The Student Room Group

i peel the skin off my feet to the point i cant walk

i need some advice guys lol
sorry if its disgusting i know it kind of is

so i have this weird habit where i would peel the skin off my feet, especially the bottom of the toes and the heels. it started when i cut the skin on my foot and then it was taking long to heal so i kept scratching it and stuff and it got to the point where it gives me so much satisfaction to do it that i even use scissors to cut the skin and then keep peeling it off
then i get little wounds all over my feet and it even bleeds sometimes and its all nasty and gross i know it

but now the problem is i know i shouldnt do it but i still do anyway
and no i dont have much stress in my life or anything i just do it because its so satisfying

is there anything i can do about it lol my feet hurt and i cant walk comfortably
You need help.
see a doctor
or a therapist
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
i need some advice guys lol
sorry if its disgusting i know it kind of is

so i have this weird habit where i would peel the skin off my feet, especially the bottom of the toes and the heels. it started when i cut the skin on my foot and then it was taking long to heal so i kept scratching it and stuff and it got to the point where it gives me so much satisfaction to do it that i even use scissors to cut the skin and then keep peeling it off
then i get little wounds all over my feet and it even bleeds sometimes and its all nasty and gross i know it

but now the problem is i know i shouldnt do it but i still do anyway
and no i dont have much stress in my life or anything i just do it because its so satisfying

is there anything i can do about it lol my feet hurt and i cant walk comfortably

Sounds like some form of compulsive skin picking. It's a recognised condition which you can find advice and support for online.
Best thing to do is make an appointment with your GP to discuss it. They can give you advice and a referral to a therapy service if needed.

I would think that some form of therapy (possibly CBT) would be helpful for you. It looks at negative behaviours and thought patterns and how you can reduce them. You might want to ask your GP about that.

Please don't be embarrassed to seek professional help. They see all sorts of things and are trained to deal with them professionally. This isn't going to bother them.

In the meantime, my advice would be try to distract yourself and keep any wounds clean. It might help to wear socks and to find an alternative thing to do when you get the urge to puck. Maybe pick at blue tac or cover something with glue and peel it off. You can also get games on your phone where you tap along to music which can be great at taking your focus.

Hope that helps. :smile:
i have this problem. not just on feet but fingers as well, never really thought about it until someone told me by noticing my fingers.
hi, i also do this and what i did to make the pain stop a bit was i ordered like heel socks with gel pads in them to soften it a bit when i walk, it helps a lot
Original post by username3239272
see a doctor
or a therapist

See both, OP

Latest