Maaaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Sorry this is really long but I want to do either a PPE, Economics or Maths degree at Uni, hopefully at LSE, Oxford or another top Uni.

I've applied to 2 different sixth forms; the first being at my own school and the second being at a grammar school.

Initially, I made the same A Level choices for both: Maths Further Maths, Economics and Philosophy & Ethics. However, the second sixth form has since told me I cannot do both economics and philosophy&ethics as the classes will run at the same times, so I had to change one. I had learnt that a lot of LSE economics offer holders had done the A Level combo of maths, FM, economics and physics for some reason so I chose physics instead.

I'm basically wondering now which A Levels to go with because science has never been my good subject but I never had trouble with Physics specifically at GCSE (Biology and Chemistry killed me though). I know this may be different at A Level but physics seems fascinating too, even though it doesn't relate at all to my future ambitions.
Philosophy, on the other hand, not only would be useful if I choose the PPE route, but I feel would also help me personally to find deeper meaning and reduce my existential crises. It is also like physics a fascinating subject that would be fun to revise for, as well as somewhat respected. However, it is not a facilitating subject like Physics is so my A Level combo may be seen as weak.

I'm also aware that choosing between these subjects also forces me to choose between Sixth Forms. I can either continue studying in an environment that I'm used to at my current school or I can go to a more respected school that have had more successful Oxbridge applicants. I have thought about maybe doing Maths, FM and Economics at the second school, then commuting to my current school to do Philosophy&Ethics but I'm not sure if it'll be allowed by either sixth form, but I will ask on results day.
Maaaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
anyone?
memesherrif101
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you don't have any trouble with Physics and you think you can do well, go for it. But don't do subjects you won't enjoy, it'll kill you. I'd choose econ, everyone i know taking it seems to enjoy it and it'll be more relevant if you decide to just do pure econ in the end. You can easily get your philosophy fix from books
Bluerainy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I would go for physics 🤷*♀️
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Maaaths)
Sorry this is really long but I want to do either a PPE, Economics or Maths degree at Uni, hopefully at LSE, Oxford or another top Uni.

I've applied to 2 different sixth forms; the first being at my own school and the second being at a grammar school.

Initially, I made the same A Level choices for both: Maths Further Maths, Economics and Philosophy & Ethics. However, the second sixth form has since told me I cannot do both economics and philosophy&ethics as the classes will run at the same times, so I had to change one. I had learnt that a lot of LSE economics offer holders had done the A Level combo of maths, FM, economics and physics for some reason so I chose physics instead.

I'm basically wondering now which A Levels to go with because science has never been my good subject but I never had trouble with Physics specifically at GCSE (Biology and Chemistry killed me though). I know this may be different at A Level but physics seems fascinating too, even though it doesn't relate at all to my future ambitions.
Philosophy, on the other hand, not only would be useful if I choose the PPE route, but I feel would also help me personally to find deeper meaning and reduce my existential crises. It is also like physics a fascinating subject that would be fun to revise for, as well as somewhat respected. However, it is not a facilitating subject like Physics is so my A Level combo may be seen as weak.

I'm also aware that choosing between these subjects also forces me to choose between Sixth Forms. I can either continue studying in an environment that I'm used to at my current school or I can go to a more respected school that have had more successful Oxbridge applicants. I have thought about maybe doing Maths, FM and Economics at the second school, then commuting to my current school to do Philosophy&Ethics but I'm not sure if it'll be allowed by either sixth form, but I will ask on results day.
Doubt that your current school would allow you to study somewhere else but just do P&E there but by all means ask them. There's no need to wait for results day, just pop into the sixth form area after school one day and ask the head of sixth form (or even email them if that's easier).

I think either combo would be fine so do the one that appeals the most, which seems to be Philosophy based. And it's a big decision to move to a new school - if you are happy where you are it might be better to stay put rather than face the stress of the move but if you are unhappy in any way then worth the risk of moving somewhere new.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.07%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.51%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.22%
It might lead to more bullying (143)
38.86%
There's nothing they could do (108)
29.35%

Watched Threads

Latest