Which GCSE revision guides?

Watch
Effy..
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm about to start year 10 and would like to know which GCSE revision guides are the most useful/informative. The subjects that I'm taking are:
Biology (AQA)
Chemistry (iGCSE)
English Language (Edexcel)
English Literature (Edexcel)
Geography (AQA)
History (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Physics (iGCSE Edexcel)
Spanish (AQA)
All the GCSEs I am taking will be the new 9-1 grading GCSE I would appreciate any help in choosing revision guides and thank you in advance.

ID73645298
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For the sciences i suggest CGP , For maths use mathswatch and for english do past papers ( ones made up buy your teacher or specimen papers) i wouldnt really recommend revision guides for english
Effy..
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by mem123)
For the sciences i suggest CGP , For maths use mathswatch and for english do past papers ( ones made up buy your teacher or specimen papers) i wouldnt really recommend revision guides for english
Thank you so much. Also, are there any YouTube channel/websites that you would recommend for revision? And are the CGP complete revision and practice or the CGP shorter guides better?
ID73645298
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Effy..)
Thank you so much. Also, are there any YouTube channel/websites that you would recommend for revision? And are the CGP complete revision and practice or the CGP shorter guides better?
no problem
for english - MR BRUFF BEST REVISION TOOL
for maths - mathswatch or hegartymaths
for sciences - freegcsesciencelessons
Personally i just used the cgp revision guides for each seperate science so biology , physics and chemistry all seperate and they pretty much include the whole of the spec. I wouldnt recommend the practice personally because ( at least for the old spec) didnt focus on exam technique and questions. So maybe practice specimen papers or ask your teachers to make you practice ones.
K.C.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm about to start year 10 and would like to know which GCSE revision guides are the most useful/informative. The subjects that I'm taking are:
Biology (AQA)
Chemistry (iGCSE)
Geography (AQA)
History (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Physics (iGCSE Edexcel)
Spanish (AQA)
All the GCSEs I am taking will be the new 9-1 grading GCSE I would appreciate any help in choosing revision guides and thank you in advance.
Essentially, CGP everything, and your school may give out free ones if you ask.

English Language: REVISE EDEXCEL series of revision (guides, flashcards and workbooks) by Pearson.

Really you don't even need the guide (but it can be useful if you forget skills) just the workbook, in class you'll learn the skills then all your revision is practice of said skills and timings (especially for Paper 2), look on https://www.tes.com/, or teachit english for resources and go to exam board websites for their papers - but be careful to change the question style to fit Edexcel. Also try other schools' websites to find papers that they made and put on their website. Finally, read news articles from journalists who are writing with a certain view point or message (try articles from newspapers like The Guardian, not Daily Mail for example), and create your own evaluation questions, or analysis (because on P2 there's no specific focus for analysis but to interest and engage); this can be done for fiction too, but analysis has a specific focus.

English Literature: I recommend the York Notes books for each text. They don't have anything for Edexcel poetry unfortunately (neither does CGP)
K.C.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For Maths, because past papers with the new problem solving focus are limited, I bought:

REVISE EDEXCEL GCSE MATHS: revision guide, workbook and Practice Papers Plus+
Pearson's own Maths Higher Problem Solving and Reasoning Books (Higher and Extension)
CGP workbook and exam practice workbook (this has three papers in). CGP also have a set of practice papers too.

[I know it's a lot of books]

Websites:

MyMaths
MathsWatch
MrBartonMaths
CorbettMaths
JustMaths
OnMaths
MathsGenie

And ask your teachers about Churchill Maths, they make some differently, on another level, hard maths papers, so your school might use them (but probably closer to year 11) for practice.
Quizlet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Biology (AQA)
Chemistry (iGCSE)
Geography (AQA)
History (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Physics (iGCSE Edexcel)
Spanish (AQA)
I agree with the others, CGP is amazing. Use Corbettmaths and Hegartymaths for maths, and FreeScienceLessons for science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (6)
66.67%
No (1)
11.11%
Not sure (2)
22.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed