mumbum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
OK so you are fine if Reading was your first choice - guaranteed on campus accommodation. It was my sons second choice and he now finds himself trying to find accommodation on campus, using a website that keeps crashing and a telephone number that cannot be answered because the accommodation office is understandably too busy. The website says the exsting halls rooms will not be allocated on a first come first served basis - does anyone know how they are allocated ? so we find ourselves looking at the private halls off campus but we don't know if they are a good option. I can go through all the stress if I know that it will it all be ok in the end and the Accommodation Office will find my son a room with like minded students and he wont end up surounded by mature stusdents or group of very nice overseas students who all know each other. Any help or comments gratefully received!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mumbum)
OK so you are fine if Reading was your first choice - guaranteed on campus accommodation. It was my sons second choice and he now finds himself trying to find accommodation on campus, using a website that keeps crashing and a telephone number that cannot be answered because the accommodation office is understandably too busy. The website says the exsting halls rooms will not be allocated on a first come first served basis - does anyone know how they are allocated ? so we find ourselves looking at the private halls off campus but we don't know if they are a good option. I can go through all the stress if I know that it will it all be ok in the end and the Accommodation Office will find my son a room with like minded students and he wont end up surounded by mature stusdents or group of very nice overseas students who all know each other. Any help or comments gratefully received!
1. TBF lots of unis with limited accommodation only give the guarantee for firm choice students.
2. Ring them first thing tomorrow. It doesnt say the opening hours but 8:59 is when I would start.
3. Most students will not be in uni accommodation, just most of the Freshers.
4. It will all be ok because if there is no place you have to make the best of it. If accommodation can give you an idea of when you might find out, then you can make a choice as to whether to come down and look for private accommodation. Other students will be in the same boat and its even possible for them to group together and rent a place. More hassle, but possible. Sometimes unis put people searching in contact with each other.
5. You are worrying a bit too much and you need to be patient. Do ring them and see if they can give you an idea of how long and what chance then make your own mind up.
6. Alternative private plus if you visit or google then you can see what the letting agents have as well.

Fingers crossed it will all sort itself out.
https://student.spareroom.co.uk/flat...190&mode=list&
AmyAmy123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,Although I got into Reading on my first choice a few of my friends were there on their second choice or through clearing so didn't get offered halls straight away. One of my fiends found other first years in the same situation through Facebook and they rented a house together so that is one option. Another friend was put up in a hotel by the university until a space in halls became available (lots of places in halls come up from week 2/3 as people drop out)
UniofReading
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello

I know this is a tense time at the moment, I applied to Reading through early clearing and know how it feels. I don't know how the accommodation is allocated, but the accommodation office do the best they can to try and make sure there are rooms for as many people as possible. I did manage to get accommodation but I also had friends in first year who lived in private houses/halls and still had as good a first year.

The accommodation office also try and put a mix of people in halls, so they get a mix of genders, courses and nationalities. It may take a little while as well, as some people who have offers of accommodation may not accept it and then rooms become available. As the post above says, some students stay in temporary accommodation in the first few weeks before rooms become available in halls when people drop out or change university etc.

Many of my friends lived in UNITE student accommodation on Kendrick Road (or the Crown House ones) see the website: http://www.unitestudents.com/reading. They are only about 15 minutes off campus and just by the London Road campus (the campus for teaching and architecture) so still a great student experience.

There is also the option of renting in private houses with other students, you often see on the freshers page on facebook that students are posting that they need a housemate for their student house so there is also that option too!

I am currently in my 3rd year (placement year) here at Reading and am having the most amazing time, so I am glad that your son will be coming to Reading (I hope he loves it as much as I do!) It really is a community on the campus and there is always so much going on! The halls/accommodation that your son ends up in doesn't really matter, as long as he is comfortable and happy because there are lots of ways to meet other students. I lived in Bridges Townhouses (so a lovely, new modern halls) but didn't get on too well with my housemates but still managed to make fab friends through my course and through societies. So whatever happens, it will all work out!

Hope all this information helps and gives you some more options, but if you have anymore questions then please feel free to ask

Alice
Food Science Placement Student
mumbum
Rep:
?
thanks for your reassurance - apparently the website went absent for a time that meant the right options were not available - hence the stress.
All sorted now got to wait and see what is allocated and take it from there.

(Original post by UniofReading)
Hello

I know this is a tense time at the moment, I applied to Reading through early clearing and know how it feels. I don't know how the accommodation is allocated, but the accommodation office do the best they can to try and make sure there are rooms for as many people as possible. I did manage to get accommodation but I also had friends in first year who lived in private houses/halls and still had as good a first year.

The accommodation office also try and put a mix of people in halls, so they get a mix of genders, courses and nationalities. It may take a little while as well, as some people who have offers of accommodation may not accept it and then rooms become available. As the post above says, some students stay in temporary accommodation in the first few weeks before rooms become available in halls when people drop out or change university etc.

Many of my friends lived in UNITE student accommodation on Kendrick Road (or the Crown House ones) see the website: http://www.unitestudents.com/reading. They are only about 15 minutes off campus and just by the London Road campus (the campus for teaching and architecture) so still a great student experience.

There is also the option of renting in private houses with other students, you often see on the freshers page on facebook that students are posting that they need a housemate for their student house so there is also that option too!

I am currently in my 3rd year (placement year) here at Reading and am having the most amazing time, so I am glad that your son will be coming to Reading (I hope he loves it as much as I do!) It really is a community on the campus and there is always so much going on! The halls/accommodation that your son ends up in doesn't really matter, as long as he is comfortable and happy because there are lots of ways to meet other students. I lived in Bridges Townhouses (so a lovely, new modern halls) but didn't get on too well with my housemates but still managed to make fab friends through my course and through societies. So whatever happens, it will all work out!

Hope all this information helps and gives you some more options, but if you have anymore questions then please feel free to ask

Alice
UniofReading
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
thanks for your reassurance - apparently the website went absent for a time that meant the right options were not available - hence the stress.
All sorted now got to wait and see what is allocated and take it from there.
Glad it was all sorted and lets hope you get an accommodation offer soon!

Do ask if you have anymore questions!

Alice
mumbum
Rep:
?
Slightly stressed again - no accomodation offer - we cannot commute from Norwich so it is hotel time - Im assuming the hotel is subsidised for a finite period - what happens if still no halls? This was a second/ insurance choice so guessing everyone in clearing has to do the same?

(Original post by UniofReading)
Glad it was all sorted and lets hope you get an accommodation offer soon!

Do ask if you have anymore questions!

Alice
UniofReading
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Slightly stressed again - no accomodation offer - we cannot commute from Norwich so it is hotel time - Im assuming the hotel is subsidised for a finite period - what happens if still no halls? This was a second/ insurance choice so guessing everyone in clearing has to do the same?
Hello,

Sorry to hear you don't have any accommodation offer.

One thing to confirm, have you checked with the accommdation team that you are definitely on the waiting list for halls? If not do this by phoning them on 0118 378 4203.

Secondly, have you investigated either a private rented house or private halls? Examples of private halls include UNITE (I had friends that stayed here last year, it is lovely accommodation and they really enjoyed it), fresh student living, central studios reading, or Loddon Bridge accommodation. You often find people that need an extra housemate, for example if someone in their house has dropped out or found a placement elsewhere. These are often posted on the university freshers page on facebook.

For more information on other options of housing please look at the rusu housing page: https://www.rusu.co.uk/housing/

If, after staying in the hotel, there are still no spaces in halls then I imagine those in the hotel will all find a private rented house and move in together. I would check out some of the local estate agents: Walmsley, Space, Adams, Westgate etc. I don't know if the hotel is subsidised, I would e-mail the accommodation office or give them a ring to find out the information on this.

Hope all this helps, and if you need anything else clarifying then please just let us know!

Alice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.8%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.4%
Not great so far... (229)
35.45%
I want to drop out! (125)
19.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed