The Student Room Group

aqa gcse dt coursework

is anyone doing this and can lend a hand, struggling to put together my portfolio.
Which DT? Suppose its the same for all but if its Resistant Materials that makes it easier.
Original post by The_JoKeR
Which DT? Suppose its the same for all but if its Resistant Materials that makes it easier.

yes it resistant materials, could you please help?
Original post by C REMMINGTON
yes it resistant materials, could you please help?

Sure, PM me
Is there any chance you can help me??
Yes can i have some help with resistant materials as well please
Original post by niall1016
Yes can i have some help with resistant materials as well please

Hey you are better off making a new thread rather than bumping an old one :yes:
still, what particular aspects of RM do you need help with? :smile:
Original post by CoolCavy
Hey you are better off making a new thread rather than bumping an old one :yes:
still, what particular aspects of RM do you need help with? :smile:

My theme is Going the Zoo and my context is

β€œHow can products be used to encourage visitors to recycle during their visit to the zoo?”

I can’t think of any other suitable ways of solving this without creating a bin or an educational sign. I talked to my teachers and parents and they said considering the zoo is aimed towards children they're less likely to be wanting to read a sign.

So the only other thing I could think of was a bin with colours and facts, I considered having a bin where if you put something recyclable you'd get a token and a certain amount of tokens could give you special access to a "secret" play area because children require an immediate reward but, because I do resistant materials I can’t have motion sensors because they would overlap the other subject (Systems & Control) my finial product must be wood :frown:

I was wondering if you can think of any alternatives to this please,

sorry for the long post: D
Not going to lie that sounds like a really hard context... like you've said a bin is the obvious choice but if you can't involve systems and control then making it fun and interactive could be hard.

Can you use any electronics at all?

Some sort of sorting game might work maybe? With kids having to sort out recyclable materials from those which are not.

I'll keep thinking for you but it does seem to be a really hard brief. I can think of incentives to encourage kids to recycle but they're not really something which could be made as as physical product. The Zoo and recycling just seems to be an odd combination. Let me know how you get on though, following with interest!
My theme is Going the Zoo and my context is

β€œHow can products be used to encourage visitors to recycle during their visit to the zoo?”

I can’t think of any other suitable ways of solving this without creating a bin or an educational sign. I talked to my teachers and parents and they said considering the zoo is aimed towards children they're less likely to be wanting to read a sign.

So the only other thing I could think of was a bin with colours and facts, I considered having a bin where if you put something recyclable you'd get a token and a certain amount of tokens could give you special access to a "secret" play area because children require an immediate reward but, because I do resistant materials I can’t have motion sensors because they would overlap the other subject (Systems & Control) my finial product must be wood :frown:

I was wondering if you can think of any alternatives to this please,

sorry for the long post: D

Hey :smile: will have a think about this and see if i can figure out anything for you. A zoo theme gives you a lot to play with if you consider all the animals and nature around!
One thing that was on a past paper i did in PD once was this giraffe bin thing to encourage recycling, You put the rubbish in the head and the neck acted like a slide into a clear perspex box which made up the body. Obviously you will need to come up with something innovative and as original as possible but just some possible inspiration.
You could still have a product made of wood but maybe experiment with some different finishes? Paint (be careful with this cos it can look a bit tacky sometimes!), veneers, acrylic pieces stuck on with contact adhesive.
You could do something with a handle system or something the child could interact with but is still simple enough to make in a classroom?
Since it is for children i would just say be mindful of the size of it (the anthropometrics of children obviously differ to adults), make it as colourful and interactive as possible, make it safe and hygienic (no sharp corners or anything a child could hurt themselves on).
Hope this was somewhat useful?
Have a look around on pinterest for Zoo products :yes:
Original post by CoolCavy
Hey :smile: will have a think about this and see if i can figure out anything for you. A zoo theme gives you a lot to play with if you consider all the animals and nature around!
One thing that was on a past paper i did in PD once was this giraffe bin thing to encourage recycling, You put the rubbish in the head and the neck acted like a slide into a clear perspex box which made up the body. Obviously you will need to come up with something innovative and as original as possible but just some possible inspiration.
You could still have a product made of wood but maybe experiment with some different finishes? Paint (be careful with this cos it can look a bit tacky sometimes!), veneers, acrylic pieces stuck on with contact adhesive.
You could do something with a handle system or something the child could interact with but is still simple enough to make in a classroom?
Since it is for children i would just say be mindful of the size of it (the anthropometrics of children obviously differ to adults), make it as colourful and interactive as possible, make it safe and hygienic (no sharp corners or anything a child could hurt themselves on).
Hope this was somewhat useful?
Have a look around on pinterest for Zoo products :yes:

Thank you so much :smile:
the reason i asked is because for investigating existing products we were told to make sure each product is completely different. which was hard as there is not many retailers selling zoo bins and when i find a retailer selling them there is little to know information about the bin which made it hard to fill out product infomation.

would i be able to see what you did for existing products please?
Original post by MattHobbs2015
Not going to lie that sounds like a really hard context... like you've said a bin is the obvious choice but if you can't involve systems and control then making it fun and interactive could be hard.

Can you use any electronics at all?

Some sort of sorting game might work maybe? With kids having to sort out recyclable materials from those which are not.

I'll keep thinking for you but it does seem to be a really hard brief. I can think of incentives to encourage kids to recycle but they're not really something which could be made as as physical product. The Zoo and recycling just seems to be an odd combination. Let me know how you get on though, following with interest!

Thank you
I'll double check with my new teacher in september but i think the final product has to be wood i do think some kind of sorting game would work but i'm not sure how i'd iincentivise kids to actually take part instead of just getting their parent to just chick the rubbish in to any old compartment.
Thank you
I'll double check with my new teacher in september but i think the final product has to be wood i do think some kind of sorting game would work but i'm not sure how i'd iincentivise kids to actually take part instead of just getting their parent to just chick the rubbish in to any old compartment.

Yeah if you've got to make the kids do it it might not be the best solution, the bin idea mentioned above sounds good so might be worth checking that out
Yeah if you've got to make the kids do it it might not be the best solution, the bin idea mentioned above sounds good so might be worth checking that out[/

Have u already taken D
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah if you've got to make the kids do it it might not be the best solution, the bin idea mentioned above sounds good so might be worth checking that out[/

Have u already taken D

I took GCSE Resistant Materials and have just finished A Level Product Design
I took GCSE Resistant Materials and have just finished A Level Product Design

Would we be able to PM about your past GCSE Portfolio if I need more help please πŸ˜€
Would we be able to PM about your past GCSE Portfolio if I need more help please πŸ˜€

Of course! Just send me a message whenever you need
Of course! Just send me a message whenever you need

Thank you and cheers for the help

Quick Reply