The Student Room Group

Leicester medicine 2018 entry

Hi! Thought I'd start thread on this as I haven't seen one yet.
Post stats and just chat about Leicester.

My stats are
6A* 2A 1B
AS: AAAA
Predicted A Level: A*A*A*
I also already have completed a levels (but in the wrong subjects) and have A*AB in Theatre Studies, Maths and History.
My UKCAT average is 745 and band 1.
My points score is 59.5/64 would this be a good enough score to get an interview?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MollBritton98

My stats are
6A* 2A 1B
I also already have completed a levels (but in the wrong subjects) and have A*AB in Theatre Studies, Maths and History.
My points score is 59.5/64 would this be a good enough score to get an interview?

Your score looks good, but it's impossible to tell the calibre of student that will apply each year so there's never a guarantee! It's worth applying though.

What's the deal with your A-levels? Will you write about why you changed in your personal statement?
Original post by ax12
Your score looks good, but it's impossible to tell the calibre of student that will apply each year so there's never a guarantee! It's worth applying though.

What's the deal with your A-levels? Will you write about why you changed in your personal statement?

Basically always wanted to do medicine but never had the confidence that I could achieve the qualifications to get in, but like as I grew up I realised I could hopefully do it if I tried really hard. :smile:
Reply 3
Hey, I'm thinking about applying to Leicester!

Stats:
GCSE: 8A* 1A (English lang) 1B (Art)
AS: AA (Maths and Physics)
UKCAT: 717.5 SJT Band 3

My points score is 59.5/64.
Basically always wanted to do medicine but never had the confidence that I could achieve the qualifications to get in, but like as I grew up I realised I could hopefully do it if I tried really hard. :smile:

You have way more than enough to get in. AAA is all that is actually required for Leicester.
Original post by ugaaa5
You have way more than enough to get in. AAA is all that is actually required for Leicester.

Thank you!!
Hi! I'm hoping to apply to Leicester too but I'm yet to do my UKCAT so I'll see how that goes. :h:
Thank you!!

You're totally welcome :-) Don't worry about it.
Reply 8
What sort of UKCAT score do Leicester prefer does anyone know or can you apply with any score?
Original post by Riya99
What sort of UKCAT score do Leicester prefer does anyone know or can you apply with any score?

Pretty sure it depends on your other stats on there website there is a document which tells you how they would score your application
Reply 10

My stats are
6A* 2A 1B

Here's a post I put on last year's thread about 2018 entry before you started up this thread:

According to the Leicester Medical School website the cut off scores (out of 48) to get an interview last year were:

Home/EU Grad - 39.5
Home/EU non-grad with achieved A levels (eg: gap year) - 39.5
Home/EU non-grad predicted A levels (eg: school leaver) - 40.5
Overseas grad - 37.5
Overseas non-grad - 39.5

It's worth noting that you may see lower scores than this gaining interviews last year if people applied under the Access to Medicine special arrangements.

As the scoring system has changed since last year then the best indication you can get is by putting your stats into last year's scoring document to see how you score against above. Please note though that there were only 3 UKCAT tests scored last year rather than the normal four, so when you do the comparison you need to take your UKCAT average score and multiply by 3. The scoring document can be accessed here:

https://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/me...-document-2017

For example, if you are a school leaver, then last year 5 x A* and 3 x A at GCSE plus an average 650 at UKCAT would have achieved the cut off of 40.5. If you put that into this year's scoring then it gives a score of 55.

So to answer your question (in a long winded way), then if you're a school leaver applicant, then your stats this year would have comfortably gained an interview last year.

Using this process I correctly forecast last year's cut off of 40.5. Of course, it's possible for the cut off to change from year to year depending on the quality of candidates grades and whether UKCAT average is similar from year to year. UKCAT will publish interim score averages on 15 September which will indicate whether the scores have gone up or down since last year. Last year it didn't change by a significant amount. Even if they do change it's unlikely to make much difference to the entry score unless it's a large swing in scores.

Hope that helps
Hi guys, I'd reckon I'd score 53.5/64 , is this enough to get me an interview or not??
Reply 12
Original post by Luckycharm1
Hi guys, I'd reckon I'd score 53.5/64 , is this enough to get me an interview or not??

If you follow the instructions in my previous post it will tell you whether or not you would have got an interview last year. For example, school leaver applicants who scored 40.5 or more received an interview.

Nobody can tell you for sure whether you will get an interview this year, but the best indication is how close you were to the cut off score last year.
Original post by meddad
If you follow the instructions in my previous post it will tell you whether or not you would have got an interview last year. For example, school leaver applicants who scored 40.5 or more received an interview.

Nobody can tell you for sure whether you will get an interview this year, but the best indication is how close you were to the cut off score last year.

i would have scores 39.5 last year, so would they not even give me some consideration as i wasnt far off from 40.5?
I get a score of 58.5/64 but my UKCAT wasn't too high- 665. They don't really mind about that do they, as long as the GCSE's make up for it. Our school hasn't given us predicted grades yet though so need to wait for those
Reply 15
Original post by Luckycharm1
i would have scores 39.5 last year, so would they not even give me some consideration as i wasnt far off from 40.5?

If you're a regular school leaver applicant then you wouldn't have received an interview last year with 39.5. It is possible for the cut off to change year to year for a number of reasons, for example the number of applicants they decide to interview, and the strength of applicants' academic and UKCAT scores. All you can assume is that your application will be borderline for gaining an interview.

Whether you apply here may depend on what your strengths are in your overall application. For Leicester you need an overall strong score from a combination of GCSEs and UKCAT. The scoring for other Med Schools may favour very strong GCSEs, others interview purely based on UKCAT, while others have minimum GCSE/UKCAT requirements but favour candidates with a strong Personal statement.
Reply 16
Original post by Mazza2000
I get a score of 58.5/64 but my UKCAT wasn't too high- 665. They don't really mind about that do they, as long as the GCSE's make up for it. Our school hasn't given us predicted grades yet though so need to wait for those

That's right - your overall score of 58.5 is the only criteria used. It doesn't matter how you arrived at that score.
Reply 17
From last year's scoring system - I achieve a score of 41.5, barely above the cut-off :s-smilie:. From this year's scoring I have a score of 56/64.
I'm really not sure whether to risk Leicester - (it's between Leicester and Birmingham to fill the last medical school place) and I'd love to go to either.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question - so did all candidates last year who scored the cut-off/above the cut off receive an interview?
Reply 18
Original post by Jem +
From last year's scoring system - I achieve a score of 41.5, barely above the cut-off :s-smilie:. From this year's scoring I have a score of 56/64.
I'm really not sure whether to risk Leicester - (it's between Leicester and Birmingham to fill the last medical school place) and I'd love to go to either.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question - so did all candidates last year who scored the cut-off/above the cut off receive an interview?

Good question actually. The scores quoted are minimum scores and then there's a note:

"The score listed is the lowest score required to get an interview. Some of those achieving this score may have been in a borderline group who had their application assessed in a tie breaker situation therefore not all applicants achieving this score will have been invited to interview."

If you like Leicester/Birmingham equally then I guess it depends on how well you score on the B'Ham criteria, and therefore whether it's more certain.
Reply 19
Original post by meddad
Good question actually. The scores quoted are minimum scores and then there's a note:

"The score listed is the lowest score required to get an interview. Some of those achieving this score may have been in a borderline group who had their application assessed in a tie breaker situation therefore not all applicants achieving this score will have been invited to interview."

If you like Leicester/Birmingham equally then I guess it depends on how well you score on the B'Ham criteria, and therefore whether it's more certain.

I see. Thanks for your help!
I score 7.16 with the B'Ham scoring system. According to the website, they advise a score of 7 for an interview. The offer/interview calculator states that I would be "likely considered for interview." I've read somewhere on TSR that 80% of candidates score 8 and above. Past cut-offs have been as a low as 6.17 however.

So, not certain at all!

Latest