Summer babies less likely to go Russell Group Uni Watch

summer1311
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago

Students born in the summer are less likely to go to university than their Autumn counterparts, with those born in October particularly over-represented at Russell Group universities.

The RG universities with the most over-representation of October babies are LSE (with the biggest difference between October and July than any other uni), Cambridge, Durham , Imperial and Oxford.

(Insert october related gif here: )

Between 2013 and 2016 a total of 1,289 students born in October went to Cambridge University.
This was 9.4 per cent of all undergraduates.

Across the elite Russell Group of universities this figure was 8.9 per cent.

Those born in November are also more likely to go to university. On the Manchester Evening News page there is a tool to see how likely you are to go to a specific RG uni based on the month you were born.

"In July and August Oxford and Cambridge had a particularly wide gap - the average for the two elite universities was as high as 9.4 per cent of students born in October compared to just 7.8 per cent born in August"

"Academics and campaigners have long been concerned that summer-born children face disadvantages in class that have a lasting impact on their schoolwork"

Are you a summer baby at uni? Did you find it more difficult throughout school because of your age in comparison to your peers? Obviously, if you want to go to uni, it's more down to your motivation and effort at school than your birthday, but its interesting to see how it impacts intake! Let me know what you think!

Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Absolute load of nonsense, it's because more people are born in autumn so of course more people at uni are going to have birthdays in autumn.
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by summer1311)

Students born in the summer are less likely to go to university than their Autumn counterparts, with those born in October particularly over-represented at Russell Group universities.

The RG universities with the most over-representation of October babies are LSE (with the biggest difference between October and July than any other uni), Cambridge, Durham , Imperial and Oxford.

(Insert october related gif here: )

Between 2013 and 2016 a total of 1,289 students born in October went to Cambridge University.
This was 9.4 per cent of all undergraduates.

Across the elite Russell Group of universities this figure was 8.9 per cent.

Those born in November are also more likely to go to university. On the Manchester Evening News page there is a tool to see how likely you are to go to a specific RG uni based on the month you were born.

"In July and August Oxford and Cambridge had a particularly wide gap - the average for the two elite universities was as high as 9.4 per cent of students born in October compared to just 7.8 per cent born in August"

"Academics and campaigners have long been concerned that summer-born children face disadvantages in class that have a lasting impact on their schoolwork"

Are you a summer baby at uni? Did you find it more difficult throughout school because of your age in comparison to your peers? Obviously, if you want to go to uni, it's more down to your motivation and effort at school than your birthday, but its interesting to see how it affects intake! Let me know what you think!

I'm born in June and I don't think that I'm disadvantaged. I haven't applied yet so who knows?
UWS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm born in autumn but I like to be different from the norm.
username3025040
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a November baby. Just missed optimum birth time. Should've left the womb earlier. :shakecane:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (32)
19.05%
Labour (68)
40.48%
Liberal Democrats (34)
20.24%
Green Party (7)
4.17%
Brexit Party (4)
2.38%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (3)
1.79%
Plaid Cymru (4)
2.38%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)