I'm trying to find a part-time job

Watch
blue_green
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm starting year 13 in a few weeks and need a flexible job that pays well - can pay for my monthly phone bill, can pay for driving lessons etc. that I can work alongside studying 3 A2 subjects and an EPQ. Does anyone know what stores I can hand my CV into? Or a good place I should apply to?

Thanks so much
Einsteinium*
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by blue_green)
I'm starting year 13 in a few weeks and need a flexible job that pays well - can pay for my monthly phone bill, can pay for driving lessons etc. that I can work alongside studying 3 A2 subjects and an EPQ. Does anyone know what stores I can hand my CV into? Or a good place I should apply to?

Thanks so much
Are there any Sports Direct stores near you? If so, I would definitely look up if they are interested in hiring people. They'll usually advertise on recruitment websites, so it's worth having a look. I got a job there when I was only 16, and now that I look back to it, I don't think many other places would have hired me considering the sort of work that I was doing (serving on the till at only 16). Maybe it's different for other people but I think it's quite difficult to find a business that is willing to let a 16 yr old operate the till in a major high street brand store, with hundreds of transactions leaning on you. So you might want to look there as they seem to be willing to recruit just about anyone. They also like to employ young people (i.e. uni undergrads, sixth formers, etc). I'm probably biased though.
Sophiegraceb
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Even for a saturday job its about who you know. I got a part time job as a receptionist in an estate agents via a family friend and before that had applied EVERYWHERE.
It's the good ol you need experience to get a job but a job to get experience catch 22 at work.

If you can get waitrose or John Lewis they pay well but i highly doubt a part time job will pay you enough to save up for a car and a mobile phone contract. Minimum wage for 16/17 year olds is only £4.05 an hour so for a car alone you'd be saving for ages (i should know because I'm currently trying and that's putting every penny i make aside).
blue_green
Rep:
?
(Original post by Einsteinium*)
Are there any Sports Direct stores near you? If so, I would definitely look up if they are interested in hiring people. They'll usually advertise on recruitment websites, so it's worth having a look. I got a job there when I was only 16, and now that I look back to it, I don't think many other places would have hired me considering the sort of work that I was doing (serving on the till at only 16). Maybe it's different for other people but I think it's quite difficult to find a business that is willing to let a 16 yr old operate the till in a major high street brand store, with hundreds of transactions leaning on you. So you might want to look there as they seem to be willing to recruit just about anyone. They also like to employ young people (i.e. uni undergrads, sixth formers, etc). I'm probably biased though.
I've repeated the year, I'm 18 years old turning 19 soon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nows a good time to apply to local supermarkets since their current employees will be off to uni or handing in their notice as summer ends, those tend to pay the best.

Screwfix has the best rate from what I’ve seen, seems like a manageable but quite boring job.
Einsteinium*
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've repeated the year, I'm 18 years old turning 19 soon
Yeah, what do you mean though?
blue_green
Rep:
?
(Original post by Einsteinium*)
Yeah, what do you mean though?

That maybe the pay rate might be higher?
Carpe Diem Jay
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Try a TK Maxx, they have flexible contracts and hire lots of uni/college/sixth form students
Sophiegraceb
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That maybe the pay rate might be higher?
It's still only £5.50ish so not a huge step up from £4.
blue_green
Rep:
?
What stores in Westfield White City could I try handing my CV into that would accept?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (137)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.51%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.33%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.36%
No - I live at home during term anyway (141)
29.31%

Watched Threads