The Student Room Group

Nursing Applicants 2018

Hello, :banana:

I'm Liliana and I'm 17, soon to start my second year of A-levels. I study chemistry, biology and Spanish and I will be applying to adult nursing this autumn; therefore I created this thread so I could (hopefully) get to talk to students who are also thinking of applying not only to adult nursing but any other field within nursing :biggrin:

I have some questions for you lot:

- What A-levels/ BTEC course are you studying?
- What nursing field are you interesting in?
- Have you started writing your personal statement?
- How are you feeling about the last year of A-levels/ BTEC?
- A random fact about you?

It would be amazing if at least one person replied :pcguru:! I find it really difficult to find people interested in nursing, none of my friends are, and sometimes I just feel like having a nursing talk, LOL.

Thank you in advance,
Liliana :h:

ps: this is my first thread ever, don't leave me hanginggggg :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I am a mature student & start studying adult nursing this September. I would recommend starting your personal statement as soon as possible, I was on draft 10 when I sent my UCAS off & it pays to make a start early.
Also, have you been getting some work experience or doing some voluntary work in healthcare, not only is it great for your application but you can chat with some people that are also interested in nursing & healthcare too.
I hope this helps & good luck with your application & last year at college!
Original post by mel_l218
Hi, I am a mature student & start studying adult nursing this September. I would recommend starting your personal statement as soon as possible, I was on draft 10 when I sent my UCAS off & it pays to make a start early.
Also, have you been getting some work experience or doing some voluntary work in healthcare, not only is it great for your application but you can chat with some people that are also interested in nursing & healthcare too.
I hope this helps & good luck with your application & last year at college!

Hello! First of all congratulations :smile: it's such a long process and knowing you're due to start your first year of nursing makes me happy.

I've actually started writing mine, I began writing it in June and I have made so many modifications and I'm just about to go back to it, hopefully finishing it before my tutor (and some other teachers) at college gets to look at it and give me feedback.
And that's true, work experience and voluntary work help a lot with the application. I've done quite a good amount of voluntary work, my favourite one being in a hospital ward :smile: I also took part in widening participation programmes related to nursing, and oh: taster days! With mock lectures; those were cool too. I personally feel like I've done enough, now it's all about making sure my personal statement reflects upon that, as well as smashing my exams next summer.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it! And good luck with your upcoming years of university life :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by lilianna_m8
Hello! First of all congratulations :smile: it's such a long process and knowing you're due to start your first year of nursing makes me happy.

I've actually started writing mine, I began writing it in June and I have made so many modifications and I'm just about to go back to it, hopefully finishing it before my tutor (and some other teachers) at college gets to look at it and give me feedback.
And that's true, work experience and voluntary work help a lot with the application. I've done quite a good amount of voluntary work, my favourite one being in a hospital ward :smile: I also took part in widening participation programmes related to nursing, and oh: taster days! With mock lectures; those were cool too. I personally feel like I've done enough, now it's all about making sure my personal statement reflects upon that, as well as smashing my exams next summer.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it! And good luck with your upcoming years of university life :biggrin:

Hey! I am 22, I have my A levels already so I will be applying for nursing this year. Can I ask what uni you are thinking of applying too?
Original post by lilianna_m8
Hello, :banana:

I'm Liliana and I'm 17, soon to start my second year of A-levels. I study chemistry, biology and Spanish and I will be applying to adult nursing this autumn; therefore I created this thread so I could (hopefully) get to talk to students who are also thinking of applying not only to adult nursing but any other field within nursing :biggrin:

I have some questions for you lot:

- What A-levels/ BTEC course are you studying?
- What nursing field are you interesting in?
- Have you started writing your personal statement?
- How are you feeling about the last year of A-levels/ BTEC?
- A random fact about you?

It would be amazing if at least one person replied :pcguru:! I find it really difficult to find people interested in nursing, none of my friends are, and sometimes I just feel like having a nursing talk, LOL.

Thank you in advance,
Liliana :h:

ps: this is my first thread ever, don't leave me hanginggggg :frown:

Hi! I've also just started my 2nd year of A levels, I'm taking Chemistry, Maths and Psychology:smile: I'm interested in children's nursing and started writing my personal statement towards the end of July. During summer I tried to get a head start in my subjects because last year I fell behind a bit at the start, which kinda affected my learning later on. I just can't believe its our last year of school:afraid:

A random fact about me lolol well i just LOVE babies and children, which is why I'd like to do children's nursing:h:

I would really like to do children's nursing at Kings, but Surrey and Southampton are also on my list:cute: What universities are you thinking of applying to? Also have you done any work experience related to nursing?

I haven't came across many people my age who want to do nursing too, I'm glad this thread was created!:cheers:
Reply 5
d
Original post by hakunaXmatata
Hi! I've also just started my 2nd year of A levels, I'm taking Chemistry, Maths and Psychology:smile: I'm interested in children's nursing and started writing my personal statement towards the end of July. During summer I tried to get a head start in my subjects because last year I fell behind a bit at the start, which kinda affected my learning later on. I just can't believe its our last year of school:afraid:
A random fact about me lolol well i just LOVE babies and children, which is why I'd like to do children's nursing:h:
I would really like to do children's nursing at Kings, but Surrey and Southampton are also on my list:cute: What universities are you thinking of applying to? Also have you done any work experience related to nursing?
I haven't came across many people my age who want to do nursing too, I'm glad this thread was created!:cheers:

OMG!! I would really love to do nursing at kings too, it will be my first choice (fingers cross). I will be applying for adult nursing though. I wanna to move to London so my other options are City, Kingston and maybe Manchester and Salford.
About work experience, I shadowed a nurse at a nursing home for 2 days. I just hope that's enough though lol
Yeah, I heard that majority of student nurses are over 18 but don't worry you will be fine.
I have started my PS as well, have you finished it??
Original post by smiliyy
d OMG!! I would really love to do nursing at kings too, it will be my first choice (fingers cross). I will be applying for adult nursing though. I wanna to move to London so my other options are City, Kingston and maybe Manchester and Salford.
About work experience, I shadowed a nurse at a nursing home for 2 days. I just hope that's enough though lol
Yeah, I heard that majority of student nurses are over 18 but don't worry you will be fine.

Hey city is my second choice! I would also love to do nursing in Kings but unfortunately that's not an option.
I've posted here in the past, but as it's the start of a new academic year I thought I would come and say hello!

I am studying at the University of Nottingham, I'm starting my final year of mental health nursing and I'm happy to answer any questions relating to my course, the uni, nursing or mental health nursing in general. Please don't hesitate to message me or leave a question here. X
Reply 8
Original post by MiszShortee786
Hey city is my second choice! I would also love to do nursing in Kings but unfortunately that's not an option.

Great! Ohh why is it not an option? what other unis are you thinking of applying too?
Original post by smiliyy
d
OMG!! I would really love to do nursing at kings too, it will be my first choice (fingers cross). I will be applying for adult nursing though. I wanna to move to London so my other options are City, Kingston and maybe Manchester and Salford.

Omg finally someone else who wants to do nursing at Kings!:hello: It'll be my first choice too because it's in London, and I really like the university itself, fingers crossed! All the best:h:
That's good, I spent a week at a nursery and another week at a pharmacy, I'm hoping to shadow a nurse in the children's ward soon. I really want to attend a taster course but there aren't many available:frown: What made you chose adults nursing?
I haven't finished my personal statement just yet, have you? I'm hoping I can finish it by the end of this month!
Reply 10
Original post by KittyAnneR
I've posted here in the past, but as it's the start of a new academic year I thought I would come and say hello!

I am studying at the University of Nottingham, I'm starting my final year of mental health nursing and I'm happy to answer any questions relating to my course, the uni, nursing or mental health nursing in general. Please don't hesitate to message me or leave a question here. X

Hey, thank you!
can you give us tips on what should be included in our personal statement, how to prepare for the interview, what to expect and especially how to concur the numeracy and literacy test, please?
Original post by KittyAnneR

Hi, I'm applying for children's nursing 2018:smile: What made you choose mental nursing and what does the role of a mental health nurse generally involve? What kind of tasks do they allow you to do during placements? Also, do you find the workload manageable?
Original post by smiliyy
Great! Ohh why is it not an option? what other unis are you thinking of applying too?

Because distance is too far. :/ My other unis are middlesex and city how about you?
Reply 13
Original post by hakunaXmatata
Omg finally someone else who wants to do nursing at Kings!:hello: It'll be my first choice too because it's in London, and I really like the university itself, fingers crossed! All the best:h:
That's good, I spent a week at a nursery and another week at a pharmacy, I'm hoping to shadow a nurse in the children's ward soon. I really want to attend a taster course but there aren't many available:frown: What made you chose adults nursing?
I haven't finished my personal statement just yet, have you? I'm hoping I can finish it by the end of this month!

Yeah, it's nice to meet you, hopefully, we will be studying nursing at kings together soon! Ohh have you been to open day at kings?
That's great, having varied experience is highly favoured.
I have always wanted to work within the NHS and after much consideration, i think I am better suited to adult nursing than children and mental.
Not yet but I should finish very soon.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Because distance is too far. :/ My other unis are middlesex and city how about you?

ohh right, are you planning to stay at home? aswell as kings and city i am also thinking of manchester, salford and DMU
Hi, I'm applying for children's nursing 2018😬 I'm 24, mum of 2 and starting my access course in 2 weeks! As far as experience goes I have worked in a nursing home for the elderly, I have been an apprentice in a nursery and I have volunteered at my local hospital on transistional care unit (maternity). Also my son was born with congenital heart defect and underwent OHS when he was just seven days old! So I have spent a lot of time in NICU, PICU and children's cardiac wards. My son was treated at Southampton general and if it wasn't for family commitments I would of loved to study at Southampton. I will therefore be applying to Plymouth only.
As for my personal statement I am on my 3rd draft and finally got it down to word count, but still needs a lot of work! Let's hope we all get a place at uni for 2018 🙌
Original post by smiliyy
ohh right, are you planning to stay at home? aswell as kings and city i am also thinking of manchester, salford and DMU

Yes I'll be staying at home. DMU is a great uni but don't they require the higher grades? I know middlesex requires at least a DDM.
Reply 17
Yes I'll be staying at home. DMU is a great uni but don't they require the higher grades? I know middlesex requires at least a DDM.

No, they are one of the unis that required low grade, they need at least 2 Cs at A level and DMM at BTEC. I am not trying to be cocky but I have AAB so I think I will be fine
Reply 18
Original post by LaurMitchxx
Hi, I'm applying for children's nursing 2018😬 I'm 24, mum of 2 and starting my access course in 2 weeks! As far as experience goes I have worked in a nursing home for the elderly, I have been an apprentice in a nursery and I have volunteered at my local hospital on transistional care unit (maternity). Also my son was born with congenital heart defect and underwent OHS when he was just seven days old! So I have spent a lot of time in NICU, PICU and children's cardiac wards. My son was treated at Southampton general and if it wasn't for family commitments I would of loved to study at Southampton. I will therefore be applying to Plymouth only.
As for my personal statement I am on my 3rd draft and finally got it down to word count, but still needs a lot of work! Let's hope we all get a place at uni for 2018 🙌

Hey!
Good luck and yeah hopefully we will all get a place!:smile:
Original post by smiliyy
Hey, thank you!
can you give us tips on what should be included in our personal statement, how to prepare for the interview, what to expect and especially how to concur the numeracy and literacy test, please?

Personal statement: What universities want to see in a nursing personal statement is your experience and your values. If you have experiences of working with people in any caring role (whether that’s paid or voluntary) mention this. Even if you have never worked in a caring role, or if you’ve only ever been in education, talk about the skills you do have and say how they TRANSFER to nursing. For example, if you’ve had a friend who lost their grandma and you supported them through it. Talk about how you supported your friend and what skills you used (compassion, empathy, communication) and why we use those skills in nursing practice. Try not to be too descriptive- show that you understand the role of an adult/mental health/child/learning disability nurse and that you are passionate about it by backing up everything with a personal example.

Interview: This will be different at every university as they are all looking for different attributes in their students. As I’ve stated above, just make sure you understand what being a nurse in your chosen field is about. Prepare ONE or TWO examples of times that you’ve been caring/supportive. Smile and listen to those around you- show you are PASSIONATE about being a nurse. It will also help to look at recent media stories about the NHS and the nursing profession, be up to date on the politics surrounding us.

Literacy and numeracy: GCSE Bitesize is very useful! The level of literacy and numeracy they want from you at this stage is not high. They just want to know that you can do basic addition, subtraction, fractions and ratios as well as read and write adequately. DO NOT STRESS!

Quick Reply

Latest