This discussion is closed.
Zzz098
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I did badly on my A levels. I had no extenuating circumstances, i was just cocky leaving it to the last minute getting BCD. Although through clearing i managed to get onto the university of essex foundation year course. I dont want to continue onto the degree at essex and would prefer to attend a RG uni at least e.g. birmingham maybe even LSE.
So should i continue with my foundation year or retake independently?
Tyde_dv12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's no guarantee that you'll do well when you retake your A levels. Whilst doing a foundation degree will mean you will do the degree you want to, just a year later (said assuming you pass the first year). Also, the foundation year is really helpful and will make the first year a lot easier for you.

Essex isn't a bad uni. Top 30 or so. But if you're certain you have the capability of entering a RG uni upon retaking your A levels.. without a doubt, then you could consider it I suppose.
Zzz098
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Tyde_dv12)
There's no guarantee that you'll do well when you retake your A levels. Whilst doing a foundation degree will mean you will do the degree you want to, just a year later (said assuming you pass the first year). Also, the foundation year is really helpful and will make the first year a lot easier for you.

Essex isn't a bad uni. Top 30 or so. But if you're certain you have the capability of entering a RG uni upon retaking your A levels.. without a doubt, then you could consider it I suppose.
I got a B in psychology, C in biology and D in chemistry. Im getting the biology remarked as i was 1 mark off so hopefully it should become a B. Therefore ill only have to retake the chemistry which i can drag up to an A hopefully by june.
However, i've spoken to some unis (KCL) who have said to transfer to their course i would need to get 70-80%.
So I really dont know which option to pick.
Tyde_dv12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zzz098)
I got a B in psychology, C in biology and D in chemistry. Im getting the biology remarked as i was 1 mark off so hopefully it should become a B. Therefore ill only have to retake the chemistry which i can drag up to an A hopefully by june.
However, i've spoken to some unis (KCL) who have said to transfer to their course i would need to get 70-80%.
If I was you and KCL told me get 70-80% in your foundation year at Essex and we'll let you transfer to us after. I would definitely take that opportunity instead of retaking A levels.
newar
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi what did you end up doing? I'm have a similar situation...
Villop
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you just finished your A levels. If so what did you get.
btoel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, idk whether you're will answer but I I got the same a levels like u this year and I don't know whether to retake bio and chem or do a foundation year. Would love you to help me and tell me where u are at now thank you x
btoel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, idk whether you're will answer but I I got the same a levels like u this year and I don't know whether to retake bio and chem or do a foundation year. Would love you to help me and tell me where u are at now thank you x
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by btoel)
The thread is 3 years old.
Retake.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads