Can you transfer from a degree to a foundation year in the first week of university? Watch

mnak
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was just wondering can somebody whcoh believes they might not be good enough for a degree allowed to transfer from there course to a foundation year course after they have enrolled and everything.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mnak)
I was just wondering can somebody whcoh believes they might not be good enough for a degree allowed to transfer from there course to a foundation year course after they have enrolled and everything.
If the foundation course had spaces, this might be possible - but it's up to the uni. Some foundation years have specific requirements (such as students with incorrect subjects) and so someone who "believes they might not be good enough" might not qualify. But the uni wouldn't have awarded them a place on the degree if the uni didn't feel they were good enough, so the student needs to evaluate what, exactly, their concerns are. A foundation year is an expensive way of making up for lack of confidence.
mnak
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
If the foundation course had spaces, this might be possible - but it's up to the uni. Some foundation years have specific requirements (such as students with incorrect subjects) and so someone who "believes they might not be good enough" might not qualify. But the uni wouldn't have awarded them a place on the degree if the uni didn't feel they were good enough, so the student needs to evaluate what, exactly, their concerns are. A foundation year is an expensive way of making up for lack of confidence.
no its not confidence issues.

Basically one of the A level I 100% need for this course, i did not achieve a high grade for and that just concerns me.

Like tell me, if a person is going to study Bsc in Biology and they got a C or D in A level Biology, do you think they could servive doing the degree, because i know for sure they wont.

The situation above is like mine a bit, i got a high C for the subject i wanted to study, and i know for sure it is not good enough.
LawlietOrMello
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What subject and what uni?

I would strongly advise you not to do it. If you made it onto the course, you should (in theory) be fine given you work hard enough.

A foundation year would be a waste of your money and time in your scenario.
chungyanho
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am sure you can.
I was studying mechanical enginnering in sunderland uni for year one. Then I directly transfer to swansea university for higher ranking. The bad thing is the sunderland uni was too easy compare to swansea. so I had to repeat year two again. But eventually I got my 2.1 and I am going to Loughborough for my master this year. Hope it helps lol
mnak
Rep:
?
(Original post by chungyanho)
I am sure you can.
I was studying mechanical enginnering in sunderland uni for year one. Then I directly transfer to swansea university for higher ranking. The bad thing is the sunderland uni was too easy compare to swansea. so I had to repeat year two again. But eventually I got my 2.1 and I am going to Loughborough for my master this year. Hope it helps lol
okay im asumming for you, that you did A level math. so what did you get in it
chungyanho
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mnak)
okay im asumming for you, that you did A level math. so what did you get in it
I had B in chinese, C in maths and E in physics. so I would never be able to get in swansea at the first place. but swanaea asked me to get 60 percent avaerage in year one which is easy coz sunderland was a joke.
mnak
Rep:
?
I had B in chinese, C in maths and E in physics. so I would never be able to get in swansea at the first place. but swanaea asked me to get 60 percent avaerage in year one which is easy coz sunderland was a joke.
that is inspirational man.
BTW how the f, did you transer from sunderland to swansea. did you the first year all over again or did you start in there second year
chungyanho
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I just emailed the university and they asked to see my modules then i sent it to them and they told me 60percent in year one is good enough for a direct transfer. but swansea year two was too hard so i repeated year two again in swansea.
mnak
Rep:
?
I just emailed the university and they asked to see my modules then i sent it to them and they told me 60percent in year one is good enough for a direct transfer. but swansea year two was too hard so i repeated year two again in swansea.
okay that makes sense.

its just amazing that you got an E in physics which is like the pinicle of engineering and still did okay at your university. thanks for the advice
chungyanho
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mnak)
okay that makes sense.

its just amazing that you got an E in physics which is like the pinicle of engineering and still did okay at your university. thanks for the advice
If you are hard working, you can possibility catch up even you did poorly in A level. Your grades only counts towards your degree when you are in year two. Simple term: In Year one, the uni will try to make sure people to arrive at the same standard so you relearn most materials. I hope this will help. Just be brave and email the universities you want to apply and ask is it possible for a transfer. University always wants some extra cash xD
mnak
Rep:
?
If you are hard working, you can possibility catch up even you did poorly in A level. Your grades only counts towards your degree when you are in year two. Simple term: In Year one, the uni will try to make sure people to arrive at the same standard so you relearn most materials. I hope this will help. Just be brave and email the universities you want to apply and ask is it possible for a transfer. University always wants some extra cash xD
I should try to catch up in the next week or two
Danny Dorito
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mnak)
just tagging in uni of surrey
University of Surrey
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mnak)
Hi mnak,

As someone else said, if you got onto the degree course in the first place then the uni must think that you're good enough to be on the programme. However, if you are really concerned that you might not be up to it, you could always ring the Admissions team at the university to see if they have any spaces on the foundation course.

It would be worth sharing your concerns with your course tutor when you begin lectures so that they can offer advice on how to improve. There might also be a team within the university (perhaps the Library) who offer workshops on how to manage time, how to structure essays and give tips on how to study most effectively, so be sure to check that out too!

Hope this helps and good luck at uni!

All the best,
Ashley
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?