The Student Room Group

Can I bring my desktop computer to Cambridge?

Hi, I got into Pembroke College to study Medicine (yay :biggrin: ) and I was wondering if I could bring with me my desktop as well as my laptop? I prefer to do work and browsing on my laptop but everything else (like games and communications) on my desktop.
Thank you for any advice :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by P3dro
Hi, I got into Pembroke College to study Medicine (yay :biggrin: ) and I was wondering if I could bring with me my desktop as well as my laptop? I prefer to do work and browsing on my laptop but everything else (like games and communications) on my desktop.

Of course you can bring it - what makes you think you couldn't?

If you can bring a rice cooker, I'm damn sure you can bring a desktop computer. And there's a lot of rice cookers at Cambridge.
Reply 2
Original post by P3dro

Take a pic of your desktop.
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Of course you can bring it - what makes you think you couldn't?

If you can bring a rice cooker, I'm damn sure you can bring a desktop computer. And there's a lot of rice cookers at Cambridge.

Well I haven't seen the accommodation at Pembroke so I wasn't sure if there'd be enough space for it along with a monitor I guess :smile: I also read there's a 10GB a day limit but I'm guessing that's quite a lot?
Original post by P3dro

As long as you register it (usually with porters) when you bring it for the first time and have it officially stamped (will get a sticker on your stuff), you can bring in various kinds of electric goods. (But usually not a mini-fridge, except for a few colleges)

But bear in mind, you'll have to empty your room at the end of each and every term, so make sure your (or your parents') car has enough space for that too, 6 times a year.
Original post by P3dro
Well I haven't seen the accommodation at Pembroke so I wasn't sure if there'd be enough space for it along with a monitor I guess :smile: I also read there's a 10GB a day limit but I'm guessing that's quite a lot?

Limit can be different from college to college but usually generous enough for all the need for your academic work and some reasonable amount of recreationally use.
A desk is generally a good size. At least as bid as most people have as their desk at home, often slightly larger than a standard type.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
If you can bring a rice cooker.

Some colleges won't let you bring a rice cooker :tongue:
Original post by alow

Yours? :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by vincrows
Yours? :tongue:

Yep. Anything that can heat food = not allowed.
Reply 9
As long as you register it (usually with porters) when you bring it for the first time and have it officially stamped (will get a sticker on your stuff), you can bring in various kinds of electric goods. (But usually not a mini-fridge, except for a few colleges)

But bear in mind, you'll have to empty your room at the end of each and every term, so make sure your (or your parents':wink: car has enough space for that too, 6 times a year.

So 6 times a year I'll completely empty the room, go home and then come back to put it all back again? :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by alow

Oh that's unlucky. What college?
Reply 11
Original post by P3dro
So 6 times a year I'll completely empty the room, go home and then come back to put it all back again? :biggrin:

Yup, pretty much.
Original post by P3dro

Yes.
The reason accommodation cost tends to be cheaper at Cambridge is because you only pay for the period you & your stuff are actually 'living in' it.
That's the catch.
There's no such thing as free lunch. :wink:

Edit
Some colleges allow you to leave some stuff in a lockable part of your wardrobe. = about a half of small wardrobe.
And some colleges offer (very limited) storage space for non-international older students too.
But I think I'd be better to mentally prepare yourself (and your parents) such possibility can be a luxury you may not get
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Yes.
The reason accommodation cost tends to be cheaper at Cambridge is because you only pay for the period you & your stuff are actually 'living in' it.
That's the catch.
There's no such thing as free lunch. :wink:

Edit
Some colleges allow you to leave some stuff in a lockable part of your wardrobe. = about a half of small wardrobe.
And some colleges offer (very limited) storage space for non-international older students too.
But I think I'd be better to mentally prepare yourself (and your parents) such possibility can be a luxury.

I was quite surprised how large the storage cupboards are in the Typewriter. But yeah, varies by College (and staircase probably...).
Original post by alow

So as long as OP doesn't cook their meal with their PC, it's alright then! :biggrin:
Original post by P3dro
I also read there's a 10GB a day limit but I'm guessing that's quite a lot?

I relate to this, Trinity Hall has a 34GB/term limit - I've used 150GB in the last 30 days... Thankfully it's only 10p per GB extra :biggrin:
Original post by P3dro

The clue is in the word 'vacation', which means 'the act of making vacant', to empty'. It does not mean, in this context, 'holiday'.
Original post by alow

Are you seriously trying to tell me that there's colleges in Cambridge without rice cookers... I thought you got one when you matriculated :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Are you seriously trying to tell me that there's colleges in Cambridge without rice cookers... I thought you got one when you matriculated :tongue:

There's always the microwave I guess.

This is pretty good:
http://sistemaplastics.com/products/microwave/rice-steamer
Original post by Doonesbury
There's always the microwave I guess.

This is pretty good:
http://sistemaplastics.com/products/microwave/rice-steamer

:lol: Perhaps they ought to replace the Benin Bronze with one of those at Jesus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending