The Student Room Group

Extended BTEC engineering or science + required A level

Posting on behalf of my daughter, who is away at present.

She is interested in an engineering BTEC, but looking at uni entry requirements a lot of them seem to want the extended diploma (supposed to be worth 3 A levels) and then A level maths as well. The problem is, none of the colleges around here will let her take the extended diploma plus an A level as they all say the BTEC is worth 3 Levels.

The same is true for the extended diploma in Applied Science - lots of science courses at uni want this plus a science A level. Has anyone else found this is a problem? It feels like unis are saying that they will take a BTEC but in reality they won't if they also want an A level which colleges won't let you take.
Yes! My sister is having similar problems. She is doing the national extended btec diploma (I think that's what it's called) and is about to go into her second year. When she applied to college last year no colleges were allowing her to take chemistry A-Level with it. My sister and I have both been checking university websites for the past few weeks and all of the entry requirements (for pharmacy, optometry, etc) require an A-Level alongside. The only courses which don't require an A-Level are ones with a foundation year. We're hoping the universities will change their entry requirements as now most Btecs require examinations (the changes to btec started in 2016 academic year) so she'll be part of the first year applying to university with the reformed btec qualification.
Just tagged a few universities :smile:
Original post by 2childmum

She is interested in an engineering BTEC, but looking at uni entry requirements a lot of them seem to want the extended diploma (supposed to be worth 3 A levels) and then A level maths as well. The problem is, none of the colleges around here will let her take the extended diploma plus an A level as they all say the BTEC is worth 3 Levels.

The same is true for the extended diploma in Applied Science - lots of science courses at uni want this plus a science A level. Has anyone else found this is a problem? It feels like unis are saying that they will take a BTEC but in reality they won't if they also want an A level which colleges won't let you take.

Hi There,

I hope I can help!

We offer a few Engineering courses and they have varied entry requirements. Do you know which course your daughter would like to study in the future?

Maq :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by University of Bradford
Hi There,

I hope I can help!

We offer a few Engineering courses and they have varied entry requirements. Do you know which course your daughter would like to study in the future?

Hi there, my sister is having similar problems. She is doing the national extended btec diploma (I think that's what it's called) and is about to go into her second year. When she applied to college last year no colleges were allowing her to take chemistry A-Level with it. My sister and I have both been checking university websites for the past few weeks and all of the entry requirements (for pharmacy, optometry, etc) require an A-Level alongside. The only courses which don't require an A-Level are ones with a foundation year. We're hoping the universities will change their entry requirements as now most Btecs require examinations (the changes to btec started in 2016 academic year) so she'll be part of the first year applying to university with the reformed btec qualification.
Original post by confused9989
Hi there, my sister is having similar problems. She is doing the national extended btec diploma (I think that's what it's called) and is about to go into her second year. When she applied to college last year no colleges were allowing her to take chemistry A-Level with it. My sister and I have both been checking university websites for the past few weeks and all of the entry requirements (for pharmacy, optometry, etc) require an A-Level alongside. The only courses which don't require an A-Level are ones with a foundation year. We're hoping the universities will change their entry requirements as now most Btecs require examinations (the changes to btec started in 2016 academic year) so she'll be part of the first year applying to university with the reformed btec qualification.

Hi,

All university entry requirements are subject to change, and the best place to find changes to entry requirements are on our websites.

I would recommend looking at entry requirements closer to the time of applying as this will give you a true picture of what universities expect you to have.

This is fairly common, yes. And I agree - essentially the uni is saying that the BTEC isn't sufficient - and in terms of mathematical content, this is generally true. In all honesty, someone with mathematical content to only BTEC level would really struggle with engineering, hence the requirement for further evidence of mathematical ability.
Reply 7
My daughter isn't certain what she wants to study - thinking about biomedical engineering at the moment. Do universities not realise that schools/colleges won't allow students to take an A level alongside the extended BTEC? DD hasn't started a course yet, so I'm glad she has discovered this now, but lots of students are told they can go to uni with BTECs when they start them, only to discover once it is too late that they can't, as confused9989's sister is finding,

It would be better if the unis decide that a BTEC is not enough and say so up front. I can understand that there wouldn't be enough maths content in a BTEC, but at they moment they are asking for 4 A levels worth of qualifications. Or maybe the BTEC needs to change to include enough maths, especially as maths is so vital for engineering. Schools/colleges really should make it clear that a BTEC on it's own won't be good enough for uni.
I had exactly the same problem and ended up trying to do the a-level maths independently in my second year before giving up due to not having left myself enough time. I still managed to get into a russell group uni without the a-level maths and found that unis outside of the top ten for engineering will accept the extended diploma by it's self as long as you achieve distinctions.
Reply 9

This is because Engineering obviously heavily relies on having a good grasp of Mathematics, you should also find some top unis also state that if the Engineering BTEC includes both the Maths for Engineering modules (4 and 28 I believe) then that is acceptable instead if Maths A level. Same applies with Applied Science if you want to do say Chemistry at uni then Chemistry A level is required, but again, some will say for example 'X amount of chemistry based units acceptable in lieu of A level Chemistry'

I did a computing BTEC and when I applied for my Computer Science degree they wanted for A levels either Maths, Physics or Computing or for BTEC at least 6 programming based or approved BTEC computing units which luckily I did most of.

Worth looking around at top unis if the BTEC Engineering course includes those 2 Maths modules, I made a list of the best unis which accept BTEC Engineering on its own a while ago, I will look for it later and send it to you
Reply 10
That would be useful thank you. I haven't seen any unis that will accept certain modules instead of an A level, so that will be worth looking out for. I have seen them ask for specific modules, but schools seem to just offer certain modules so if they are not the correct ones that's tough!
Reply 11
That would be useful thank you. I haven't seen any unis that will accept certain modules instead of an A level, so that will be worth looking out for. I have seen them ask for specific modules, but schools seem to just offer certain modules so if they are not the correct ones that's tough!

Hi, sorry I've been really busy so haven't put the list together yet, it is quite common I believe for a uni to accept the Maths and Further Maths for Engineering modules instead of Maths A level, check out UCL's Engineering degree, obviously they're one of the top unis in the UK and they state those 2 BTEC modules

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/engineering-mechanical-beng/
Hi there, I just this ear completed a level 3 extended diploma in Engineering (without an A level). I achieved D*D*D* (including distinctions in maths for technician s and further maths). I personally have found for the majority of university's courses, this grade was actually overkill and they will take something in the region of DDM. From my experience it is only really the top 10 or so who specifically require A level maths alongside it.

If you want to get in to one of these top universities, then you will need to find a way of achieving your A in A level maths, however if you don't mind going to a uni outside of this ranking, then a good grade in the level 3 extended diploma will be fine.

When applying for unis I got 4 of my 5 choices (Liverpool, Newcastle, Sussex and UWE), however Manchester (ranking high for the subject I chose) required an A level maths test at their uni before they would accept me. And this was using my predicted grades, which are lower than what I got.

My best advice for any apprenticeship or uni applications (apprenticeship especially) would be to do some form of work experience out side of academic time, as they seem to value that very highly (i workers part time at a marine engineering company and did various work experience weeks with BAE)

Hope this helps,
Liam
Reply 13

Hi,

2021 and I'm also asking the same question. All uni's mention extended diploma plus A'level maths which together equates to 4 A'levels. All colleges/ 6th forms I know don't let you do this. Plus it's more than required.
I'm not sure if I should just do extended diploma in engineering and skip maths A'level. Or go for the diploma equivalent to 2 A'level with maths' A'level which would add up to 3 A'levels. But is that enough for university 🙄?

Please can you update what your daughter opted to do and where she is in her engineering journey.

?
Reply 14
What did you do in order to get 3 dstars, did you revise early on?

Latest