The Student Room Group

Foreign language with nursing

Does anyone know any universities in the uk that let you do a foreign language with a nursing degree. I want to do a language because I want to be an aid worker.. but seems like no university does it :frown:
Original post by Tammyxo
Does anyone know any universities in the uk that let you do a foreign language with a nursing degree. I want to do a language because I want to be an aid worker.. but seems like no university does it :frown:

Not as part of your degree, perhaps, but most universities have language centres where you can learn languages in your own time. Find a university that has a good language centre / does evening courses in the language you want to learn.
as nursing/language i doubt it your course would have needed approval from the nmc. you dont need to do a uni course for basic communication. see if there is any night schools. dont let it mess up your nursing course.
Reply 3
Not sure about other universities, but the one I'm off to (City Uni) does offer free language courses to students.

However it would be in your own time and could increase an already heavy workload!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tammyxo

Unfortunately the nursing course is so demanding and has such high requirements for theory and placement hours that it is impossible to combine nursing with another subject.

There are plenty of evening classes (placement permitting) and online courses which may be suitable for you or you could always look for tutoring from a native speaker at university.

An aid worker and nurse are very different professions - I would really recommend having a think about your immediate and future career plans to decide if nursing is really for you.
Reply 5
Hello,

Have you considered going down the self study route? I did this for french alongside my Nursing degree. I intend on moving to France upon qualifying (December). I started out by using the following:

Assimil French with Ease: 30 minutes - one hour daily (i used LUCA'S method for this)
Assimil Using French
FSI French Levels 1-4
Watching french Youtubers/movies and documentaries (daily)
Shadowing
Listening to french music
Reading french novels (started out with the Harry Potter translation)
Grammar books/writing exercises

I recently passed the DELF B2 exam, which will enable me to practice in France. :biggrin: Not bad for 1.5 years of self-study. :smile:

Original post by Tammyxo
Do you mean that you want to be a nurse in a humanitarian setting?

I used to work for a humanitarian organisation (albeit not in any medical capacity) and you are right that you would greatly increase your chances of being employed if you spoke a second language, especially Arabic or French. However, the post-qualifying experience you have matters just as much, if not more - organisations like MSF tend to recruit healthcare staff with expertise in HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, tropical medicine, or psychological trauma. So have a think about how you will get the relevant experience.

If you're serious about a career in this sector, then there are some reasonably priced intensive language courses over in France, of varying lengths. You could defer your nursing place for a year and sign up to one, if you can afford it, or you could find a tutor/take evening courses during your nursing degree and then save up money towards more intensive language training once you're working as a nurse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending