Exam Stress
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm about to start a 2 year course on Web & Software development which is a level 3 BTEC. I have looked into university requirements to study Computer Science and a lot allow BTEC level 3 students to join but I was wondering if anyone else here has been in my position and successfully got into university because it seems students who studied A-levels would be given priority. Just want to make sure.
Saaqib786
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, they won't be given priority I did a BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering Level 3 and got accepted into university. No hassle straight in. If you have the grades nothing to worry about.
Ryanthom100
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Exam Stress)
I'm about to start a 2 year course on Web & Software development which is a level 3 BTEC. I have looked into university requirements to study Computer Science and a lot allow BTEC level 3 students to join but I was wondering if anyone else here has been in my position and successfully got into university because it seems students who studied A-levels would be given priority. Just want to make sure.
Ur fiiine bro unless u wanna go to a top university. I'm about to go into my second year doing a btec level 3 extended diploma in games/software development. Universities like Southampton say that u need to get the equivalent of wat a level people get, I think a Distinction, Distinction star, Distinction star is what u should try to aim for as that's equivalent to an A* A* A (I think).

WARNING!!! u can't go to top universities like imperial college, cambridge with a btec, they state don't there websites they don't accept anyone who has done a btec instead of a levels. If u wanna go to a certain university, explore there website to make sure they accept btec students!
Exam Stress
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Ryanthom100)
Ur fiiine bro unless u wanna go to a top university. I'm about to go into my second year doing a btec level 3 extended diploma in games/software development. Universities like Southampton say that u need to get the equivalent of wat a level people get, I think a Distinction, Distinction star, Distinction star is what u should try to aim for as that's equivalent to an A* A* A (I think).

WARNING!!! u can't go to top universities like imperial college, cambridge with a btec, they state don't there websites they don't accept anyone who has done a btec instead of a levels. If u wanna go to a certain university, explore there website to make sure they accept btec students!
Yeah I don't care about going to a top university, as long as I can learn plenty there and get a degree to help me with jobs it's fine for me, thanks for the info.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did the BTEC Level 3 and went to a good uni (top 30 for Comp Sci) and have just graduated, also I work as a software developer and am about to start my MSc next month at a top 10 uni for Comp Sci, also BTECs are statistically more employable than A levels for both graduates and non-graduates in technical / professional jobs, I havent struggled to gain employment through internships / placements whereas a lot of my friends on my course who did A levels have struggled also you get to do a placement as part of the BTEC in an IT based role, try and make the most of the opportunity and gain some relevant experience in software development and you will find getting placements and graduate roles a lot easier where most of your peers who will have studied A levels wont have any relevant experience on their CVs.

Hope this helps
computed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Exactly what Saaqib786 said. If they didn't let me in with my BTEC, I would be completely lost right now!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (368)
44.39%
No (87)
10.49%
I'm not old enough (374)
45.11%

Watched Threads