Should an unconditional offer always be unconditional? Watch

LittleAndQuiet
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I don't want to create any hate or anything, but this is something that I've been thinking about for a while.

Should an unconditional offer stay unconditional if the student can't meet the expected bare minimum?

I understand that unconditional offers mean that the uni agrees to accept the student so long as they don't get a criminal record, but does that mean they should? What if the student gets a U in a course that's related to the degree? Like an English Lit degree applicant getting a U in English Lit A-level? Would it not mean that the student may struggle with degree study?

Just interested to hear what other people think about this.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LittleAndQuiet)
Just interested to hear what other people think about this.
Taking on inferior or poorly-prepared candidates is the risk the university knowingly takes. It weighs this against the likelihood of attracting more students, from those that are less confident or more easily flattered, away from its competitors and thus being surer of its income stream. If the results turn out badly you can be sure that there will be fewer such offers in the future.
baznoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was given an "unconditional offer" for natural sciences at Lancaster university, but was warned that if I didn't achieve at least an A in maths, then I wouldn't be able to do the maths modules. I think that's fair enough, but the university must make sure that the student can relatively easily achieve their conditions within the unconditional offer
Potato456
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, I'm not to impressed with this 'unconditional' malarkey - it'll just make a level students lazy, because they'll know that they don't need the high grades any more
paisc
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I went to Lancaster open day, and the Philosophy lecturer was talking about their unconditional scheme or whatever they call it. And philosophy at Lancaster offers are around AAB to ABB, and the student was predicted A*A*B or something along the lines of that and got an unconditional offer, and at A level they got CDD or around, and safe to say the lecturer wasn't happy about it😂 but he also went on to say those grades are with them forever, but overall I guess they'll still expect you to meet the entry requirements, i believe it's just to increase the numbers of students at a University.
Kocytean
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have a friend who took an unconditional offer, but there was also a grant involved which was conditional on grades. That is one very effective way to keep unconditional offer holders motivated.
NotKidding
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Might be a controversial opinion but I personally believe unconditional offers pre-exam results should not even exist.

The 2 people I know who got unconditional offers from Nottingham I believe(?) instantly worked less and achieved grades below what they were predicted.

The UK Entry system is tough (having to meet certain grades) but I personally think it's only fair if it's tough for every one, without exceptions.
Abby3112
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it can make people lazy, I received an unconditional offer from a decent but not top-tier uni but I declined it as I wanted to challenge myself to reach St Andrews.

I personally decided that I would rather take the risk of getting no university place over taking the easy route - for me it certainly paid off, I reached even higher grades than expected - I would have certainly regretted committing myself to a lower tier university and would not have been as dedicated to studying.

Everyone I know from my school who was offered an unconditional didn't take it for pretty much the same reason as me. That probably shows people don't just take it as it is the easier option. Most people do like to feel as if they have achieved something.

Those who do take the offer and get average/ low a level grades are not necessarily a problem for the university as the lower grades are most likely due to lack of motivation rather than lack of knowledge or intelligence, thus the university is not necessarily losing out as they would still gain a student who is capable of doing well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads