The Student Room Group
Original post by jemv
Which university is better for History and for the overall reputation

I would suggest they have a similar reputation, ie very good. Check out the structure and modules offered to see if you prefer one or the other.

Note - Exeter's History degree at their Penryn campus is far inferior to the one taught at their main Exeter campus.
University 'reputation' is usually only in people's heads and doesnt mean much in the real world, despite what many school-leavers get told. It certainly has no real meaning when you are looking at two sensible Unis like Exeter vs. Notts.

No two History courses are the same. Look at the course descriptions for each Uni. Look at the optional units available in all years of the course and think about which you'd choose (and why). If you dont enjoy the course you are doing, it'll be a miserable 3 years - whatever Uni you are at.

Lots more advice about applying for History here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/History_Degree
i personally love the exeter course (EMPIRES!!!!) and it ranks very highly in the league tables - top 5. but league tables shouldn't be used to make a judgement on unis that are within the top 20. exeter entry is A*AA, nottingham AAA. also the structure is different.
Both are great universities for history. I applied to both but firmed Exeter as I thought it had the edge in terms of variety and is known to have one of the best history departments. I also preferred the location and the course structure but that's really down to personal choice. I'd say visit the open days to get a feel for the universities, talk to the tutors and student reps and choose which one you'd be happiest at.