it caused me to make further mistakes and fail my first test. They'll be happy to repeat anything, and this'll keep you on track. Take deep breaths each time you stop the car, whether that be at traffic lights or when they ask you to pull up on the next safe place on the left. This'll help keep your nerves at bay and relax you!

I passed three days ago, so here's some experience from a recently passed driver! :h:

Thanks and congratulations! :smile: What two questions were you asked?

Make sure you don’t overtake on the left!

I got through 40 minutes of my first driving test without a single minor, but then failed 2 minutes away from the centre. I was on an A road in the left lane as I should be. However another learner was also on test, had gone into a panic and was in the right hand lane going at 20 miles an hour in a 40 zone. My driving instructor had told me off just before my test for going too slow which you can also fail for, so I was so worried about that I made sure to be going close to 40, which of course resulted in me overtaking the car doing 20 which was in the right lane.
I failed with one major.

So yes lesson learnt. Make sure you don’t overtake on the left and also watch out for other people on test haha.

Good luck!
Reply 8
just take it slowly, don't rush anything (pulling out at junctions) and think clearly, try to relax
Reply 9
Original post by ChelseyRoxberry
Make sure you don’t overtake on the left!

I got through 40 minutes of my first driving test without a single minor, but then failed 2 minutes away from the centre. I was on an A road in the left lane as I should be. However another learner was also on test, had gone into a panic and was in the right hand lane going at 20 miles an hour in a 40 zone. My driving instructor had told me off just before my test for going too slow which you can also fail for, so I was so worried about that I made sure to be going close to 40, which of course resulted in me overtaking the car doing 20 which was in the right lane.
I failed with one major.

So yes lesson learnt. Make sure you don’t overtake on the left and also watch out for other people on test haha.

Good luck!

Thank you and that was very unlucky for you. :frown: What were you supposed to do in that position then?

I passed second time last Wednesday:

Make your mirror checks OBVIOUS
Don't panic if you STALL, just say sorry and restart your engine CALMLY.
Keep your windows rolled down a bit so you hear cars, especially during maneuvers
If you get the emergency stop, make sure you handbrake + neutral and before you go, LOOK ALL AROUND YOU
Keep to the speed limit - do not drive too slowly
Don't take chances - if you feel it isn't safe to emerge then don't do it.
If the examiner asks you to pull over, before you go, just take a sip of water and take a breather.
Reply 11
Original post by Jwis
just take it slowly, don't rush anything (pulling out at junctions) and think clearly, try to relax

Ok thanks, I'm going to try my best to not rush it.
This reminds me, I need to rebook mine.

Good Luck OP :smile:
Original post by p92

I thought they changed the driving test a while back (maybe 8 years ago) so they gave you a destination and you had to plan your own route there. Remember getting paid to take a few trial tests when they were looking to change it.
Reply 14
Original post by Blue_Cow
I passed second time last Wednesday:

Make your mirror checks OBVIOUS
Don't panic if you STALL, just say sorry and restart your engine CALMLY.
Keep your windows rolled down a bit so you hear cars, especially during maneuvers
If you get the emergency stop, make sure you handbrake + neutral and before you go, LOOK ALL AROUND YOU
Keep to the speed limit - do not drive too slowly
Don't take chances - if you feel it isn't safe to emerge then don't do it.
If the examiner asks you to pull over, before you go, just take a sip of water and take a breather.

Thanks. Do you mind me asking what serious mistake you made on your first time?
Be confident. Know you are a good driver.

Visualise what roads you think you may come across and visualise how you will drive on those roads.

Also some examiners are more leniant than others, even if you almost mess up reversing around a car, if you drive well, they will pass you.

So relax!

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks. Do you mind me asking what serious mistake you made on your first time?

I mucked up on my bay parking :frown: Accidentally went a bit too far back and scraped a small bush LOL
Thank you and that was very unlucky for you. :frown: What were you supposed to do in that position then?

Slow down! I think it’s a little bit ridiculous because as far as I’m convened driving at less than 20mph on a 40mph A road is dangerous and stupid, but overtaking on the left is illegal so apparently that’s a definite no no.
I passed the second time anyway so all’s good. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Blue_Cow
I mucked up on my bay parking :frown: Accidentally went a bit too far back and scraped a small bush LOL

Unlucky. What manoeuvre were you made to do the second time? Any tips for bay parking?
Reply 19
Original post by ChelseyRoxberry
Slow down! I think it’s a little bit ridiculous because as far as I’m convened driving at less than 20mph on a 40mph A road is dangerous and stupid, but overtaking on the left is illegal so apparently that’s a definite no no.
I passed the second time anyway so all’s good. :smile:

Oh ok thanks and well done. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest