The Student Room Group

DBS Check

My university has offered me a place on a PGCE course, conditional upon me completing a DBS check. How do I do this? I've searched on multiple sites online; they all say that an individual cannot apply for a DBS check, only the hiring institution can. I'm a bit lost! Where is the online application?

Thank you.
Original post by Perfuddled
My university has offered me a place on a PGCE course, conditional upon me completing a DBS check. How do I do this? I've searched on multiple sites online; they all say that an individual cannot apply for a DBS check, only the hiring institution can. I'm a bit lost! Where is the online application?

Thank you.

Contact your university ASAP, they should be the ones who sort it out as long as your provide the documents!
Reply 2
Original post by blondie :)
Contact your university ASAP, they should be the ones who sort it out as long as your provide the documents!

That's what I thought! I emailed uni and they said: 'Please see further guidance for completion of your DBS check on our website www.cumbria.ac.uk/dbs'. Well that link contains no information at all about how to actually get a DBS. It says I have to 'complete an online application form', but there is no link to this.
That's what I thought! I emailed uni and they said: 'Please see further guidance for completion of your DBS check on our website www.cumbria.ac.uk/dbs'. Well that link contains no information at all about how to actually get a DBS. It says I have to 'complete an online application form', but there is no link to this.

Checked the website and they said you should have log in link to do the online application in an email? So have you not received any email?

"How to complete your online DBS form

Go to our disclosure application website

Click the link provided in the email regarding your application. If you had your ID documents verified by the University of Cumbria, this email will say ‘University of Cumbria DBS Application-Part 2’ in the subject line.

If you are having your ID documents verified at the Post Office or by an appropriate professional local to you, this email will say ‘University of Cumbria DBS Application: Post Office ID Check’ or ‘University of Cumbria DBS Application: Non-UK ID Check’ in the subject line.

Haven’t received the email with the log-in instructions?

If you are having your ID verified by the University of Cumbria, this email can only be sent after you have provided sufficient acceptable identity documents, so you must follow-up any queries on this (e.g. missing documents) quickly.

If you are having your ID verified at the Post Office or by a local professional, you should receive the log-in email at the point we upload your student record to the DBS system.

Please check your spam/junk folder: the email is automated and comes from an address ending ‘@cumbria.disclosures.co.uk’. If you still can’t find the email please contact us"

Reply 4
Original post by summer1311
Checked the website and they said you should have log in link to do the online application in an email? So have you not received any email?

The only email I have received is the offer of the place, which contains no link. Do I just blindly send them my ID documents? There's no address to send them to. I might just be being really thick about this, but there seems to be something missing somewhere. Thank you all for your fast replies by the way!

Thank you.

You yourself cannot complete a DBS check, it has to be done by your university. They should send you a form to fill out, which they then send off and you will be sent the certificate once it's all been processed :smile:

If you haven't received anything from your university it's best to contact them to see how/when they'll be posting you the DBS forms.
The only email I have received is the offer of the place, which contains no link. Do I just blindly send them my ID documents? There's no address to send them to. I might just be being really thick about this, but there seems to be something missing somewhere. Thank you all for your fast replies by the way!

Don't be posting your I'd documents off to any old randomer at the university, that would be foolish.

As others have said, your university has to initiate this process, they should send you a link to complete the online part of the check and you'll have to pop in with the documentation they need to see after this. Contact admissions, they should be able to help you out
Reply 7
The university has just sent me an email explaining that they will send the link to the online application form once I accept their offer. So that explains that!
Reply 8
Thats right. Fill it in online and take your required ID to the Post Offuce. You have to pay for it at the post office, and they confirm your documents.

You will need to fill in the health quesionnaire online too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't have to take any id documents when I did my uni dbs. I just filled in the form. DBS for my school had to have countless examples of I'd.
Reply 10
The people Cumbria use for DBS ask for ID

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry about that. You can easily get help with a DBS check. You have to apply for a DBS application at https://www.dbs-check-online.org.uk/ website. They can provide you the certificate in 7 days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending