The Student Room Group

4 alevels for an average student?

It's results day on Thursday and I'm predicting myself mostly Bs with a handfull of As (and a D in french). These grades are pretty average and with the changing alevels, most people are only doing 3.

The problem is that I want to take geography, biology, chemistry and maths. If I were to drop one it would be chemistry (predicted A at gcse) or maths (predicted 7 at gcse). I think I would enjoy chemistry more but I'm probably better at maths so idk what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AverageStudent47
It's results day on Thursday and I'm predicting myself mostly Bs with a handfull of As (and a D in french). These grades are pretty average and with the changing alevels, most people are only doing 3.

The problem is that I want to take geography, biology, chemistry and maths. If I were to drop one it would be chemistry (predicted A at gcse) or maths (predicted 7 at gcse). I think I would enjoy chemistry more but I'm probably better at maths so idk what to do.

Don't do 4.

The *only* time to do 4 is if you are doing Maths & Further Maths. And even then it's not required.

Get ABB (or better) not ABCD (or worse)...

If i were you i wouldn't take chemistry and do geography biology maths
It's just that Maths is more respected by universities but i guess that would depend on your course

Wait till you get your results mate
Original post by Doonesbury
Don't do 4.

The *only* time to do 4 is if you are doing Maths & Further Maths. And even then it's not required.

Get ABB (or better) not ABCD (or worse)...

Thanks you 😊 would you recommend I do chemistry or maths? I'm hoping to study biological sciences at university
Original post by HeadHoncho
Wait till you get your results mate

Will do 😂 I've probaby flopped maths anyway so at least that will make my decision easy
Probably not worth the extra hassle. I know many universities will only even take into consideration the first 3 and ignore the other.
Original post by Taran001
If i were you i wouldn't take chemistry and do geography biology maths
It's just that Maths is more respected by universities but i guess that would depend on your course

Thanks for your advice 😊 I want to do biological sciences at uni
Original post by VMD100
Probably not worth the extra hassle. I know many universities will only even take into consideration the first 3 and ignore the other.

Thank you 😊 I guess it's better to have higher grades than an extra, average grade
Reply 9
Thanks you 😊 would you recommend I do chemistry or maths? I'm hoping to study biological sciences at university

Check the entry requirements at some universities.

Maths is always a good shout, but only if you can get a decent grade in it. There's no point doing it and getting a C when you might get a B or A in something else.

But a 7 at GCSE would indicate a B or A is attainable in Maths...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Make sure you definitely 100% absolutely no doubt about it don't want to do medicine, because i didn't think i wanted to do it and was planning for a biomedical science course but took chemistry anyway and I'm so glad i did because now that i want to study medicine i can because i took chemistry.

But don't do 4. no point.
if your starting 6th form i would do four and by the end of the year, or before you will know if there is one you want to drop.
sorry to hijack this thread but I'm going into yr 13 and got two As in politics and classics (87 and 94% respectively). Should I keep both , therefore have 4 or should i just drop politics and then do 3.
Original post by Doonesbury
Check the entry requirements at some universities.

Maths is always a good shout, but only if you can get a decent grade in it. There's no point doing it and getting a C when you might get a B or A in something else.

But a 7 at GCSE would indicate a B or A is attainable in Maths...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive had a look and at most places it seems they ask for biology and another science so I guess it doesn't matter which one I do. I'll probably do maths (depending on my results) as there is quite a lot of gcse chemistry I never understood
Original post by cormacpaul
Make sure you definitely 100% absolutely no doubt about it don't want to do medicine, because i didn't think i wanted to do it and was planning for a biomedical science course but took chemistry anyway and I'm so glad i did because now that i want to study medicine i can because i took chemistry.

But don't do 4. no point.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to do medicine but I've changed my mind a lot recently so I guess I shouldnt cross it out
Will do 😂 I've probaby flopped maths anyway so at least that will make my decision easy

Honestly don't worry, I thought I flopped my a Levels badly, but I did alright. I'm sure you've smashed it
Reply 15
Original post by HarryScotchy
if your starting 6th form i would do four and by the end of the year, or before you will know if there is one you want to drop.
sorry to hijack this thread but I'm going into yr 13 and got two As in politics and classics (87 and 94% respectively). Should I keep both , therefore have 4 or should i just drop politics and then do 3.

If OPs school doesn't sit AS-levels and they drop a subject they will have nothing to show for it, meanwhile they might be distracting themselves from doing well in the other 3.

As for your own situation, you need to make that judgement. I'll say again 3 strong results are better than 4 not so strong.
Reply 16
I do 4 linear A levels (in English Lit, English Lang, History and Art) and also completed an EPQ. At GCSE I got average grades at 1A* 5A's and 4B's, but my whole decision to take 4 A levels really just came out of determination to push my academic limits. I'd say don't do 4 if you aren't determined and willing to put the effort in. That being said, I have made an improvement from GCSE to A level, with predicted A*AAA (and a additional A* in my EPQ). At the end of the day, if you enjoy your subjects then just take them, you can always drop your 4th one if you are struggling or just dislike it.

Does your school have the option for EPQ? If so I would highly recommend it, as for certain universities it drops the grade entry requirements if you get a certain grade in it :smile:
Original post by HarryScotchy

Only if you really need/want to. Otherwise not much point.

You could always start with four and then ask the school to drop if you find a subject too difficult for you.

You've got the same plan as me. I'm going into my second year of A Levels and I took Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Maths with the intention of going into Biological Sciences. I really recommend taking four subjects. My plan was to drop geography at the end of this year but it turns out A Level maths is awful, I came out with an E lol. If I hadn't taken four as levels I would've been screwed as I wouldn't have been able to reach the grades I need for uni. Worst case scenario if you take four AS levels and end up dropping a subject mid year.

Quick Reply

Latest