Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

finding a job in lancaster watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey ppl i am off to lancaster univeristy this sept, would i be able to find a job ( 3-4 pounds an hr)... just to support the living expenses???.. i am really worried need ur help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omr63)
    Hey ppl i am off to lancaster univeristy this sept, would i be able to find a job ( 3-4 pounds an hr)... just to support the living expenses???.. i am really worried need ur help
    try Asda, Sainsbury's, Morrisons or tesco's they employ students.

Try the multitude of bars too.

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster is a small place and there are approx. 11,000 students. Subsequently there are not enough jobs to go round and those that are available get taken very quickly.

Basic laws of supply and demand also tell us that as a result of the high numbers of people seeking employment and low numbers of jobs pay is low.

ReputationRep:
    I've got my job sorted there before I've even arrived

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Lancaster is a small place and there are approx. 11,000 students. Subsequently there are not enough jobs to go round and those that are available get taken very quickly.

Basic laws of supply and demand also tell us that as a result of the high numbers of people seeking employment and low numbers of jobs pay is low.
    Still if you apply to them all and also send off a letter with your CV to loads of smaller shops and things you're bound to get one, or just visit the job centre, they're normally begging to give people jobs. Best place to go first.

ReputationRep:
    how did u get the job b4 arriving ??... and what job , details plz

ReputationRep:
    Getting work in the big L is pretty tough. Do you have any special skills that might help you? (I did chem at uni - there are a couple of chemical companies in the city).

ReputationRep:
    work as in part time , chemistry boy ..those 4 pound/hr ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omr63)
    work as in part time , chemistry boy ..those 4 pound/hr ones
    Yes, I did an 8 hour Saturday shift at Lancaster Synthesis for about £5/hr. Don't get cocky with me.

ReputationRep:
    No offense dude, not getting cocky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omr63)
    No offense dude, not getting cocky
    Just checking

There are a few temping agencies in Lancaster, if you don't mind part-time factory work (it's better paid, so you can do less of it).

ReputationRep:
    thanks mate, i dont mind factory work , but how far are they from the uni and what do they pay?? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omr63)
    thanks mate, i dont mind factory work , but how far are they from the uni and what do they pay?? thanks

Well there are hunderds of factorys, so it depends which one you go to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omr63)
    how did u get the job b4 arriving ??... and what job , details plz
    I'm transferring between branches of the shop I work for.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.