The Student Room Group

Is it worth completing past papers from other exam boards?

Hey guys, so I'm about to start Year 13 (A2) and have started revising last years work because my chemistry and biology are both linear.

I've been wondering, is it worth doing past papers from other exams boards? Will it improve my grade? Or is it a waste of time as different exams boards require you to know different things?

I'm just very interested in what people have to say and whether I should try it out. My previous biology teacher gave us past papers from AQA although we studied OCR Biology A, I never bothered to use anymore past papers from other exam boards outside the classroom.

Thank you :colondollar:
(edited 6 years ago)
i think its good to practise relevant qs...
Just be mindful of the topics which are in the paper.

I believe you can benefit from it as it gives you a different aspect of the topic in which the question is based upon; it may even strengthen your subject knowledge. last year when i was doing AS, my tuiton teacher would give me a bunch of questions from different exam boards and it helped me alot.
Reply 3
Original post by AbelTesfaye_isMJ
Just be mindful of the topics which are in the paper.

I believe you can benefit from it as it gives you a different aspect of the topic in which the question is based upon; it may even strengthen your subject knowledge. last year when i was doing AS, my tuiton teacher would give me a bunch of questions from different exam boards and it helped me alot.

Thank you for replying I definitely think I’m gonna try it. Also loving the username 😊
Original post by xchloeann
Thank you for replying I definitely think I’m gonna try it. Also loving the username 😊

Glad you noticed :biggrin:
Reply 5
Yes for the practice. Less so for the minutiae of the wording of the mark schemes.

Ask you teacher to mark them as if they were using your spec's MS, rather than the published MS.
Reply 6
Original post by Pigster
Yes for the practice. Less so for the minutiae of the wording of the mark schemes.

Ask you teacher to mark them as if they were using your spec's MS, rather than the published MS.

Yeah I understand, will ask my teachers to mark them

Quick Reply

Latest