Turn on thread page Beta

The Wonderful Benefits of Diversity watch

ReputationRep:
    ok, some people in this forum just dont get it

In every westren country, the caucasion people, the majority are stepping into retirement. Its happening in the U.S., canada, and europe. Now, the politicians have to make a tough choice, let in uneducated labourers to fill the gap, and risk the countries culture disapear, or face a economic depression. Its a tough one.

yes, many immigrants get caught up with gangs, and its proven, no doubt about it. Thye are forced to because the orginized crime makes them get involved.

Really, the westren world it taking a risk, i support france in its head scarf law, in that a westren country should intrigate the immigrants, and make them feel, british, french, ect. They shouldnt be building religous sites all over the place, because, they cant really be absorbed.

I am not racist, im anti multicultural, if immigrants remain to think of themselves as indian, pakistani, chineese, then watch british culture disapear.
    There is a british culture, i see it, but i see it disapearing. Canada has no culture, its a country without a identity, mainly because we let the flow of U.S. culture come in like a tidal wave. Id hate to see it happen to Britain, its culture in canada has no effect on the young people of today. Most senior citizens in canada have a lot of british culture in them, many orginizations such as Royal Canadain Legion, Monarchy league, empire club, are disapearing, because no young people are filling the spots.

The U.S. is having a problem with 10 million illegal central american immigrants, but most of them embrace american culture, but bring a lot of poverty and crime.

I think immigrants should be carefully looked at before they enter the country, education, background, and maby 20,000 a year should be accepted. This would let the immigrants of strong cultural backgrounds be absorbed. They should feel like they are "british" not indian, african or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    I am not racist, im anti multicultural.
    But isn't your being making Canada multicultural because of your ancestory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    But isn't your being making Canada multicultural because of your ancestory?
    well, before the 60's canada was mainly made up of British ancestory and french ancestory, now these 2 cultures fought each other. French canadian culture is pretty strong, hell they want to break away from canada, and they just might in 2 years.

Its very difficult to have a multicultural society feeling nationalist. America, is the only nation i can think of that can fight under one flag and feel american.

ReputationRep:
    Its very difficult to have a multicultural society feeling nationalist. America, is the only nation i can think of that can fight under one flag and feel american.
    What about South America or the Republic of South Africa?

ReputationRep:
    canuck - not all immigrants are 'uneducated', criminals or simply interested in 'building religous sites all over the place'. Immigrants move countries to work, to start better lives and in extreme cases escape persecution - shouldn't we welcome them and their cultures? I think this *idea* that they cannot integrate gets so deeply embedded in everyone's minds that it becomes a *reality*.

May I ask why you're 'anti-multicultural'? (Very cool description by the way - very PC!) What's wrong with embracing different cultures and having a more cosmopolitan society? I think its more of a development than a dilution of Britishness.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose Britain could promote its own culture and identity similar to Ireland but much stronger.

ReputationRep:
    you cant have A British culture and a multicultural society, its not possible

The british people must make the choice, have the country become multicultural, and face a disapearing british culture on its historical site, or become multicultural and let people believe, and celebrate whatever they want.

I believe a strong united culture makes a strong nation, multicultural nations (exluding the U.S.) have problems feeling patrotic, as many recient immigrants feel close with thier original country, thus, they do not feel british, they think they are muslim, or whatever. I would absolutly hate to see British cities become full of immigrants and watch all the old, pubs and shops close down (a sign of disapearing culture). Its happening in vancouver right now, so many chineese people there that its called honcouver, no such thing as china town anymore, because it exist all over the city. All the tradional shops vancouver had, such as chocolate chops, first nations art, bakeries, butcher shops, all gone. They have been replaced mostly by herb shops, chineese restaurants, super markets, ect. All the 50 to 100 year old bussiness are gone, and those shops represent a disapearing culture and a emergence of another. Its too bad, but what do you do.

ReputationRep:
    But Britain has been intra-multicultural itself by virtue of the nations of the United Kingdom and its history.

If people of Britain are so worried about multiculturalism they could do away with Christianity since that was once a foreign religion.

ReputationRep:
    What about South America or the Republic of South Africa?

dont get me going on south africa, christ, the countries gone to hell

ReputationRep:
    dont get me going on south africa, christ, the countries gone to hell
    Okay what about South America? I suppose you could say immigrants practically destroyed the culture there due to Spanish and Portugese travellers. However, that was then and this is now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chica)
    May I ask why you're 'anti-multicultural'? (Very cool description by the way - very PC!) What's wrong with embracing different cultures and having a more cosmopolitan society? I think its more of a development than a dilution of Britishness.
    The concept of Multiculturalism is flawed and does not work.

http://www.obv.org.uk/reports/2004/rpt20040407a.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    The concept of Multiculturalism is flawed and does not work.

http://www.obv.org.uk/reports/2004/rpt20040407a.htm
    How did you reach to such a conclusion? On the basis of the source above alone?

The United Kingdom itself has different cultures if you look at individual nations.

ReputationRep:
    How did you reach to such a conclusion? On the basis of the source above alone?

The United Kingdom itself has different cultures if you look at individual nations.
    I heard extracts from a speech given by Trevor Phillips the head of the Commission for Racial Equality and i agree with him, multiculturalism suggests separateness.

ReputationRep:
    Right people, I think it's time we all put our heads together and came up with a new word. But first, some other points:

1) Blimey canuck, you ain't just conservative, you're preservative! Why not just stick the country in a big bottle of vinegar to make sure that nothing ever changes? OPEN YOUR EYES! Culture flows. It's made up of people and people change, culture just reflects their desires, their needs, and their fears. These constantly change, the only way you're going to stop this is by locking everyone up in their houses and not letting them out. Frankly, you might as well be a 19th century aristocrat in Britain bemoning the rise of democracy. This was afterall, a cultural change as much as anything else.

2) Politics is a process, and it is a very important one (this is a new point, not a response to an old one). Through politics people meet in a formal arena to discuss what they or their constituents want. Through politics, agreements are made whilst avoiding conflict, much pain, and unneccesisary deaths. Why is this important? Because politics is how a multicultural society has to work. Through politics different communities come together and have the oppotunity to reslove issues. Through politics, people change things. You cannot keep things the same.

3) Part of the problem of defining a British culture comes from it being made up of lots of cultures. We'll just ignore immigration for a moment, and talk about the differences between the open, friendsly people of Orkney, the gruffer, more closed communities of the Western Isles, the low aspirational culture of ex mining communities, and the culture of pushing children further than they want to go that all to often surfaces in Oxford and Cambridge. There is no singular British culture, there never could be, all people are different. The idea that somehow we can preserve a single culture falls disturbingly easily into the philosophies of totalitarian regimes. What's more, who's to say that it is your culture that will be protected by such a regime, who's to say that you won't be the target? Answer: I am to say. Because I say we need politics.

So now we come to the new word. There seems to have been some misunderstanding of what multiculturalism means. Does it mean segregated communities or different cultures who live together, work together, seek to understand and create a wider culture of happiness and peace that can contain all the systems and traditions of all the people all over the world. If this is our objective, then surely we don't need the radical seperatism that I can only see would cause more misunderstandings, more pain, more death. Perhaps we need a new word to seperate these understandings of multiculturalism. Perhaps even a whole phrase. And perhaps that phrase could be 'peace through friendship'.

ReputationRep:
    I heard extracts from a speech given by Trevor Phillips the head of the Commission for Racial Equality and i agree with him, multiculturalism suggests separateness.
    It depends how you go about doing it. Look at Ireland's history.

Also not heard of the Ousely Report?

ReputationRep:
    Separatism suggests separateness. Multiculturalism, on the other hand, suggests that there are many different cultures in one society. Phillips is just a man with opinions like you and me - don't take what he says as the law on race relations.

ReputationRep:
    Hell shannonjacobs, when someone says something you disagree with do you stick your fingers in your ears and go "lalala"? Or do you just smack them one in the mouth?

Your argument is flawed, you cite statistics when it suits yu and make sweeping generalisations when it doesn't, and when anyone makes a relevant point you disagree with you say "I don't care" :rolleyes: .

I'm glad it's people like you voting BNP because it shows they really will never get anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazza_CPFC)
    Hell shannonjacobs, when someone says something you disagree with do you stick your fingers in your ears and go "lalala"? Or do you just smack them one in the mouth?

Your argument is flawed, you cite statistics when it suits yu and make sweeping generalisations when it doesn't, and when anyone makes a relevant point you disagree with you say "I don't care" :rolleyes: .

I'm glad it's people like you voting BNP because it shows they really will never get anywhere.
    Oh God no, no, no. Beaware because I anticipate a verbal attack on you. That is what happened to everybody who disagreed so far.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.