The Student Room Group

Questions about medicine

Background info:

I've been thinking a lot lately about what I want to do in the future and I've decided I really want to do medicine. I've always considered it because a close relative passed away 6 years ago from cancer and I've wanted to do something medical/biological since then. I don't care about the pay, I just want to help people and love learning about the human body/diseases etc.

I'm going into year 11 and I'm predicted; grade 9s in Biology, Maths, Geography and RE; grade 8s in Chemistry, English Language and English Literature; grade 7s in French and Physics.

At sixth form I'll probably take Biology, Chemistry and Maths and do an EPQ at some point. I'm only doing Chemistry for medicine, as I don't particularly enjoy it at GCSE and wouldn't take it otherwise.

I also want to take a gap year after sixth form to get some extra work experience. I'm also hoping to volunteer at my local hospital after year 11 and throughout sixth form.

Questions:
- Is it possible to take a gap year with medicine? If so can I apply to uni after I get my grades or would I have to apply at the same time as people not taking a gap year?
- How much work experience is recommended for medicine?
- Do you have to pay to sit the UKCAT?
- Is medicine a good enough reason to take Chemistry A level or will I regret it?
- If I get my predicted GCSE's next year are they good enough?
- Any other tips/advice for medicine?

Thanks to anyone who replies.
My daughter was the same with chemistry but it's necessary for medicine and dentistry so she got through It!
Reply 2
It's perfectly possible to take a gap year for medicine. You can apply for deferred entry while in U6th (i.e. the same time as everyone else) or wait and apply the following year. If your predicted grades are up to scratch I'd recommend going for deferred entry, because that way if you don't get in you still have another shot the next year without having to change any plans.

There isn't a set amount of work experience that is "enough" for medicine. What you want is an insight into life as a doctor, to help you decide whether it's right for you or not. Generally trying to get some time in hospital and some time in GP is ideal, but admissions tutors know this isn't possible for everyone. On top of that you should be looking for some long-term volunteering work in a caring capacity (care home, hospice, hospital volunteering etc) to help develop relevant skills for medicine.

If you want to do medicine, chemistry A-level is fairly non-negotiable, I'm afraid. I loved mine so can't really compare experiences. As for GCSEs, nobody's quite sure what requirements will be with the new grades, but if you were to translate those directly into A*/A/B, they'd be ok for most unis except the most GCSE-heavy ones.
Original post by Helenia
It's perfectly possible to take a gap year for medicine. You can apply for deferred entry while in U6th (i.e. the same time as everyone else) or wait and apply the following year. If your predicted grades are up to scratch I'd recommend going for deferred entry, because that way if you don't get in you still have another shot the next year without having to change any plans.

There isn't a set amount of work experience that is "enough" for medicine. What you want is an insight into life as a doctor, to help you decide whether it's right for you or not. Generally trying to get some time in hospital and some time in GP is ideal, but admissions tutors know this isn't possible for everyone. On top of that you should be looking for some long-term volunteering work in a caring capacity (care home, hospice, hospital volunteering etc) to help develop relevant skills for medicine.

If you want to do medicine, chemistry A-level is fairly non-negotiable, I'm afraid. I loved mine so can't really compare experiences. As for GCSEs, nobody's quite sure what requirements will be with the new grades, but if you were to translate those directly into A*/A/B, they'd be ok for most unis except the most GCSE-heavy ones.

Thank you :smile: I'll probably go for deferred entry then. Am I right that you can only apply to 4 medical schools?

The sixth form I'll be applying to has a medical society which organises voluntary placements in hospitals and GP clinics, so that shouldn't be a problem (if I get in :biggrin:). I also live near a lot of care homes so I could ask there too.

I thought it was. I'll probably do it, I should be fine as long as I get my head down. The new grades are translated like this (according to my school):
9 = A**
8 = A*
7 = A
6 = B
5 = C+
4 = C-
3 = D
2 = E
1 = F/G

So I'm predicted 2 A's, 3 A*'s and 4 A**'s.

Quick Reply

Latest