The Student Room Group

Is a law degree worthwhile

I'm not studying a-level but I have looked into it. I don't want to do any practical courses like sciences and law interests me most but I don't know what itll be like or if i'll even be able to do it
Honest and educated advice, which you can take or leave - but not many people will be this straight with you:

If you really want to be a solicitor/barrister and are willing to put 100% into the course and do extra work experience outside of your course (and network in time for graduation) - yes, go for it.

If not, it's as useful as any other arts/humanities degree from anywhere that isn't Oxbridge in the current economy (i.e. not a great deal of use unless you fancy a job as a Barista instead of Barrister). Unless you really know what you want to do with a non-vocational degree then you will just be feeling in the dark in 3 years time when looking for work (unless you have family connections or get lucky with applications).

Decide what you want to do and if it requires a degree, do that. Don't decide on a degree without knowing what you're going to do with it. Work forwards, not backwards - you'll only create more work for yourself in future when you find out what you really want to do and then realize that it's very very expensive to retrain.

As for not wanting to do a ''practical'' course - everything becomes practical after 3 years of uni, so it's just a case of how soon you want to get the correct practical experience to help yourself find employment. So even if you did an non-vocational degree, you would be massively shooting yourself in the foot to not do any practical work experience placements for the duration of the course. In fact I would advise any one to start in 1st year (summer, for example).

- A graduate (BA) doing a 2nd degree (BSc)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Honest and educated advice, which you can take or leave - but not many people will be this straight with you:

If you really want to be a solicitor/barrister and are willing to put 100% into the course and do extra work experience outside of your course (and network in time for graduation) - yes, go for it.

If not, it's as useful as any other arts/humanities degree from anywhere that isn't Oxbridge in the current economy (i.e. not a great deal of use unless you fancy a job as a Barista instead of Barrister). Unless you really know what you want to do with a non-vocational degree then you will just be feeling in the dark in 3 years time when looking for work (unless you have family connections or get lucky with applications).

Decide what you want to do and if it requires a degree, do that. Don't decide on a degree without knowing what you're going to do with it. Work forwards, not backwards - you'll only create more work for yourself in future when you find out what you really want to do and then realize that it's very very expensive to retrain.

As for not wanting to do a ''practical'' course - everything becomes practical after 3 years of uni, so it's just a case of how soon you want to get the correct practical experience to help yourself find employment. So even if you did an non-vocational degree, you would be massively shooting yourself in the foot to not do any practical work experience placements for the duration of the course. In fact I would advise any one to start in 1st year (summer, for example).

Thanks a lot for taking your time to reply, you honestly have helped a lot.
Reply 3
yes
Original post by somethingbeautiful

Aren't you the one who had a particularly bad run with a philosophy degree and was applying to GEM? This was from years ago, so I can't really remember.

I think your experience was particularly bad and your honest tone should be tempered somewhat. There is still employment for humanities graduates in the form of general grad schemes. It can be difficult to get on such schemes, but your awful luck has made you (unreasonably?) disdainful of BA degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending