The Student Room Group

How can I improve?

Got my AS maths result back and achieved just under 90%. I'm really happy on one level, as it'll give me some breathing room next year. The thing is, I worked very hard and thought I could achieve higher.

I was just wondering if there was any way to increase my efficiency, instead of just doing hours of revision in the textbook, and repeating the past papers. I'm pretty good at maths and got almost full marks in Core 2, but find that I make so many silly mistakes, that just eat me alive.

TLDR; How can I improve my efficiency in studying maths and how can I make fewer mistakes - is there a secret method of checking :wink:.
Bump.
Original post by CentralPotential
Got my AS maths result back and achieved just under 90%. I'm really happy on one level, as it'll give me some breathing room next year. The thing is, I worked very hard and thought I could achieve higher.

I was just wondering if there was any way to increase my efficiency, instead of just doing hours of revision in the textbook, and repeating the past papers. I'm pretty good at maths and got almost full marks in Core 2, but find that I make so many silly mistakes, that just eat me alive.

TLDR; How can I improve my efficiency in studying maths and how can I make fewer mistakes - is there a secret method of checking :wink:.

Great work!

Doing past papers is probably the most efficient way to revise mathematics. It's just one of those things you'll need to get used to, unfortunately!
As you do more practice, you'll soon make less mistakes
Original post by Blue_Cow
Great work!

Doing past papers is probably the most efficient way to revise mathematics. It's just one of those things you'll need to get used to, unfortunately!
As you do more practice, you'll soon make less mistakes

Thanks for the response. I did the past papers several times over, which helped and formed the basis of my revision. Not really looking at Cambridge, so my UMS doesn't matter to much, but still feel like I missed out a bit.

Also anyone know how much harder C3 and C4 are compared to C2? I found C2 dead easy, but the A2 modules look like quite a step up.

Thanks
Original post by CentralPotential
Thanks for the response. I did the past papers several times over, which helped and formed the basis of my revision. Not really looking at Cambridge, so my UMS doesn't matter to much, but still feel like I missed out a bit.

Also anyone know how much harder C3 and C4 are compared to C2? I found C2 dead easy, but the A2 modules look like quite a step up.

Thanks

C2 to C3 is a fairly easy jump

C3 to C4 can be a bit too much for some people, but doable.
My advice would be to try the MadAsMaths papers, but the ones towards the end. Also try doing the solomons papers.
C3 and C4 definitely aren't a walk in the park. I sat them this year and they were harder than any of the past papers I had tried, and year on year they will just continue to get more difficult. So my advice is to try those harder papers so you're prepared for any curveball they'll send your way, and to know those textbooks inside out.
It's easy to get the 480 UMS for an A, but to push for that A* you need to be exceptional, it isn't easy to get that 90 UMS average over C3 and C4.
Good luck for next year!
Original post by james0902
My advice would be to try the MadAsMaths papers, but the ones towards the end. Also try doing the solomons papers.
C3 and C4 definitely aren't a walk in the park. I sat them this year and they were harder than any of the past papers I had tried, and year on year they will just continue to get more difficult. So my advice is to try those harder papers so you're prepared for any curveball they'll send your way, and to know those textbooks inside out.
It's easy to get the 480 UMS for an A, but to push for that A* you need to be exceptional, it isn't easy to get that 90 UMS average over C3 and C4.
Good luck for next year!

I did most, if not all of the madas papers (I appreciated the way they gave you very little to go on) and some of the solomon (I am on AQA), so I'm just worried I've capped a bit.

I definitely want to try the harder stuff, so classroom content seems easier, so would you recommend finishing C3 and C4 in say 2 months i.e. going ahead of the class and then self studying FP1-4 and maybe some of those uni entrance exam papers. Reckon this would help? Then if I didn't get into uni, I could do the further maths a level in my gap year, after having a head start.

I know I seem a bit keen, but I just want to smash my exams. Its not like I'm looking to do maths at uni either, I'm applying to medicine, but really want to be the best I can.

Thanks!
Anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest