The Student Room Group

Ch4's The State. ISIS in a true light?

Two episodes in and so far it seems to be doing a reasonable job at showing what ISIS are doing and why they are doing it.
What surprised me was how specific it is about the scriptural basis for ISIS's ideology and actions. It doesn't shy away (as most commentators seem to) from the idea that ISIS is fundamentally Islamic and that people joining it are Muslims who do so for Islamic reasons.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
Two episodes in and so far it seems to be doing a reasonable job at showing what ISIS are doing and why they are doing it.
What surprised me was how specific it is about the scriptural basis for ISIS's ideology and actions. It doesn't shy away (as most commentators seem to) from the idea that ISIS is fundamentally Islamic and that people joining it are Muslims who do so for Islamic reasons.

Definitely resonates with the discussions on the boards within the TSR community.

I have often wondered whether some of the more vociferous Islamic apologists posting on the religious forums, are indeed, doing so from behind the 'IS curtain', if you will pardon the Soviet era analogy. The terminology used by some in the ISOC forum is definitely biased towards driving division and segregation by demonising anything remotely non-Islamic.

It's also very interesting to read the media reviews, which are most definitely polarised to either denigrate Kosminsky's work as a 'pure poison' recruitment campaign for would-be jihadists, or, revere it for being uncomfortably authentic and close to the truth.

It won't do anything to change the views of those with an agenda, who will seize it as a propaganda opportunity to promote arguments on both sides of the divide.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/aug/21/the-state-review-isis-peter-kosminsky

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4807862/CHRISTOPHER-STEVENS-reviews-Channel-4-s-State.html
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by QE2

When can I watch this?
Original post by JMR2017
When can I watch this?

I believe it's available right now on All4 - I watched the first episode on Sunday night.
Original post by Paracosm
I believe it's available right now on All4 - I watched the first episode on Sunday night.

OK, will try to watch.
Reply 5
Original post by uberteknik
I have often wondered whether some of the more vociferous Islamic apologists posting on the religious forums, are indeed, doing so from behind the 'IS curtain', if you will pardon the Soviet era analogy. The terminology used by some in the ISOC forum is definitely biased towards driving division and segregation by demonising anything remotely non-Islamic. Indeed. There are certainly some posters whose position on interpretation and application corresponds to some of the characters in The State.

It seems clear that.. Islam–modernism+zealotry =ISIS. .
.............sectarianism

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by QE2

Is it finished now?
Original post by paul514
Is it finished now?

No, it's on next week as well, episode 3.

I found it quite extraordinary as a programme because it didn't shy away or airbrush anything, a bit like the way Louis Theroux's shows work, in revealing the mechanisms that make these people tick.

I felt disturbed at times that it would appear like a recruiting video to some young Muslims.
Original post by paul514
Is it finished now?

Original post by Fullofsurprises
No, it's on next week as well, episode 3.

I found it quite extraordinary as a programme because it didn't shy away or airbrush anything, a bit like the way Louis Theroux's shows work, in revealing the mechanisms that make these people tick.

I felt disturbed at times that it would appear like a recruiting video to some young Muslims.

It's broadcast over four nights in succession. Episode 3 this evening (Tuesday) and the final episode tomorrow evening, both at 9pm.

Needs to be watched from the beginning. Episodes 1 and 2 here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-state/on-demand/60851-001

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-state/on-demand/60851-002
Need to watch this.
Actual Daily Mail comment: "IF THIS FILM HAD BEEN FOCUSED ON THE NEO-NAZIS THE LEFT WOULD BE OUT - INTIMIDATING AND DISHING OUT VIOLENCE - WHERE ARE THEY?"

Because every single member of the left supports ISIS. It's clear that despite the shouts to ban all media covering extremism, many people still do not know who ISIS are and what they want. There seems to be an attitude to "stay out of it" when the reality is extremism could very well prove to be a problem here in the UK if we do not actively seek out address it like this program does here.
Original post by uberteknik
It's broadcast over four nights in succession. Episode 3 this evening (Tuesday) and the final episode tomorrow evening, both at 9pm.

Needs to be watched from the beginning. Episodes 1 and 2 here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-state/on-demand/60851-001

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-state/on-demand/60851-002

Fair enough I'll stick it on series link
Reply 12
Last night's episode showed unusual (for the media) honesty is explaining how the rape of female captives is justified by Islam. (Obviously, Islam does not see it as "rape" because it is permitted by the Quran and sunnah).
inb4 they still added the obligatory "so-called".
Reply 14
Original post by _gcx
inb4 they still added the obligatory "so-called".
The film makers have made it quite clear that they consider ISIS to be very much "Islamic".
Original post by QE2
The film makers have made it quite clear that they consider ISIS to be very much "Islamic".

Good to hear :h:
Reply 16
Original post by _gcx
Good to hear :h:
There have been several scenes where characters carefully explain the Islamic justification behind specific actions and rules - even the use of female captives for sex. They even mentioned that it is permissible to have sex with a girl who has not yet started menstruation as long as she is "physically able".
Why are they making ISIS members seem to be chill, enjoyable guy to hang out with?
Why are there white nordic men in ISIS too?

It all seems a bit funny to me.
Original post by Divide Et Impera

Why are there white nordic men in ISIS too?

Because it reflects the real life situation, obviously.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-isis-fighters-city-lund-returning-jihadis-housing-job-education-benefits-reintegration-a7371266.html
cucks.jpg

We're not any better.
We'll be a caliphate by 2100.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending