The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Maintenance loan doesn't cover my rent

So i received my accommodation offer yesterday and it comes to £6188 a year! I had to accept it because i needed somewhere to live and it does look really nice, plus my parents told me to accept it. However my maintenance loan is only £3928 a year... meaning while i'm trying to find a job, my parents are going to need to cover me for the remainder of my rent plus food and living! I don't want to ask them for this amount of money, but they say it's fine. I doubt any job i get will cover me that much either :frown:

I'm just a bit concerned about living off my parents while i'm supposed to be attempting independence, but i don't have much choice because of the rent amount. If anyone has any advice i would really appreciate it! Or if anyone has had/ is having similar issues it would be nice to talk!
Original post by megannie
So i received my accommodation offer yesterday and it comes to £6188 a year! I had to accept it because i needed somewhere to live and it does look really nice, plus my parents told me to accept it. However my maintenance loan is only £3928 a year... meaning while i'm trying to find a job, my parents are going to need to cover me for the remainder of my rent plus food and living! I don't want to ask them for this amount of money, but they say it's fine. I doubt any job i get will cover me that much either :frown:

I'm just a bit concerned about living off my parents while i'm supposed to be attempting independence, but i don't have much choice because of the rent amount. If anyone has any advice i would really appreciate it! Or if anyone has had/ is having similar issues it would be nice to talk!

I'm in the same boat, except I won't be looking to get a job either :/

If your parents say they're fine to pay, I guess it isn't that much of an issue to them. You're their child after all, and they'll be saving money on not feeding you at home etc.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by Edrulesok
I'm in the same boat, except I won't be looking to get a job either :/

If your parents say they're fine to pay, I guess it isn't that much of an issue to them. You're their child after all, and they'll be saving money on not feeding you at home etc.

It's good to know that i'm not the only one! Yeah i just feel a bit guilty because i'mm be asking them for over £2000 a year for rent and probably more than that again for food and living, but they know i'm not asking selfishly i think :smile: I'm going to see how i cope without a job then if i feel i need one to give myself a bit of pocket money i'll get one.
Reply 3
It's good to know that i'm not the only one! Yeah i just feel a bit guilty because i'mm be asking them for over £2000 a year for rent and probably more than that again for food and living, but they know i'm not asking selfishly i think :smile: I'm going to see how i cope without a job then if i feel i need one to give myself a bit of pocket money i'll get one.

Lots of students rely on their parents during university, some people even rely on parents to help out well into their third year. If your parents are capable and willing to pay, then I wouldn't feel guilty, the maintenance loan they give some students is ridiclous.

But you'll likely have to get a job, because even with your parent's help, you have little left over for food, travel and leisure.

If you get maintenance loan so low, clearly your family have a high income, therefore should be paying you for university....
I'm guessing you applied on the forms with section 7 & 8 which I think make the loan dependant on your household income..?
Reply 6

Either your parents are in a really high income bracket (therefore should be supporting you) your their income hasn't been assessed by SFE yet; £3,928 is the minimum amount everyone is entitled to.
The system doesn't specifically say that parents should cover the short full but unfortunately that is the case.

Do you think they will financially support you?
Reply 8
Original post by mattymoo432
The system doesn't specifically say that parents should cover the short full but unfortunately that is the case.

Do you think they will financially support you?

Yeah my parents and I have sorted some stuff out to do with money and going to uni, but i don't want to ask them for so much :frown: i feel like i should be being independent and asking my parents for over £2000 just to rent in halls for a year is just not what i had in mind :,)
But i know they will support me, it's more just feeling guilty.
Reply 9
If you feel like you can't handle a job whilst at uni, you could get a temporary job over the summer months to earn extra money

Quick Reply

Latest