The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Any mature student events during Fresher's Week/any other time?

I'm a mature EU/NZ student (nearly 22) starting my undergraduate degree and I was wondering if there are any events for mature students to mingle, etc.? I'll be arriving the weekend before Fresher's Week (9th/10th) but I haven't heard anything about mature student events..

Anyone else in the same boat as me? If there's no event but there are enough of us, we can always make our own!
Original post by ellora.virtue
I'm a mature EU/NZ student (nearly 22) starting my undergraduate degree and I was wondering if there are any events for mature students to mingle, etc.? I'll be arriving the weekend before Fresher's Week (9th/10th) but I haven't heard anything about mature student events..

Anyone else in the same boat as me? If there's no event but there are enough of us, we can always make our own!

You arent that old but contact

http://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/maturestudentsassociation/

Contact us

Mature Students Association
University of Glasgow
62 Oakfield Ave
Glasgow, G12 8LS
telephone: 0141 330 6845
email: [email protected]
Facebook: GU Mature Students Association

My tip is that you arent too old for the other events, but just like other freshers, then mature students will be just as social so organise things, meetups, drinks, food, trips etc and get a facebook going.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by ellora.virtue

There is usually a few mixers that should be on the freshers events listings.
https://freshersweek.glasgowstudent.net/events/

That said I am a fair bit older than you and I felt too young at some of the mature student things and found that I mix in fine on campus without any problems.

If you see anything that you like the look of- just go and try it out :smile: Everyone is friendly. (Especially if you have a kiwi accent- my other half is NZ too and it always get commented on when we are out ((in a nice way!!!)) )
Reply 3
I'm in the same boat as you!!!

Also as Friffinghell mentioned, a lot of the "mature" student events tend to be dominated by much older students (I know this because I actually started at the uni a few years ago but had to leave after a couple of months due to sickness so am going back to start this year, so I experienced it back then).

I think that the age group of mid 20's to mid 30's is quite tricky as I found that people were either much longer i.e. directly from school, or much older i.e. people with families who have decided to come to uni in their 40's and 50's.
Reply 4
https://freshersweek.glasgowstudent.net/events/calendar/

That's the official Fresher's week calendar! It's worth noting though that you're really not that old-one of the people I lived with in first year was 27 and he went to all of the same events as us and no one batted an eyelid! A lot of the mature students events will have people who are significantly older than university age going which is worth bearing in mind. You might want to give both mature student events and standard freshers events a try just to see where you fit in best. Best of luck with your studies!
Did anyone else spot that Alyssa Edwards is coming for Glasgow Freshers?

I am so raging that this wasn't last year. *sigh*
Reply 6
Original post by Friffinghell
Did anyone else spot that Alyssa Edwards is coming for Glasgow Freshers?

I am so raging that this wasn't last year. *sigh*

I did! I'm a SRC helper this year so I'm hoping we can get in with our passes!
I'm in the same boat. Just turned 23 today.

Quick Reply

Latest