My Neighbour's Secret CCTV Cameras

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
We have suspicions that my neighbour deals drugs, but i don't want to go into detail of that on here.

Last year, he broke his window because he got locked out and couldn't unlock the dead-bolted door and he never repaired the damage, instead he placed cardboard over it. Neighbours have also seen a CCTV camera hidden in the cardboard, which overlooks the entrance to the flat, the opposite flats, and a road which is frequented by parents picking their kids up from school, so he would have footage of infant school aged kids as well.

Is he breaking the law doing this?
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
We have suspicions that my neighbour deals drugs, but i don't want to go into detail of that on here.

Last year, he broke his window because he got locked out and couldn't unlock the dead-bolted door and he never repaired the damage, instead he placed cardboard over it. Neighbours have also seen a CCTV camera hidden in the cardboard, which overlooks the entrance to the flat, the opposite flats, and a road which is frequented by parents picking their kids up from school, so he would have footage of infant school aged kids as well.

Is he breaking the law doing this?
The CCTV surveillance code of practice is incredibly complex and full of inconsistencies. The short answer is that he (like just about everyone who has CCTV at home) is not compliant if their cameras overlook other private areas. However, getting enforcement is extremely difficult as just about everyone operates their systems illegally - and now that the legislation covers video entry / video doorbell systems which are being sold hand over fist - it's even harder.

One question though - why on earth would you buy drugs from someone who is recording you? That alone could sink his business - which makes me suspect he's not selling drugs.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
The CCTV surveillance code of practice is incredibly complex and full of inconsistencies. The short answer is that he (like just about everyone who has CCTV at home) is not compliant if their cameras overlook other private areas. However, getting enforcement is extremely difficult as just about everyone operates their systems illegally - and now that the legislation covers video entry / video doorbell systems which are being sold hand over fist - it's even harder.

One question though - why on earth would you buy drugs from someone who is recording you? That alone could sink his business - which makes me suspect he's not selling drugs.
You would think, but he was a heroine addict and he has known crack addicts round his flat too. People turn up on Friday evenings mainly and stay for 5 minutes, then leave. People turn up in cars, and if we see them out the window they park their cars where we can't seen them and wait for hours until they think we have left. I was even at my kitchen sink once, where i can see the entrance to the flat and a young man saw me and stopped dead in his tracks, and locked eyes with me, as if he'd been caught.

His cameras are very hard to spot though, there used to be ivy growing in front of his window and the camera was spotted behind that, and once it was removed the camera was no longer there. Until the cardboard was put up, and one neighbour is hawk-eyed and said he could see it through a hole, and showed his girlfriend who saw it too. I would not be surprised that these customers wouldn't see it since most of them actually jog into the building, and jog back out
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
You would think, but he was a heroine addict and he has known crack addicts round his flat too. People turn up on Friday evenings mainly and stay for 5 minutes, then leave. People turn up in cars, and if we see them out the window they park their cars where we can't seen them and wait for hours until they think we have left. I was even at my kitchen sink once, where i can see the entrance to the flat and a young man saw me and stopped dead in his tracks, and locked eyes with me, as if he'd been caught.

His cameras are very hard to spot though, there used to be ivy growing in front of his window and the camera was spotted behind that, and once it was removed the camera was no longer there. Until the cardboard was put up, and one neighbour is hawk-eyed and said he could see it through a hole, and showed his girlfriend who saw it too. I would not be surprised that these customers wouldn't see it since most of them actually jog into the building, and jog back out
So what exactly is the issue - you're concerned that he's selling drugs, or that he's in breach of the Data Protection Act?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (633)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.42%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise