Unconditional offers stop students working hard Watch

summer1311
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Unconditional offers offer no incentive to students to work hard, with some not even showing up for exams, The Secret Teacher has said.

More and more unconditional offers 'to get bums on seats' means that students lack motivation to study hard as they 'have a place anyway'.

With the cap on students accepted at uni removed, higher education has turned into a buyers market and unis are becoming more and more competitive to attract students to their institutions, including offering unconditional offers, which used to be as rare as finding 'diamonds on Brighton beach'.

The Secret Teacher concludes: "My plea to universities is to please do this with thought; don’t make unconditional offers a default for earning extra income. Offer scholarships as an incentive, knock down grades for the most able students, but please don’t take away the incentive for them to work hard"

What do you think about this take on unconditional offers? Did you get one and stop working? Or did you stay motivated and got your expected grades?
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by summer1311)
Unconditional offers offer no incentive to students to work hard, with some not even showing up for exams, The Secret Teacher has said.

More and more unconditional offers 'to get bums on seats' means that students lack motivation to study hard as they 'have a place anyway'.

With the cap on students accepted at uni removed, higher education has turned into a buyers market and unis are becoming more and more competitive to attract students to their institutions, including offering unconditional offers, which used to be as rare as finding 'diamonds on Brighton beach'.

The Secret Teacher concludes: "My plea to universities is to please do this with thought; don’t make unconditional offers a default for earning extra income. Offer scholarships as an incentive, knock down grades for the most able students, but please don’t take away the incentive for them to work hard"

What do you think about this take on unconditional offers? Did you get one and stop working? Or did you stay motivated and got your expected grades?
If you got to uni and applied for first or second year work experience or similar scheme and they require a minimum of x ucas points or an A grade in maths etc... those people would regret it for sure. Or if they changed their mind and had to reapply to uni...
summer1311
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
If you got to uni and applied for first or second year work experience or similar scheme and they require a minimum of x ucas points or an A grade in maths etc... those people would regret it for sure. Or if they changed their mind and had to reapply to uni...
These are both very good points! There are many occasions where you might need your A levels whilst at uni or before you get there.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't agree with unconditional offers flat out (unless you already have the grades of course). They quite rightfully do stop people from trying and are merely a desperate way for universities to try and get more students & more funding.

Oxbridge and I'm fairly sure most, if not all, RG unis do not give out unconditional offers and it's generally the '''lower quality''' universities that do. Which speaks volumes about why they're doing it.
summer1311
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asolare)
I don't agree with unconditional offers flat out (unless you already have the grades of course). They quite rightfully do stop people from trying and are merely a desperate way for universities to try and get more students & more funding.

Oxbridge and I'm fairly sure most, if not all, RG unis do not give out unconditional offers and it's generally the '''lower quality''' universities that do. Which speaks volumes about why they're doing it.
Some RG unis do give out unconditional offers - see this thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3995025

True, most unconditional offers from RG are to students who already have their grades, but there are many brilliant unis which are non RG which give out unconditional offers- e.g. Uni of Sussex.
Queen Mary UL and Birmingham, both RG unis, give unconditional offers to excellent students without their A2 grades.

I do disagree with offering unconditional offers as a way to fill spaces.
Pugglet
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I was originally given conditional offers and then after I'd sat the exams but before results day they were changed into unconditionals. I didn't notice it had changed tbh, but I do feel that if they had been unconditionals originally I would not have worked as hard.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"Unconditional if Firmed" is a marketing scam and should be banned.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Queen Mary UL and Birmingham, both RG unis, give unconditional offers to excellent students without their A2 grades.

I do disagree with offering unconditional offers as a way to fill spaces.
QMUL and Birmingham (and anyone else issuing Unconditional if Firm offers) only do it to satisfy your last sentence.

It's a scam.
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends, everyone is different. Some people still have the motivation to do well whilst some don't.

I had a few unconditional offers but it didn't stop me from working hard. I was determined to achieve D*D*D* and that's what I got. Despite how rushed and stressed I was during the last few months of college, I made sure I completed all my assignments to a distinction level.

One of my friends got an unconditional offer from her first choice uni but she still wanted to get good grades. She pushed herself so much in terms of revision, she actually ended up having several panic attacks
annamarshall2727
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was worried my unconditional would stop me working hard however I achieved A*A*B, higher than my predicted grades of AAB, if anything my unconditional relieved stress and allowed me to perform better in my exams
IzzyReeves
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got an unconditional offer and got the best grades in my school, A* in maths, geography and my EPQ and an A in French. I know having an unconditional took the pressure off me which allowed me to properly focus on my exams
DoritoEvie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have an unconditional from my first choice and that didn't stop me from working hard. I ended up getting A*A*A.
However, I feel like there should be conditions that must be met to keep the unconditional - e.g. students must have no lower than 1/2 Cs in order to keep it and get a place. So whilst there would be no 'official' grades they should meet, there should be some conditions anyway.
It really pissed me off when I saw other people get unconditionals in my year and then just piss around - surely the unis still expect something from the student, maybe even more than from conditionals.
My ethic was to show the uni that they shouldn't regret giving me a place immediately - that turned out so well that I even ended up receiving a scholarship. Sadly not everyone has this mentality.
IzzyReeves
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DoritoEvie)
I have an unconditional from my first choice and that didn't stop me from working hard. I ended up getting A*A*A.
However, I feel like there should be conditions that must be met to keep the unconditional - e.g. students must have no lower than 1/2 Cs in order to keep it and get a place. So whilst there would be no 'official' grades they should meet, there should be some conditions anyway.
It really pissed me off when I saw other people get unconditionals in my year and then just piss around - surely the unis still expect something from the student, maybe even more than from conditionals.
My ethic was to show the uni that they shouldn't regret giving me a place immediately - that turned out so well that I even ended up receiving a scholarship. Sadly not everyone has this mentality.
This was the same as me! Lancaster by any chance..?
DoritoEvie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IzzyReeves)
This was the same as me! Lancaster by any chance..?
No, sorry - Nottingham Trent
notonlyme
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree with the above posters: it entirely depends on the person. For some, they will see it as an excuse to slack on work, but for others they'll see it as having the pressure taken off in order for them to focus on their exams.

I was the latter. I received 5 unconditional offers yet I still worked my butt off and ended up with 3 A*s. One of my friends also received an unconditional for her top choice, and achieved 3 As. We both saw it as a positive to have our unconditionals as it allowed us to focus completely on revision. As someone who suffers from anxiety, I believe the knowledge that I was attending university no matter what actually meant I performed better in my exams.

Nevertheless, it is completely down to the person as to the effect an unconditional would have on their grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?