The Student Room Group

Universities for Computer Science

Best universities for CS?
Factoring in:
1. Course
2. Campus
3. Student life
4. Graduate Prospects

I'm thinking of applying to Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Imperial or UCL as firms.
I visited Warwick and loved it and I didn't like Imperial on visit.

For CS applicants and those already at university which universities do you think have the most interesting courses and which have the best 'uni life'

Thnx 🤙🏾
Original post by FourTheColour
Best universities for CS?
Factoring in:
1. Course
2. Campus
3. Student life
4. Graduate Prospects

I'm thinking of applying to Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Imperial or UCL as firms.
I visited Warwick and loved it and I didn't like Imperial on visit.

For CS applicants and those already at university which universities do you think have the most interesting courses and which have the best 'uni life'

Thnx 🤙🏾

I am not sure how strong CS at Durham is. I haven't read a lot of quality research from there and they have cut down on their postgrad CS courses recently.

I would also recommend Southampton as they have a world class CS department.
Original post by jestersnow

I know league tables shouldn't be taken as the word of God but on CUG Durham are 4th for CS and Southampton are 11th. Why is this so?

Also what are you doing right now? Going into year 13? In uni?
Reply 3
I heard imperial is one of the best for computer science as well as one of the toughest for the course. Personally I'd stick to London for a really good uni life just bear in mind London is quite expensive. Try UCL or Warwick. Any of the universities you mentioned have also excellent graduate prospects. Computer science is in high demand.
(edited 6 years ago)
I know league tables shouldn't be taken as the word of God but on CUG Durham are 4th for CS and Southampton are 11th. Why is this so?

Also what are you doing right now? Going into year 13? In uni?

Ha ha I wish! I'm a mature student just finishing my 2nd masters. So I've had a good bit of experience reading and analysing CS research in various areas, and you will see certain universities time and again when you are citing quality research. In the UK, it's Oxbride, UCL, Bristol, Southampton, Imperial usually. I would also give honourable mentions to Birmingham and Royal Holloway (they were related to my cyber security dissertation).

I'm sure Durham has a very competent CS department, but based on reviews on here from students who went there, the contraction of their CS department and a lack (in terms of quantity) of high quality research from Durham in CS, it creates the impression that regardless of the rankings, the CS department isn't one of the best. I also had 2 friends (PhD students) attend a conference at Durham a few weeks ago. They came away from their time at Durham with the impression CS wasn't a top priority at Durham. I'm sure if you went there you'd get a fine education. There might be better uni's in terms of CS though.

I mean, this is what the CS/EE department at Southampton have recently came up with. Genuinely something that is a game changer in terms of technology. It caused quite the stir in academic circles around the world when it happened (it was mentioned in academic journals and magazines in many countries).

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/2016/02/5d-data-storage-update.page
Reply 5
Can only speak for manchester but I'd defo recommend my course.

They teach you everything from the ground up in first year so you needn't have any worry if you do not come from a coding background. First year modules are varied, and you explore the hardware side (engineering) of things, the mathematical side of things (probability, logic and modelling), and then brute coding (java, ARM assembly language). Java is especially comprehensive with the lecturer being the eccentric lad (an understatement) who wrote Java just in Time. You really get to discover where your strengths lie and what interests you the most. Research is also a pretty big deal at manc as well.

Comp sci is at kilburn, kind of in the centre of campus. Lots of maccys and subways near by as well as a personal cafe. In terms of student life, I can vouch that manchester is pretty lit. Like you will never get bored. There is so much to do.

apparently according to uni stats 95% go on to work or study after completing the course. Hoping that's the case :lol: When applying I was looking for a uni that was well respected in my field, but one that also had a banging nightlife/social scene. So yeah, if that's important to you then manc might be an option.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ha ha I wish! I'm a mature student just finishing my 2nd masters. So I've had a good bit of experience reading and analysing CS research in various areas, and you will see certain universities time and again when you are citing quality research. In the UK, it's Oxbride, UCL, Bristol, Southampton, Imperial usually. I would also give honourable mentions to Birmingham and Royal Holloway (they were related to my cyber security dissertation).

I'm sure Durham has a very competent CS department, but based on reviews on here from students who went there, the contraction of their CS department and a lack (in terms of quantity) of high quality research from Durham in CS, it creates the impression that regardless of the rankings, the CS department isn't one of the best. I also had 2 friends (PhD students) attend a conference at Durham a few weeks ago. They came away from their time at Durham with the impression CS wasn't a top priority at Durham. I'm sure if you went there you'd get a fine education. There might be better uni's in terms of CS though.

I mean, this is what the CS/EE department at Southampton have recently came up with. Genuinely something that is a game changer in terms of technology. It caused quite the stir in academic circles around the world when it happened (it was mentioned in academic journals and magazines in many countries).

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/2016/02/5d-data-storage-update.page

What uni did u study at?
I am not sure how strong CS at Durham is. I haven't read a lot of quality research from there and they have cut down on their postgrad CS courses recently.

That.

This is one of the reasons why I turned down Durham when they gave me an offer.
What uni did u study at?

Ulster and QUB. I have attended conferences at Glasgow, Edinburgh, Birmingham and visited Southampton too.

I had a professor who did his PhD at Southampton, and experience in talking to tech recruiters when I briefly worked in London. They all rated Southampton highly. :smile:

And I feel silly for forgetting but Edinburgh/Glasgow is really worth considering too for CS. Excellent universities and opportunities for CS. Both involved in bleeding edge research. Well regarded internationally. And it's a great cities!
(edited 6 years ago)

And I feel silly for forgetting but Edinburgh/Glasgow is really worth considering too for CS. Excellent universities and opportunities for CS. Both involved in bleeding edge research. Well regarded internationally. And it's a great cities!

I live in London 😂I don't think I'll be applying to any universities in Scotland.

Ulster and QUB. I have attended conferences at Glasgow, Edinburgh, Birmingham and visited Southampton too.

Any opinion on Birminghams conference. Also, what were these conferences on? How would you rank the quality of teaching at your own university?
Swansea is known for CS

rank 3 in one of the tables and they have brand new CS building due 2018
I've heard Imperial is great, but for really good programming theory then I think Cambridge
I live in London 😂I don't think I'll be applying to any universities in Scotland.

Any opinion on Birminghams conference. Also, what were these conferences on? How would you rank the quality of teaching at your own university?

Edinburgh (HPC)
Glasgow (Haskell)
Birmingham (Cyber Security)

Birmingham seemed quite nice but there were a few unhappy students with the teaching there, and the bit we were in was quite a bit out of town.

Ulster was great for student satisfaction and had a strong CS department. Its a young uni but its really up and coming. They have a new £250 million campus in Belfast opening soon. It is not the most prestigious university at present.

QUB was great for post grad but just okay for undergrad. As a smaller Russell group uni, there is an emphasis on research. This can be to the detriment of undergrads though as staff are more concerned with researching than lecturing.

QUB isn't as math heavy vs some other uni's for CS. It is however a top 10 uni for EE .
(edited 6 years ago)
Edinburgh (HPC)
Glasgow (Haskell)
Birmingham (Cyber Security)

Birmingham seemed quite nice but there were a few unhappy students with the teaching there, and the bit we were in was quite a bit out of town.

Ulster was great for student satisfaction and had a strong CS department. Its a young uni but its really up and coming. They have a new £250 million campus in Belfast opening soon. It is not the most prestigious university at present.

QUB was great for post grad but just okay for undergrad. As a smaller Russell group uni, there is an emphasis on research. This can be to the detriment of undergrads though as staff are more concerned with researching than lecturing.

QUB isn't as math heavy vs some other uni's for CS. It is however a top 10 uni for EE .

Thinking of Applying to QUB (And maybe Edinburgh and Glasgow) is it really bad? Did you do CS or SE or what where else would you recommend to someone from NI?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by M4cc4n4
Thinking of Applying to QUB (And maybe Edinburgh and Glasgow) is it really bad? Did you do CS or SE or what where else would you recommend to someone from NI?

So no, its not bad. Is it CS you are doing?

While Qub is not bad, its not amazing either. Lecturers are often more focused onresearch so tend to spend as little time as possible working with students. Some of them will even tell you if you ask them directly that they don't like teaching. That comes across big time.

UU is a decent alternative, especially the CS program in Magee.

Glasgow and Edinburgh are a step above qub in terms of CS. No doubt about that though.

It depends on your goals too. QUB is pretty good with placement years and most grads get jobs no bother, as do UU. Most of them are employed in NI though. QUB and uu both tend to be less math orientated than some of the other big uni's. Having a more math orientated CS degree is only useful if you plan to do postgrad/Phd/research roles IMO.

I did my masters with students who did their degrees in UCD and DCU. You might want to check those uni's too as the CS degrees ( think DCU called it Computer Applications) are supposed to be very good and well linkedin with the so called "Silicon Dock" area in Dublin.
So no, its not bad. Is it CS you are doing?

While Qub is not bad, its not amazing either. Lecturers are often more focused onresearch so tend to spend as little time as possible working with students. Some of them will even tell you if you ask them directly that they don't like teaching. That comes across big time.

UU is a decent alternative, especially the CS program in Magee.

Glasgow and Edinburgh are a step above qub in terms of CS. No doubt about that though.

It depends on your goals too. QUB is pretty good with placement years and most grads get jobs no bother, as do UU. Most of them are employed in NI though. QUB and uu both tend to be less math orientated than some of the other big uni's. Having a more math orientated CS degree is only useful if you plan to do postgrad/Phd/research roles IMO.

I did my masters with students who did their degrees in UCD and DCU. You might want to check those uni's too as the CS degrees ( think DCU called it Computer Applications) are supposed to be very good and well linkedin with the so called "Silicon Dock" area in Dublin.

Looked at NUI Galway and DCU but not UCD, the CAO doesn't open until November so that's okay for now. So if you get stuck don't expect much help from the lecturers at qub?
Original post by M4cc4n4
Looked at NUI Galway and DCU but not UCD, the CAO doesn't open until November so that's okay for now. So if you get stuck don't expect much help from the lecturers at qub?

Some are okay, others are worse than useless. It's not that they don't know their stuff, it's just as a small RG uni, there is pressure on lecturers/researchers to produce excellent research because that is worth a fortune to the Queens.

Case in point: just a single part of the school of EEECS just got awarded £40 million in funding for the next couple of years. That's not even for the whole of EEECS. So research is worth more money to the uni usually. Hence the priority is in producing top drawer research, and if you get a lecturer who is heavily involved in research, chances are they won't have much interest in helping you as you aren't a priority for them.

Additionally, unless you go all out and get the union involved, QUB really won't do much with your feedback if you are having a negative experience. If they lose 10% or 20% of undergrads in a class, that will cost them at worst a couple of million over the same period that the research funding covers. Hence they care much more about their research than their undergrads usually (at least in EEECS) because they make more money doing that.*

At Ulster (at least when I was there) they worked with you a lot more and they took any feedback you had for them on board and would get back to the class rep with some sort of response. You don't get that at QUB with EEECS usually.

* I will also point out though if you are doing a PhD at QUB, it's a fantastic place to do it because the university will back you to the hilt as your work will help them get a lot of money. So they usually look after their PhD students very well. Just not their undergrads :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending