The Student Room Group

Fresher Life: Chapter 1 Granny Knickers

Chapter 1:
Hey it's me. 💁. As you will realise I'm soon to be a fresher in the land of Jack Wills and the Middle Class 🥑. Yes I'm excited and yes I'm self absorbed enough to be starting a blog about uni life. So original I know. I apologise in advance for my poor grammar and punctuation. But **** the haters. Don't know why i'm doing this, wouldn't consider myself 'writer' or anything, but why not.

So here's a bit about me, like most, I'm a serial Netflix watcher, cheese eater, very occasional runner and basically just the average slightly awkward slob that stumbles through life. Things might get personal, I'm just going to write about the random string of embarrassing events which is my life, you might find it relatable or you might just be like WAT? nope.

This week I've been throwing out my old pyjamas and holy 🙏🏻 granny knickers. RIP. That **** is gonneeee. Took a trip to M&S #classic and bought some bangin' linguine.🍝 LINGERIE oh myyyy didn't even notice that mistake for ages.👏👏👏👏
Wish I could strut my stuff wearing linguine. Real sexy.
Anyway, moving on, thanks to mum and the temple which is IKEA 🙌 I got normal things, pans and ****. Like i'll be cooking. ha. But it makes the parents happy .But I still don't have a freaking can opener, its the one thing I forget every damn time.I need it for dem beans.
I didn't realise how much crap I needed, like its fun and everything but why can't I just rock up with snacks, toilet roll and a charger wearing my trackies as lets face it, thats all i'm going to need.
Buutttt, I say all this but I will conform. I'll be there stringing my fairy lights around my room and blue tacking pics on my walls (so everyone believes I have friends :wink: lol) I'll have new sheets and a dressing gown. Towels, pillows and stationary galore. Literally the car will be rammed with the entire stock of Dunelm and Ikea, coz you know, just in case.

Anyway, I need to track down a decent can opener.See ya.

Anon, who's nearly @Exeter
(xoxo Gossip Girl)
(edited 6 years ago)
I only clicked on the thread in hope there would be pictures of lingerie.
haha literally I feel you with the can opener and granny pants issue. Got to love Marks and Sparks. I'm off to Plymouth so we are both in the South! Good luck
hahhaha same..

lol jk (and hope you were too)
Reply 4
Chapter 2:
Sup lads and ladettes. 👬👭

Don't know if you all have been getting tonnes of these invites on FB to join fresher's group chats, halls chats, flat chats and all that jazz? Well I have. #popular 💁💤lol
But actually its annoying the heck of me.
Everyone seems to be already chatting to their flatmates* and getting to know every detail of their lives. But no, not me. I'm ghosting 👻. Sitting silently in the dark so on moving weekend i'll turn up and be like SURPRISE *****ES!

☝🏻🙀

Buttt think it will be more like this...

lol.
In all seriousness, they won't give a single ****. I'm basically just not in the mood to talk to people rn. I Cba to make an effort and pretend to be normal its still summer. I'm just in lounging around enjoying doing jack ****. Really selling myself to you all. But life is literally bliss. Mum is paying extra attention to me (much to the annoyance of my siblings 😏) *evil cackle* I have no responsibilities and I'm taking full advantage. Its not like i'm going to have this again. haha
Speaking of doing **** all, I cannot even tell you the amount of buzzfeed quizzes that I have done. Its actually embarrassing. I probably should get a medal. 🥇🙈 Turns out my firstborn should be called Jackson, I love food more than people, I'm more Gretchen than Karen and I'm the Tisty Tosty bath bomb from lush. Productive, I know.
I SWEAR I'm not a lazy **** I'm just saving my energy for freshers. Hahaha.
ANYWAY. I'm on holiday in Cornwall with my family at the moment, enjoying that 'quality time' (like we haven't had enough of that over the last 19 years) But nah, its a laugh and I'm enjoying the last of free food. 🍔🍕🥗🧀🥙🍟🥐🍳🥔
I'll be rolling to uni at this rate
On that note, it's dinner time. TTYL.

Annon xoxo

*Well I haven't found out my flat yet. But then again I haven't checked my emails in a longgg while.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Chapter 3:

Hey hey hey, So today's post might be a bit more melodramatic than usual, which might have something to do with the fact that I literally just watched the notebook for the FIRST TIME, yes people took me this long. 😭 Anyway, I've been starting to have cold feet, pre-uni jitters as they say. Up until this point I've been pretty okay, mostly excited as the getting all new **** is the fun part. But some things are starting to sink in as I'm getting more and more emails. Anyone else? I'm just getting super nervous and I feel almost like my confidence in myself has been knocked. 😬 I'm normally quite a confident person, though this is quite a recent development in my personality. Literally its just been this year that I've actually found some confidence and realised that I'm awesome (not in a big headed way lol) err but I mean that I actually now realise that if I want to do something, I ****ing can. Like anything I want to do, i can freaking do it. Yes i know thats such a cliche and i sound like a cringe motivational video on youtube but its ****ing true. (my point is obviously serious based on the amount of times i used the word '****). 💪🏼 💪🏼 💪🏼 BASICALLY, I wanted to go to Uni FIT AS ****, you know looking damn hot and turning up to freshers having got ripped over summer. 💁👙👅

But basically that hasn't happened, surprise surprise. I don't understand why....

🌭 🍔 🍟 🥙 🌮 🌯 🥗 well as per ive been a lazy ****. I'm not obese but I'm not skinny. I'm womanly as they say. But it's not what I want. I legit feel that everyone else is going to turn up with these bangin' bods and I'm going to be this little dumpling (or ugly duckling rather) 🦆 Am I being ridiculous? Thats a rhetorical question, i know i am. I just need to vent to random internet people. I have waves of feeling like 'i love my bod, these rolls are womanly'. But if i'm honest I want to be, you know, be looking fierce. 🔥🔥

#firstworldproblems I'm self centred, yep. 💁 Seriously, I know its stupid but it really makes me nervous about going to Uni. That and the fear that i'll end up in a flat with weirdo's and *****es keeps me up at night- (watching shameless). Anyway, I thought I'd update you on that. Most people seem excited, desperate to escape their boring towns and parents. But I guess everyone has a panic about something. I'll be fine tomorrow after I do a plank or some ****. xoxoxo Anon
(edited 6 years ago)
this blog is actually great 😂
Your bangin' linguine made me laugh! Hope you're having the best time :banana2:

Emma

Original post by ExeterAnon
Took a trip to M&S #classic and bought some bangin' linguine.
Reply 8
haha thanks Emma!

Check out my blog and give it a follow for more updates

https://anonexeter.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/chapter-11-dropping-out.html

xoxo
Reply 9
ahha thanks, give it a follow for more updates!

xoxox

https://anonexeter.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/chapter-11-dropping-out.html
CHAPTER 4:

Yo 💩💩

Ngl, been feeling pretty *****y for the last week or so, hence no recent posts. I didn't really know what the **** to say. I wanted to keep this . bog light hearted and basically taking the piss out of myself and not talk about the deep ****- Coz thats what tumblr is for.

But whats the point of having an anonymous blog if you're not telling the truth? SO **** it.

Idk why but its legit like i've got the hormones of a pregnant women/ girl hitting puberty/ girl on her period. Thats no lie. 🤰🏻***

I went to Aldi with my mum yesterday #thuglife to get stuff for uni and I literally cried in the middle of the store.

I continued to cry on the ay home.

Cried also when my mum made spaghetti.
(and then gave me ice-cream)

My little brother looked at me like I was retarded. But shrugged it off coz im weird anyway.

THE FLOOD GATES HAVE OPENED PEOPLE AND IDK HOW TO ****ING SHUT THEM.

Literally im not this girl, I've lived away thousands of miles from my home and family before, wtf is happening to me. Think my mum is putting hormones in my cereal or something as she wants me to be upset about leaving. Seriously wtf is wrong.

Its actually making me feel better writing this as I can read how freaking stupid it sounds. I'm just **** scared. BUT Y THO??????????Please tell me that i'm not alone in this hormonal overload. I am freaking the **** out for no apparent reason. Its not like I want to stay in this mind numbingly boring town, nor have to share a shower with 5 other people (inc 2 hormonal teenage boys). YUK. I literally have been waiting for this day for the past four years. But now its nearly here I AM A MESS. lol dont worry peeps, what goes down must go up. I'll perk up. xoxoox

** Dont worry mom im not preggars
(edited 6 years ago)
Chapter 5:

HEY

So yea i'm ****ing here and its been like 5 weeks. Kinda got caught up in the whole uni thing, oops. But here is basically what happened -

So moving in was a bit of a mind****, I'd been so freaking excited for it, felt like the past month had just been leading up to that moment. So after a boring and slightly uncomfortable drive down (being being squished in the back of the car with useless shite) I got to Exeter. 🚗🚓

Unloaded the car blah blah blah, said goodbye and I was on my own. In the kitchen I met my first flatmate, lets call him Ben. Indie kid, nice, polite. Doesn't seem like a weirdo, phew. We hung out there for a bit and slowly more flatmates came in. Why is this is such a blur? There is gap in my mind as all i can remember next is that we are all sitting round the table.

Steph, Ryan, James, Katie and Ellie.😬 (oh and another Asian guy, but he would remain a mystery)

All seem normal. THANK THE LORD.

But besides ben i can't really remember my first opinions on anyone. Katie intimidated me a bit but the others draw a blank.

When i get nervous I get so overly confident, literally I'm so loud and people get a false impression of me. Basically me and Ben commanded the night- forcing drinking games on everyone. Tbf it was a really good ice-breaker. 🍹🍸🍾
Paying 'Never have I ever' ( #classic ) confirms they are all okay. (ish- but i wouldn't know that until later)

We go over the classic questions, where are you from? What are you studying? All that crap I completely forgot and would continue to ask over the next week. I barely remembered their names, i was just trying to keep my hands from shaking.

Felt like I was in an episode of fresh meat or something.

We got drunk and went out. Its such a crazy thing, if you think about it, you are getting drunk with a complete group of strangers. Weirder still, you kinda know (or hope) that these people might become your best friends. These strangers in a few weeks will know me pretty ****ing well, but right then I wouldn't have been able to tell you 3 facts about them.

Turns out freshers can be ****ing boring.😪You go out every night, thats great and all but no one tells you what the hell you are supposed to do for hours upon hours in the day with these randoms. We did a lot of sitting in the kitchen, going for brunch and 'exploring'. It got old pretty quick after the first few days.

Freshers summed up:

1) We go out, mostly to the same place, which is ****, but we've got wristbands.

2) A girl tells me she thinks we are already 'so close' - spoiler, barely speak now. 🤣

3) I can hardly eat, I'm so nervous/ slightly homesick and just completely disorientated.

4) I feel like I'm about to experience the best thing everrrr (cringe now)

Not to be a bummer but uni isn't all its cracked up to be. Silly fresher, I didn't know this yet.

So yea, thats pretty much my first few days. I got the dreaded flu (5 weeks later, ive still got a cold, yum). Managed not to die, so thats always a plus.

Week 1

Love,
Anon xoxo
Chapter 6:

Sup?

So second week brought a new **** storm of problems, from homesickness to the realisation that I have to study meant I felt like utter ****. Woo so positive. 🤙👏🙌

Basically this is going to sound so freaking stupid, but I didn't really think about the work, only thought about the fun side of uni and not everything that comes alongside it.
Dumb Ikr. 🤦*♀️

Literally i'ts the scariest thing, you are living with ****ing strangers who are the only friends you've got at the moment, you try to get to know them whilst simultaneously trying to meet new people and you have to cook, clean, shop, eat and keep yourself sane. ITS NOT FUN,

Never would I do this again. NOPE. Not for all the tea in China.

And what do you do with yourself in the evenings? I didn't want to be in my room alone all ****ing night yet its exhausting trying to make small talk with people you're not sure about.
Don't get me wrong its still fun (kinda). I realised quickly that you just have to put in the groundwork, you cant expect to come and make besties 4 evaaa straight away 🙄😂

Week 2

Yea basically stressed sums up week 2. But it gets better.

Anon xxxx
For updates weekly check out my actual blog. Link in Bio xxxx
Chapter 7:

HEY.

So yea things are kinda settling down, felt a little less ill but not completely over freshers flu lol, weakling that I am.

Not sure about my course, the people are all nice but I feel so ****ing stupid. Literally there is a guy who went to Eaton. ****ing Eaton. Didn't think those boys existed in the real world. He's so posh. Also there is so much bloody reading. 🤓 I cant deal.
I'm trying to have a life + friends and it freaking impossible with what we have to do. Legit I have to look up every second word. WTF

Society wise i've joined Sailing with my flatmate Ellie. Yah, Oh I know, so Exetarrrr. But we wanted to join a 'sport' so classic me, went for the most unsporty sport. 👏👏
Tbf Sailing so far has been hilarious, basically its aload of (very nice) but extremely posh people talking about regattas, yachts and lots of terms I don't remember. I feel so posh rn.

Bringing it down in class, I also joined pole dancing. Mum was not pleased.

(actual footage of me) * jk

Oh yea, I also joined my degree society, whoop and volunteering but being honest I probably wont ever do any actual volunteering, I just felt guilty walking past the stand....

What else has happened? Um not a fat lot. We spend A lottttt of time in the kitchen. Well me, Ellie, Ryan and James do. Just chatting **** and having a group existential crisis/ therapy session. All considered dropping out, but I think we will survive.

Basically uni is not what I expected it to be, but i'm just going to stick it out.

Week 3

Anon xoxo

Click the follow button for updates...
Chapter 8:

So, i've looked into my options, considered a sugar daddy and tried to find a 'high paying job for uni drop outs' but nada. Even a one-way ticket to Timbuktu wasn't a good option, so gotta stick this out.
This is life.

Thank God i've got three people who I can really count on, though sometimes its still tough to work out if they actually like me or not. I can be a bit insecure like that. It's hard to come from home where you've got a solid group of people who you trust and have known for years to this.

Anyway, I went to visit my bestie at her uni at the weekend. So weird to leave campus for the first time, its like I've left this little bubble. Had such a blast seeing her, it was a little bit of home being with her and that's just what I needed. It was also good to gain some perspective as it made me realise how much I actually do like Exeter, its small and yes the nightlife may be **** but I low key love it.

Got four essay topics given to me this week. AHHH *****. But they are not due until after reading week so i'll blag it all then. (Still don't know the difference between formative and summative- which i think is pretty important?) ah well.

Until next time,
Anon xxxx

Follow and leave a comment :smile:
Chapter 9:

It's week 5!!!

As if.
It's Monday and this weekend has been great, my younger sister came to visit me- just what i needed. 👭. Weekends can be hard as there seems like there is nothing to do but work or drink,
So her being here made me go out and do things, lots of drinking and no working. ( it became rather expensive)

(JK I LEGIT HUGGED HER TO DEATH)

We went shopping and walked down to the Quay- which guys if you've ever done- ITS ****ING FAR. yes I'm lazy af. She kept calling me grandma as I wanted 'rests' 👵😂. We ate copious amounts of food. YUM YUM YUM. 🍰🍦🍔🍕🍪
I attempted to 'cook' nachos, but forgot the gauc. cry cry. #firstworldproblems

Sophie (my sister) LOVED uni life, I took her out to the Lemmy (the *****y campus 'club') which was her fist ever night out and she had such a good time. Having her here put me at ease, though it was sad to drop her off at the station this morning but oh well. - Reading week is coming up and I'll defo be going home so wont be long before I see her.

Felt a bit **** after she went, but got high with my flatmates which was jokes. 🍁 l
Ellie is literally the biggest lightweight ever, and watching her space out distracted me. She began singing Wikipedia articles to the tune of Disney- its probably funnier if you were there.
But its kinda an insight to what my flat are like. They are just really chilled and not judgmental, tbf they sometimes feel like my annoying siblings.

So yea thats week 5. One more to go and then i get to go homeeeee! 🙏

******** myself as I've got a presentation next Friday and I hate public speaking, its not even funny how shaky I get. But oh well.

Lots of love

Anon xxx
So... much... cringe...
Original post by AngeryPenguin
So... much... cringe...

ikr lol

Quick Reply

Latest