waguma g
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hey to every one. Who can clearly describe the Krebs cycle to me.Thanks.
Lapis.Lazuli
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Krebs cycle occurs in the matrix of the mitochondria. It's a series of oxidation-reduction reactions.
The cycle happens once for every pyruvate molecule (3 Carbons) so a glucose molecule (6 Carbons) results in 2 cycles.

1. Citrate synthase catalyses the reaction of Acetyl CoA (2C) with oxaloacetate (4C) to form citrate (citric acid - 6C)
During step one, Coenzyme A breaks off to be used in the link reaction again
2. Decarboxylation: the citrate (6C) is converted to a 5C molecule so CO2 is given off
and Dehydrogenation: hydrogen is removed and used to reduce NAD. The product is a 5C molecule
3. The 5C molecule undergoes decarboxylation and dehydrogenation resulting in a 4C molecule. This time, one molecule of reduced FAD and two molecules of reduced NAD are created from a series of intermediate reactions converting the 5C to 4C.
4. ATP is produced from direct transfer of a phosphate group from an intermediate compound to ADP during step four. This is called substrate-level phosphorylation.
The resulting 4C compound is oxaloacetate so the cycle continues in the same way, creating reduced coenzymes and ATP.

Total products from Krebs cycle:
1 coenzyme A
oxaloacetate
2 CO2
1 ATP
3 reduced NAD
1 reduced FAD
waguma g
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thxs so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads